The 3 games that will determine Gailey's future

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
The 3 games that will determine Gailey\'s future

Most everyone has scaled back their expectations for this year's version of Ga. Tech Football. There are a few "13 and 0-Baby!!" guys still out there, but most are predicting anywhere from 6-6 to 3-9. Gailey's job is safe for another year, if for no other reason than he is planning on starting a true freshman at QB. Time seems to dull people's intensity and memory of things like 7 -51....go figure.
Gailey can lose games this year to Auburn, FSU, and Georgia...and keep his job. Most everyone expects these games to be losses. Most will be happy to just see progress and effort. There are, however, 3 games that COULD get Gailey fired this year.
Three games are pivotal for Gailey. These games are the away games at Vandy, Wake Forest, and Duke. Lose 2 out of 3, or worst yet, all 3...and Gailey's as good as gone before Thanksgiving. These 3 teams are perennial bottom-feeders, and are the 3 teams that everyone secretly expects to beat year in and year out. This year should be no different in those expectations, and Tech will have the better team going into each contest.
Our murderous first 4 games will be followed by our game at Vandy. It's anyone's guess what state our football team will be in by game 5.
Wake comes a few games later, and the Deacs feel that they can now compete with, and beat us, yearly. Last year's game helped their moral as much as it harmed ours.
Duke is the last of the 3, and Ol Roof will have his boys as ready as they can possibly be.
While Tech should win all three games handily, stranger things have happened (see Tech Football 1994). Gailey's job security depends on winning at least 2 out of these 3. Losses to any of these opponents will be "eye-openers" for all those in a peaceful slumber. Two or more losses probably means that the turkey will have company on the chopping block come Holiday Season.
BOO

Re: The 3 games that will determine Gailey\'s future

What if we lose to Duke but beat UGA?

Or what if we beat NCSt and UGA but lose to Duke and Wake?

Does Gailey still go?

We never play well at Duke, and wake seems to have our number.

I don't know that losing 2 out of 3 to these teams does him in. Depends on the scenerios and other teams we beat.

If you think that after losing 2 or 3 of the "little 3" games we still could have a chance against UGA, then your argument is a fair one. Don't see it as a believable possibility, though.
BOO

There are lots and lots of things that COULD get Gailey fired. Ax murdering is one of them, unless he's at a luncheon and Beebad begins to speak. DUI is another, unless he's headed to a luncheon that Beebad is going to attend. I could just go on and on with the justifiable stuff. Hell, I just want him to coach and for our fans to stop being little whiners fantasizing about firing him.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
If you think that after losing 2 or 3 of the "little 3" games we still could have a chance against UGA, then your argument is a fair one. Don't see it as a believable possibility, though.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BDG, Apparently you didn't watch last season. We lost to Wake, but beat NCST and UVA.

Perhaps it isn't so unbelievable.

We lost 1 out of the 3 last year, not 2. I would also not put UGA in the same catagory as UVA and NCST. Tech has a good track record against both UVA and NCST.
BOO

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
We lost 1 out of the 3 last year, not 2. I would also not put UGA in the same catagory as UVA and NCST. Tech has a good track record against both UVA and NCST.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ok if it makes you happy I will edit my statement to say "if we lost to Duke and Wake, but beat NCST and UVA or UVA and MD or MD and NCST" what you think then? Point is it CAN happen and outwardly saying his job is on the line based on those 3 without looking at the whole picture doesn't seem responsible. That is all I am saying.....

Losing 2 or 3 (of the little 3) would lead one to believe or assume that Tech probably wasn't having much luck with teams like Auburn, FSU, and UGA either. My theory goes out the window with even one MAJOR upset. My hat will be off to Gailey if he manages to beat one of these "big" 3, but I don't expect it to happen.
BOO

UGA seems more plausible/likely than Auburn or FSU this year. I think MD and NCST will be better than UGA!!!!

I guess thats why we play the games. Either way with a young team like this...it is SOOOOO hard to predict week in and week out. Should be an up and down season, but fun and exciting never-the-less. 6-6 is my expectation.

BDG, I actually agree with the premise of your post with the exception of one major point. THE ONLY way CG is fired this year is if Braine is fired and the newly hired AD is adamant that he wants a new coach. CG will AT LEAST be given three years to coach, most likely 4, so get used to it. Remember, Bill Lewis took a team 2 years removed from a national championship and 1 year removed from a bowl win and in HIS THIRD year was 1-7 before he was canned.

History says he will e given this year AND next. Go ahead and brace yourself.

Ghost, I believe fate will rest not on wins and losses alone but HOW we lose.

We past another 51-7 up by Georgia it's see ya Chan.

I do agree the mediocre teams will be a barometer. I actually think Duke will be a tougher opponent than Wake, as I think Duke will be the surprise and rise to the middle of the conference standings this year.

I think the first four games appear "murderous" only because our program has fallen. I doubt too many solid teams would be making Clemson and BYU out to be as tough as we are making them. Good, yes, but just a few years ago this would have been just another game.

Auburn is legitimate, and don't think too much will ride on this game.

For Chan to survive we have to perform well. Tech fans are pretty understanding if we play well and lose. We throw in the towel and get blown out and it's another story.

I think has little margin for error if one looks only at wins/losses who is favored/underdog. A bystander would toss Auburn, Maryland, Georgia, FSU into the L column barring a major upset.

The UVA, State, Clemson, BYU games are all winnable but also will require us to play our best and hope for some breaks and a bit of an off day on the other side.

The ones I think he can't screw up on are Vandy, Wake, Duke and UNC. Unfortunately all will probably be improved and 3 out 4 are on the road. We win those four and throw in just two from the 4 winnable category we have a six win year.

Again, some losses are bigger than others and how we finish will mean more heading into the winter than how we start.

That means, compadres, I will repeat what I said last year ad nauseam, and that is that Gailey, the team, the fans and community better wake up and get some focus and intensity around the GEORGIA game and quit acting like some half-ass bowl with a 6-6 year is something to whoop about. Any Tech coach that has fire in the belly for Georgia and can beat them can erase a season of losses. I'd take that over 10 years of Silicon Valley Bowls.

I knew Bobby Dodd and a more upbeat confident person as a coach I ever met. He was positive in his outlook (and took a shine to my daughter Georgia). So what I don't understand is how could a person call himself BDG and be so negative.

Does anyone here actually believe we can afford to wait 3-4 years for Chan to make something happen? I seriously doubt with the addition of Miami and VT and an ACC that's already better overall, that waiting that long is something GT can afford to do.

Positive play and direction HAS to happen this season because it only gets tougher down the road in this conference. I for one am glad the ACC is building something special in football but under the current GT situation, sliding backwards and not improving from this point forward does not bode well. Every game this season has got to show this even if we lose.

Chan has to be at least 6-6 and show overall improvement in how the game is played, to secure another season. I agree that winning the games like Vandy, Duke, BYU, Wake and Clemson are a must. Let's remember Clemson has beaten us 2 years in a row and our games with them over the last 7 seasons have been nailbiters. This year will be no different. I actually think they will be better this season.

Ghost:
I tend to agree with your assessment. With so many perceived automatic losses on the schedule, the must win games against perceived lesser opponents become even more important.

After the dreadful end of last season, the academic causalities, the two-headed offensive co-coordinator, and the uncertainty/inexperience at QB and TB, I see a rough season ahead: 4-8, 3-9.

With so many excuses at hand, what criteria do we use to grade the team performance?
My criteria is always: Did the team improve as the season progressed? Last year was a resounding NO. What criteria does everyone else use?

The season will hold a couple of unexpected positive performances, and unexpected negative performances. The larger question remains: What direction is the program heading? I hope Tech will look at this question with logic and not excuses.

MsTech..You think that there might of been a few people that thought that way after Dodd got CLOBBERED by Uga his 1st 2 years? Oh we just cant wait 3 to 4 years on this here coach ?? Or Oleary who only beat UGA on his 5TH TRY ???

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
BDG, I actually agree with the premise of your post with the exception of one major point. THE ONLY way CG is fired this year is if Braine is fired and the newly hired AD is adamant that he wants a new coach. CG will AT LEAST be given three years to coach, most likely 4, so get used to it. Remember, Bill Lewis took a team 2 years removed from a national championship and 1 year removed from a bowl win and in HIS THIRD year was 1-7 before he was canned.

History says he will e given this year AND next. Go ahead and brace yourself.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Exactly why he should be gone if and only if this year is a disaster-because of the BL debacle. If this team fights and wins 4-5 games, and doesnt quit like UGA game, he'll be here another year...but if this team rolls over for whatever reason-both he and Braine will be gone. This is an unlikely scenario I am just saying worst case scenario he would be gone after 2. We need to learn from history...

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
Chan has to be at least 6-6 and show overall improvement in how the game is played,
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What constitutes 'improvement in how the game is played'? You've given the record he has to reach for you to accept him for another year, but what do you define as improvement?

It's our "fate" that is to be determined. "Our" means the players', the fans', the coaches', the school's.

We are talking about Georgia Tech football, which is not comprised one single person. Many posters seem to think GT football is all about them and their opinions, which is why I said once that I was tired of hearing about certain persons' navels. Or they think it's about a coach-"Chan is so bad-The fridge is so good, how could we let him go?"

That, in a nutshell, is what is so irritating about the I-hate-Chan-and-I'm-proud-of-it gang. They have forgotten how to be football fans, and have decided to be "experts." Expert in showing their butts.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
It's our "fate" that is to be determined. "Our" means the players', the fans', the coaches', the school's.

We are talking about Georgia Tech football, which is not comprised one single person. Many posters seem to think GT football is all about them and their opinions, which is why I said once that I was tired of hearing about certain persons' navels. Or they think it's about a coach-"Chan is so bad-The fridge is so good, how could we let him go?"

That, in a nutshell, is what is so irritating about the I-hate-Chan-and-I'm-proud-of-it gang. They have forgotten how to be football fans, and have decided to be "experts." Expert in showing their butts.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Winning cures all. I am a fan of Georgia Tech. I am a fan of the players who bust their butt. But opinions mean nothing about expertise. Everyone has their own eyes and own mindset of what they want at GT. They start with winning, and then divert from there. You will never have a total consensus no matter who the coach and his staff are. I would never boo as a fan at a game ever- the kids are doing thier best. But if I believe they are getting great coaching, teaching, then it shows up on the field in execution etc. If I believe they are not getting what they deserve which is great coaching and teaching in football, or support from what the AA is supposed to give them, then I will voice my opinion- and not blindly, but with information to form my opinion. Right now, I am indifferent to what is going to happen. My pereception is even with what has happened we could win 6 games with the talent we still have if they execute properly. I think we are going to win 3 because of what I have seen, heard, etc. Does that mean I am not a fan? Hell no. Have I sent a letter explaining my points of view and met with people in authority? Yes. Why? Because I am a fan and will not sit here and hide behind a chair and pray something goes differently... For this year, it is fair to give Gailey and his staff a chance to prove they can take this team and overachieve with all of the problems that have gone on. It is their job. Gailey wants to be accountable and there are no excuses if he doesnt. As a FAN, I hope he succeeds.

Back