the GT/UCF Post-Game Thread

It hurts watching teams like FAU, who have been playing football for all of about five minutes, just line up for 40 yard field goals with confidence, or drop back to punt and the only thing you're wondering is how far he's gonna kick it.
There are quite a few high schools in Georgia that can do that. Still, we can't even figure it out.

We’re fundamentally unsound across the board, and that falls on the coaches.
  • Punting/punt protection
  • Snaps (regular and long) all over the place
  • QB can’t hit the broad side of a barn
  • DBs don’t do a good job using the sideline to help them and end up committing interference
  • Penalties to extend drives
  • Receivers not working back to the QB when he scrambles
  • Personnel - too much #6, not enough Smith at RB; Hall looked better today, though.
  • Red zone playcalling - running #6 into the line, running 2 plays parallel to the line on the goal line
  • Field goal kicking
  • OL play/sacks
  • Repeated targeting ejections

We were talented and motivated enough to win the game today, but we made too many mistakes in every phase of the game. We simply cannot be this bad at things that are under our control in year 4.

JRjr

I was at work all day so couldn't watch what hppened give me a run down of the Collins effect

I was at work all day so couldn't watch what hppened give me a run down of the Collins effect

0-5 in the red zone. UCF opened with a 10 minute FG drive where we gave them 2 first downs by penalty. Missed 2 FGs. Punt blocked and returned for TD. Defense died immediately after Thomas ejected for targeting again. Sims took every snap, threw the ball wild AF, even on easy pitch and catch screens.

Only bright spot was McCollum running down a 99 yard fumble return from across the field to strip it for a touchback like 1” from a TD.

We led for a while, and were in the game until the 4th. Out statted them until late. But then they called off the dogs on the 5 at the end and avoided covering the 21.5.

JRjr

Been pondering the general reasons we've been so bad under Collins. I think it comes down to spending way too much time and effort on things that don't matter much, and being unable to recognize and drill the things that do matter. Curious what y'all think.

Coaching is not terribly different than other careers.

Grad assistant: tabula rasa, no skills. Your job is to learn.
Position coach: You execute the game plan given to you for your area. You start pivoting to managing a small team of people to execute a single task.
Group coach: Now you have to figure out how to get 1/3 of an offense or defense to work in harmony with the rest
Coordinator: you pivot from executing the game plan to creating one.
Head coach: you have to build and lead an organization. You aren’t executing anymore.

There is a reason why Collins always talks about execution, why he dresses up in pads to play with the linebackers, why the other positions he is trying to be hands on with aren’t working. Collins is somewhere between a position coach and a group coach.

He hasn’t built the skills yet to call a game plan. That’s why his teams get smoked every week. No adjustment, no identity, no answers. A coordinator sees the punts being blocked and adjusts. Less steps or rugby kicks. Picking up the edge blocker. A head coach gives his leaders the tools to learn how to adjust. If they can’t then he lets them go. Collins isn’t there yet. He’s still executing a game plan but there is no one above him anymore to tell him the game plan. He should have made much deeper staff retooling last off season.

One day the light will flick on for him and it will all make sense. He won’t be trying to mimic Nick Saban and still get his hands into every position group. It won’t happen at Georgia Tech. I hope he takes some time off to understand himself.

Back