The 3 games that will determine Gailey's future

Re: The 3 games that will determine Gailey\'s future

For me, I don't really care about wins and losses this year. Like others have said, I am looking more for improvement over the course of the season.

I am looking for discipline also. I am going to be pissed if we are still getting stupid penalties in our 8th game of the season due to lack of discipline and focus. There is no excuse for that.

My only concern is that injuries could really hurts us late in the season, and masquerade a good coaching job by Gailey. We could get blown out easily by UVA and UGA at the end of the season if our roster is simply depleted (even more than now) due to injuries. Can't blame Gailey for something like that.

Improvement is getting better in each game. Example: In 1989 GT started 0-3 and I believe that 3rd loss was against South Carolina at Columbia - a game that I went to. There were 8 of us there and we all agreed that we had seen improvement game to game at 0-3 and saw some very positive things happening on the field with that team. You could tell it was only a matter of time, similar to the '97 season with Little Joe.

Ironically, the next week we started a winning streak of 6 games including the game that we beat a very good Clemson team there in their Homecoming game. It was something that was building from the beginning and it ended with the '89 win over UGAG! There was not a backward spiral - progression from game one.

'89 ended up 7-4.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
Improvement is getting better in each game. Example: In 1989 GT started 0-3 and I believe that 3rd loss was against South Carolina at Columbia - a game that I went to. There were 8 of us there and we all agreed that we had seen improvement game to game at 0-3 and saw some very positive things happening on the field with that team. You could tell it was only a matter of time, similar to the '97 season with Little Joe.

Ironically, the next week we started a winning streak of 6 games including the game that we beat a very good Clemson team there in their Homecoming game. It was something that was building from the beginning and it ended with the '89 win over UGAG! There was not a backward spiral - progression from game one.

'89 ended up 7-4.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Exactly! And as a fan, you were happy with the results.

I understand what you're saying MTA, but what I was asking for are your signs of improvement. Beeserk said a lack of stupid penalties was one marker to look for.

I know winning is a sign of improvement, as in your example, but what in the SC game or the two prior constituted improvement and gave you a positive feeling about the rest of the season?

For me, less dumb penalties on the line (false start and holding) and clean special teams play (halo's gone right? and no blocks in the back) will be signs.

Originally posted by JacksonJacket:
I understand what you're saying MTA, but what I was asking for are your signs of improvement. Beeserk said a lack of stupid penalties was one marker to look for.

I know winning is a sign of improvement, as in your example, but what in the SC game or the two prior constituted improvement and gave you a positive feeling about the rest of the season?

For me, less dumb penalties on the line (false start and holding) and clean special teams play (halo's gone right? and no blocks in the back) will be signs.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think that is right on the money- but with freshman those things may happen just the same...I think in 89 and even if you look at the scores in '88, we really didnt BLOWN off the map like the UGA game of '03... So I think noticeable halftime adjustments will be critical as far as showing progress as a coaching staff. I think week to week if our scores are close in any losses that means the team hasnt quit on this staff- that is critical. And I think the noticeable improvement and decision-making by Ball (our most probable starter) will show good teaching and coaching. We were 3-8 in '88 but our 8 losses went like this (and it was without Shawn Jones who redshirted): -1 to UVA at UVA, -17 to Clemson (they were the cream of ACC), -8 to NC St, -5 to Maryland at Maryland, -3 to UNC at Chapel Hill, -10 to Duke (under Spurrier), -4 to Wake at Wake, and -21 to UGA (24-3) in Athens. We beat a highly ranked South Carolina team as well. Really not too bad as far as losing. No quiting at all. I think we can win 6 this year, but I think we will only win 3. But even then, if its like '88, what do you do?

How good the next year's teams are going to be always makes for interesting discussions. Everyone looks at the previous year's team and which players are coming back and projects who ought to be good. And every year by midseason much of the preseason predictions become laughable. I'd rather wait until THIS year's teams have played a few games before deciding how good they are.

MSTA, go look at the history of college football and every coach that EVER coached football at this level. You will see one really amazing thing... and that is, even successful coaches typically have to get adjusted at that respective school before they start winning.

Sure you have your exceptions, like Spurrier, and even Richt (who didn't fair so well with many dawg fans after his first year).

you need not look outside your own GT to see that even our most successful coaches took a couple of years before they got things going.

The coaches who come right in and won right away are a very small percentage of the great coaches out there. They are the exception, NOT the rule.

Look at Frank Beamer. That guy had several bad seasons before he got it going. Look at Ross. He had 2 terrible years before he turned it around. Look at even O'Leary. He had marginal success his first two seasons, but then again, he also took over a team that was 1-10.

History will indicate that for ANY school, the great coaches took 3,4 sometimes 5 years before they had major success. Many of these coaches took over BETTER programs than Chan Gailey did, and I guarantee you that they didn;t have incompetence from their school that caused crucial members of the team to fail out.

I still say one year from now CG will still be in the driver seat.

Know What?
I have seen the extremes here concerning Coach Gailey from the pratical to the rediculous. I have hoped that the GT fan base would rally around Coach Gailey from day one and give him all the support possible, but it is obvious that it ain't gonna happen. HOWEVER, I do have to agree with Ms. T.A., that Chan Gailey will have to earn her respect before it will be given to him. Can't fault her with that at all except I would have hoped to see her give him a chance of earning it over a period of at least three years. Then if the program is not at least directed in the right direction, let's hunt a coach. I personally think it could take a period of 4-5 years for him to get this thing crackin the way he wants it. BUT, I don't think the fan base will be so liberal with their patience.
Another poster stated that he could live with some of the problems but not another rout from UGA, and with quiters to boot. I gotta agree there too. I want to see some definite signs of improvement right away, and these signs are such as:
1: STOPPING THE DUMB PENALTIES: These are the morale killer penalties like jumping off sides and giving the other team a first and ten. Letting the defense pull us into a motion penalty. These are stupid penalties. Blocking in the back, holding, etc.
2: NO MORE QUITTERS: If we have a player with the quit type mentality, I hope he quits and gets out of the way before we have to count on him. Don't even want him on the sidelines.
These will get us happier with the team, but what else is there WE can do?
1: NO MORE BOOING FROM THE GT FANS: Call it whatever you like but to me it is thoroughly disgusting to hear grown people booing guys on the field who are possibly their own children. Unforgiveable.
2: Quit whinning and complaining about the Head Coach and/or his staff. I would like to see us support these people until such time as they deem themselves unworthy of our support. If this were to happen, start a campaign immediately to have them replaced. Just make sure the things that we deem unworthy are not only the win/loss record. The Head Coach's job goes deeper than that, even though that is all some of us are interested in.
Like what I heard Penn State's coach (Joe Paterno) say once. "Football is an extra curricular activity," and we all need to learn that. I must admit hear that we have become too dependent on a winning football program to carry the school's financial burdens. What a shame.
There is not a reader on this site that would rather see GT win every game we play in any sport, so don't get the idea that I'm a passifist (correct spellin optional). Ain't gonna happen. I love winning and I hate losing, but if we must lose, I want to see us get beat by a better team and only after we left all we had on the field, not laying down and quitting. YES, I am going to be looking at our discipline very closely this coming season as I know many will be. BUT, until then, I still say, Chans the Man, and I will support him.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
I think there is more a sense of urgency to make things happen faster then in the past. The ACC expansion alone is HUGE and a factor that wasn't here with the other coaches mentioned. If we end up being in the same Division with Miami, VT, Clemson and FSU - that is tough!

The 3-4 year time frame may have been acceptable then but I don't think it works well now. We have already taken a hit backwards and we're about to embark on this change in the conference.

If at the end of the 3rd or 4th year things didn't work - do we bring in a new guy and wait another 3-4 years? Then what? You've got an 8-10 year rebuilding situation? I don't think the GT faithful should or would allow that to happen. I would be very disappointed if it did.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That point is not lost on me MSTA. And I commend you. That might be the most well said and right on post you have made on this board in sometime. Good post. And I'm with you on not allowing us to get in too deep a hole, however if Chan goes 6-6 this season, then I'm all for him getting 2 more years on top of what he's done. He's had his hands tied by our administration on too many occassions.

Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by JacksonJacket:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think that is right on the money- but with freshman those things may happen just the same...I think in 89 and even if you look at the scores in '88, we really didnt BLOWN off the map like the UGA game of '03... So I think noticeable halftime adjustments will be critical as far as showing progress as a coaching staff. I think week to week if our scores are close in any losses that means the team hasnt quit on this staff- that is critical. And I think the noticeable improvement and decision-making by Ball (our most probable starter) will show good teaching and coaching. We were 3-8 in '88 but our 8 losses went like this (and it was without Shawn Jones who redshirted): -1 to UVA at UVA, -17 to Clemson (they were the cream of ACC), -8 to NC St, -5 to Maryland at Maryland, -3 to UNC at Chapel Hill, -10 to Duke (under Spurrier), -4 to Wake at Wake, and -21 to UGA (24-3) in Athens. We beat a highly ranked South Carolina team as well. Really not too bad as far as losing. No quiting at all. I think we can win 6 this year, but I think we will only win 3. But even then, if its like '88, what do you do?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gnome: Thanks for breaking it down!

I think CG could survive a 3 win season if the team plays tough and does not have an internal meltdown.

I see BYU (Edwards is gone and things are not the same) and Vandy as our two locks. Duke is an improved team but is the next easiest. I did take notice that they played tough ball last year and they bring back most of that team. I think we will pull that one out though. Wake has lots of holes. But I think that misdirection scheme makes them tough no matter what. They have a more talented QB and might be better than last year. I respect Grobe so every game with them is a toss up. Clemson has no running game and our secondary (despite losing all starters) sounds like it is ok). UNC is about as decimated as we are. But, they have a good quarterback and tons of talented freshman. I like Bunting too. They should be beatable but I've got a hunch they may be a sleeper team.

The rest are uphill battles. If we win or play tough in the toss ups, Chan will have his job next year barring a late season player revolt.

It amazes me to hear people talk about how a 3-9 year would be acceptable if we played hard, improved, etc. Would you have accepted that kind of result under GOL? I know the answer not no but **** no!! To be honest that attitude makes me just want to barf. We had a program that was poised to go no worse than 7-5 or better, be in the top 25 and once every 3 to 4 years be in the top 10. Just because we have a different coach we should accept our program falling all the way down. Why?? I think 3-9 gets Braine gone gone gone. By the way you can not underestimate Duke this year. They are returning 22 starters and both kickers. Their coaching staff is well thought of and they will surprise a few people.

I don't predict wins and losses but I will say this. If we do show more intensity, more discipline and focus and play hard this year we will win more than 3 games. If we have a real QB, I'd say we will win more than 6.

I guess I'm just not as impressed with our opposition as some of you. The line between good and mediocre teams is very thin in college football. I think BYU, Clemson, Duke, Vandy, Wake and UNC are all games we should win with good efforts from the team. UVA and NCSU are teams we can beat in any given year. The other 4 will be the toughest but I'm not giving up on them either. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I believe if we get the effort most of us are talking about it will be a successful year on the scoreboard as well.

MsTA, you are going back to the Ross years again in 1989.

To place the matter in proper perspective, Curry had just come off his two best years in 1985 and 1986 where he was 9-2 and 5-5-1.

Ross took over in 1986 and there was a downward spiral for two years, 1987 and 1988 dropped to 2-9 and 3-8 in the first two years of Ross's tenure.

Only in 1989 did it finally go up to 7-4 and 11-0 in 1990. Then in 1991 the Ross team dropped from 11-0 in 1990 to 8-5 in 1991.

Here we have Gailey taking over from O'Leary with O'Leary having a 7-6 record in his last 13 games and Gailey continues that record on an even keel at 7-6 in his first 13 games, so I can't see where your example proves anything other than Gailey did as well as O'Leary in his last 13 games, and better than Ross or O'Leary in his first year.

Father Time

Here's my two-cents;

I will really be disappointed if our
team has shown no improvement from
those last two debacles of last year.

IMHO discipline and coaching go hand-to-
hand. I don't beleive that a team can
be successful without either one.

From the standpoint of win's vs. losses,
I can handle a loss as good as anyone.

But the losses I can't handle are the one's
where our players quit, or do not play with
any semblance of discipline.

So to make a long story short, I will be
looking closely at how this team has been
coached and how that relates to discipline.

And like FW, the GEORGIA game carries much
weight for a season. In 45 years of watching
Tech football, I hope I never live to see
another season-ending game like last year!!!!

"IT's GREAT TO BEE A YELLO JACKET!!"
"TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!"

I think there is more a sense of urgency to make things happen faster then in the past. The ACC expansion alone is HUGE and a factor that wasn't here with the other coaches mentioned. If we end up being in the same Division with Miami, VT, Clemson and FSU - that is tough!

The 3-4 year time frame may have been acceptable then but I don't think it works well now. We have already taken a hit backwards and we're about to embark on this change in the conference.

If at the end of the 3rd or 4th year things didn't work - do we bring in a new guy and wait another 3-4 years? Then what? You've got an 8-10 year rebuilding situation? I don't think the GT faithful should or would allow that to happen. I would be very disappointed if it did.

Back