The 1 thing this team is missing

I was thinking the gun would have blanks so we're not actually killing the puppies. Just need to see if they'd pull the trigger.
This plan doesn't make sense to me anymore. Just make sure there's a box of puppies at the tailgate tomorrow, I'll handle the rest.

Guys, we're missing a kicker.

With a good kicker, we win Tennessee going away. With a good kicker, UVA doesn't run one back for a TD. With a good kicker, Miami doesn't start the ball at the 40 for all of their drives. 3 games lost on kicking. We'd be a 1 loss team with a kicker.

Bama undercutting our kicking recruit probably cost us 3 games.

The QB play has been abysmal of late. Even when given time, he is struggling to throw a completable pass. I think he's lacking confidence in this area; early in the year I was much more enamored with his throw game.

With this years team, we really need to be able to throw the ball. Of course we're not fantastic in any of our 4 pass catching positions, but we're probably good enough. We aren't consistent enough or tough enough to establish the BB against quality teams. That being said, I wouldn't be against seeing some snaps given to whomever would be the best passer and trying to throw the ball a bit more. CPJ has actually shown a LOT of passing intent...we're calling more pass plays than actual pass attempts because TM is pulling the ball down so much.
Offensive line play has been much more suspect recently and I think that has played a big role in TM's inability to throw the ball. We've played some better defensive fronts too though.

Have to disagree about the B back. Benson is capable. So is Jerry Howard. I'm confident that their stats have been HINDERED by misreads.

With a good kicker, we win Tennessee going away. With a good kicker, UVA doesn't run one back for a TD. With a good kicker, Miami doesn't start the ball at the 40 for all of their drives. 3 games lost on kicking. We'd be a 1 loss team with a kicker.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.

We need to recruit a kicker EVERY dang year. Tech has had historically bad special teams due to lack of depth and us not over signing.

Miami is debatable, but kicking was definitely the difference in UVA and Tennessee. Two games a year would be worth multiple scholarships. I'm disappointed we haven't recruited a kicker in this class.

Coach Johnson seems too in love with his numbers. Got to have exactly X offensive linemen on scholarship, Y kickers, etc. If your kickers aren't getting it done, you need more. If your offensive linemen are continually attrited, you need more. If most years you have a surfeit of ABs, you need fewer. I don't care about that one year our best AB was 5'6.

Only if we’re kicking the current dude off scholarship
There's a law against having 2 scholarship kickers? If at first you don't succeed...

Back