The 1 thing this team is missing

Let's go ahead and add Secondary to the list after yesterday.
Some of those passes yesterday were really, really well thrown. We had good man coverage and the QB just put the ball exactly where it needed to go.

Yeah drafting a guy that averages 2 catches per game is a tough sell to any NFL franchise.
Sarcasm? CPJ has put a WR in the NFL from almost every GT team... Demaryius Thomas, DeAndre Smelter, Stephen Hill, Darren Waller, I'm forgetting a few others.

With a kicker, we beat UT. With a benevolent, loving God, we beat Miami. With a kicker or a hint of special teams, we beat UVA.

But yea, we've been up and then we've ööööed ourselves a few times this year.

... But there is one thing holding him back and it’s holding our team back: he’s selfish with the ball.

I think on Sept 4 Johnson wanted it that way with an inexperienced QB on that stage. Since it went relatively well for TM, Johnson kept rolling with it and has left it up to TM knowing TM can break one loose quicker that any A back.

GT football is the product of stubborn but brilliant coaches that fail to recognize that winning is more than X's and O's. We lack a killer instinct...an identity...a brand..call it whatever you want but in the end, when the team losing by 2 scores is making more noise on the sidelines than we are - there's an institutional problem. We put out some of the best MBAs on the planet - hire one and let that person brand a program that is known for more than just the 3O. Remember back in 2010 or whatever..our players started calling the program "da Institute" or some sh*t like that? That was kind of badass - I'm bummed we didn't build on that.

GT football is the product of stubborn but brilliant coaches that fail to recognize that winning is more than X's and O's. We lack a killer instinct...an identity...a brand..call it whatever you want but in the end, when the team losing by 2 scores is making more noise on the sidelines than we are - there's an institutional problem. We put out some of the best MBAs on the planet - hire one and let that person brand a program that is known for more than just the 3O. Remember back in 2010 or whatever..our players started calling the program "da Institute" or some sh*t like that? That was kind of badass - I'm bummed we didn't build on that.

Also in 2009 that song “all the way turnt up” would make bds go craZy, make our players go crazy, and then they stopped playing it.

What is the "brand" of Auburn football? Or Oklahoma State? Or Michigan for that matter? CPJ's offense has given us a stronger football identity than anything we've had in decades of mediocrity.

It is a different question whether we can recruit using the excellent brand that GT academics has. That's something that is a prime focus for Stansbury, and we'll see if he can do it.

Also in 2009 that song “all the way turnt up” would make bds go craZy, make our players go crazy, and then they stopped playing it.

Also Knuck if you Buck right after the band finished Bud. We started that and now you can hear it in the background at every other college game. Now we don’t play it.

Or maybe coach Marshall to throw it better.

So far, neither has occurred. Marshall looks worse these days than he did at the beginning of the year.

I pretty sure TM has more carries this season than any GT QB in a year. That affects his throwing. But I agree, he looks much worse than in the UT game.

It’s been said that good teams find ways to win games. This year we clearly have lacked what’s necessary to be considered a “good” team and it’s not something that needs a myriad of excuses (needing better players, more majors, coaching, etc). We are a handful of plays away from being 7-1...and that’s what makes it so incredibly frustrating.

That one trait this team lacks: the killer instinct. Good teams have it. Not so good teams don’t. It’s found in the team’s capacity to capitalize on the opportunity to destroy their opponents’ chances and hopes. It can be either side of the ball. Today’s exhibit A: After a poor first half, we score 2 TDs in 35 seconds to open the 2nd half and go up by 15. We have ALL of the momentum. Foot on their throats. All we needed was to get them off the field and then, offensively, chew clock and pick up some first downs. We did neither.

Our 2014 squad had the killer instinct. Occasionally defensively: created turnovers. Mostly offensively: relentless first down machine.

We have the players to compete now. Do I wish our players were bigger, stronger, faster? Sure. But even teams with those characteristics that lack the killer instinct will still come up short.

One final comment. I think Ta’quan Marshall could be the best QB we’ve ever had without equivocation. But there is one thing holding him back and it’s holding our team back: he’s selfish with the ball.

The QB play has been abysmal of late. Even when given time, he is struggling to throw a completable pass. I think he's lacking confidence in this area; early in the year I was much more enamored with his throw game.

With this years team, we really need to be able to throw the ball. Of course we're not fantastic in any of our 4 pass catching positions, but we're probably good enough. We aren't consistent enough or tough enough to establish the BB against quality teams. That being said, I wouldn't be against seeing some snaps given to whomever would be the best passer and trying to throw the ball a bit more. CPJ has actually shown a LOT of passing intent...we're calling more pass plays than actual pass attempts because TM is pulling the ball down so much.

So, how do you coach 'the killer instinct'?

You give the team new born puppies. You tell them this puppy is gonna be their best friend in the world from now on. They have to take care of them, bathe them, play with them, take them everywhere they go. When the puppies grow up to be one year old, you tell the team to bring their puppies to the warehouse. You tell them for the glory of Georgia Tech football those puppies need to die and you give them a gun. The ones who pull the trigger now have killer instinct.

You give the team new born puppies. You tell them this puppy is gonna be their best friend in the world from now on. They have to take care of them, bathe them, play with them, take them everywhere they go. When the puppies grow up to be one year old, you tell the team to bring their puppies to the warehouse. You tell them for the glory of Georgia Tech football those puppies need to die and you give them a gun. The ones who pull the trigger now have killer instinct.
And the one who starts blasting the puppies of the hesitant players without being asked, that's the new quarterback.

And the one who starts blasting the puppies of the hesitant players without being asked, that's the new quarterback.

I was thinking the gun would have blanks so we're not actually killing the puppies. Just need to see if they'd pull the trigger.

Back