The BOR and The Hill gives its blessing..New and more majors....

You guys are missing the mark. More important than adding new majors would be to move to a university governance system. That system would allow major-based admissions (instead of institute-based admissions), which means that some majors can have lower requirements than others and not all majors would be required to have the same core (read: Calculus, CS).

Then you add a Digital Communications major (i.e. How to use Twitter, Facebook, and other social media for business purposes), drop Calc from Ivan Allen majors, make the Ivan Allen CS course an applied CS course (or maybe something like programming iPhone apps), allow athletes admission to Ivan Allen with far below average grades and SATs, and flood the program with athletes.

That's the Stanford recipe.

Communications, pre-law based around emerging technologies and new media, sports science, expanded Bio-med Eng into more areas (ortho-prosthetics), teach certs.

Communications and sports science should be placed under to the College of Management.

No, not a "College of Education" or "School of Education" because that implies we would have education degrees.

Create an education "department" within the college of Sciences that offers teaching certificates. So you could get a BS in Math, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, etc and go teach high school. But without a soft education major.

I've always thought that this is a no-brainer (offer an Education minor that allows students to take the required courses to earn a teaching certificate).

I just don't think it would be that popular with students. Teacher salaries are well below even the science major salaries from GT and not many people want to deal with the rigors of GT to end up in the same place they would have if they went to UGA or Southern.

Teaching seems like a field that GT grads move towards after they realize that there's more to life than a paycheck or a corporate ladder (so well after graduation).

You guys are missing the mark. More important than adding new majors would be to move to a university governance system. That system would allow major-based admissions (instead of institute-based admissions), which means that some majors can have lower requirements than others and not all majors would be required to have the same core (read: Calculus, CS).

And before someone mentions this - you don't just make this move for athletics. This is a necessary move to add a medical or law college.

GT has grown well beyond it's britches as a small, focused, technological Institute. It's time to take the next step and become a university.

Hypothetical of course.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

I would add a college of education where all the classes are science degrees and they would be a full education school where GT can provide teachers for our government schools.

Plus I would offer a science degree in nursing as well.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

+1 and I would add math to it as well...both science and math still experience shortages in teachers in this state...so it would make sense

Last edited:
Why would you be opposed to that?
I don't see anything significant a nursing major would add to other majors at GT. I don't see what GT would add to a nursing major beyond Georgia State etc. I don't see a significant research component in it.

I would like to have GT's resources focused on adding other degrees.

There are other ways to add 'majors with girls'. Broadcast is one, and can use collaboration from existing work in CS on visualization, internet and internet communities, social networks, etc.

Communication and social media
STEM teaching
Sports science and biomechanics
Statistical Analysis of Sport
Sports Equipment Engineering and Material Science

A couple of problems I see with an education major.

First, U[sic]GA and GSU already fill that need for the state of Georgia. Both of those schools are more than capable of putting our good high school teachers, and each offers a different experience (college town vs. urban), so there is a choice for all prospective students. As a public university, I don't think we should be adding a program that has no real benefit to the state (just like I [and most other people] don't think that U[sic]GA adding a full engineering program was appropriate.)

Second, by and large, really smart people aren't looking for teaching jobs. You can say that's a problem, and maybe it is, but that's the fact of the matter right now. Therefore, by adding an education major what you're mainly doing is trying to entice subpar students to come to Tech instead of U[sic]GA or GSU. I'm not sure how that's really good for us.

I think there's benefit to Tech with both a law school and a med school. I wouldn't be opposed to either of those, although I personally don't mind staying with our current narrow focus.

Why would you be opposed to that?
My daughter, a life long GT fan and top of her class, got accepted to GT but didn't have her degree - nursing. She ended up at UCF with an academic scholarship. A nursing degree might not help the football team directly but would definetly help the male/female ratio. FYI - starting pay for a trauma nurse is in the 70 - 80k range and in high demand - pretty good!

My daughter, a life long GT fan and top of her class, got accepted to GT but didn't have her degree - nursing. She ended up at UCF with an academic scholarship. A nursing degree might not help the football team directly but would definetly help the male/female ratio. FYI - starting pay for a trauma nurse is in the 70 - 80k range and in high demand - pretty good!
That's something like 1-5% of all nurses? I have couple nurses in my family as well. It's a tough job.

There can be an angle on medical technologies - nursing relationship, if GT can have a nursing program geared towards extensive use of technology, but someone would have to spell out courses or professors GT already has that would benefit from a nursing program.

I can spell out many courses and/or professors that are already at GT in relation to broadcasting/journalism technology.

Am I the only one that is mad that we were led to believe this was real and happening and then hit with the "no this hypothetical"?

A couple of problems I see with an education major.

First, U[sic]GA and GSU already fill that need for the state of Georgia. Both of those schools are more than capable of putting our good high school teachers, and each offers a different experience (college town vs. urban), so there is a choice for all prospective students. As a public university, I don't think we should be adding a program that has no real benefit to the state (just like I [and most other people] don't think that U[sic]GA adding a full engineering program was appropriate.)

Second, by and large, really smart people aren't looking for teaching jobs. You can say that's a problem, and maybe it is, but that's the fact of the matter right now. Therefore, by adding an education major what you're mainly doing is trying to entice subpar students to come to Tech instead of U[sic]GA or GSU. I'm not sure how that's really good for us.

I think there's benefit to Tech with both a law school and a med school. I wouldn't be opposed to either of those, although I personally don't mind staying with our current narrow focus.

The states only areas of shortages in teachers are in science and math. Not too mention probably at least 2 out of 5 of those are terrible teachers. You can't tell me the state would not benefit from a highly rigorous STEM education program at Tech. Oh and really smart people do not go into education??? Please, I know plenty of people that are some of the smartest people I've ever come across that are educators.

I have met a number of Tech grads that are in teaching. I don't know what the stats are like though.

Also, GT already has Center for Education Integrating Science, Mathematics, and Computing (CEISMC) and Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning (CETL). As far as I know, they already have ties to teaching in the state of Georgia. Maybe one of those can extend to a teaching certificate for Tech students? CETL already offers courses Tech students can take/register.

My point is - it killed her not to go GT just because she couldn't find a degree that was even close to her interests. An academic scholarship helped though..

Back