The IMPOSSIBLE RISE of GEORGIA TECH Football (The Complete Brent Key Rebuild)

Recruiting probably won't ever be much better than it is under Key, but he can absolutely plug and play key (pun intended) pieces from the portal and have success, especially at the QB spot like with King this year. Get a couple dudes in the trenches and we gave some perimeter weapons already on the roster.

For once in a looooooong time, I'm very excited about next season. The bowl game is just so crucial for the extra reps. Let's finish off this season with a W and use it as a springboard into next year!

THWg

Happy with this season but did anyone really think this was impossible? 6 wins was my bare minimum for this season to be considered a success. The whole premise of keeping Key was that the existing team had the talent and potential to win, so we didn't need to blow the program up completely.

So far, CBK has deliered in his first season. Looking forward to the bowl game and especialy next year!

This is the new college football era we are in. Outside of the top tier 10-12 teams the next 60 programs are all the same and this video could be about any of them. WR’s, RB’s, DB’s, and even QB’s are a dime a dozen outside of the 5 stars which all go to the top 10-12 programs. Highs schools produce enough players to satisfy all college teams. Our problem was we simply got a dud 4 star QB which cost us 3 seasons and sunk our program and the coach refused to believe his eyes.

Offensive and defensive coaches all run the same vanilla system so they can easily jump from job to job (of course there are a few exceptions from the older guys, but every coach under 35 is a cookie cutter assistant).

This is the new norm for teams in the 2nd tier. None of us know if your team is a 5 win team or a 10 win because there is going to be very little carryover from season to season with the portal in play. I get that we are all pumped for the first time in years because we have a real college QB and an offensive coach who has a clue. That‘s great but the reality is we finished 6-6 with them and have no clue if both or either will be back. So while we hope to win more next year with more experience our opponents are also trying to improve so we have no idea what we have vs. what our opponents have. I’ve learned to just enjoy the players who show up on game day and pull for them. I have no idea who those players will be until the game gets here because everyone has their own agenda (ie. Smith this past season).

I get that we are all pumped for the first time in years because we have a real college QB and an offensive coach who has a clue. That‘s great but the reality is we finished 6-6 with them and have no clue if both or either will be back.

Would King be eligible to play immediately if he transferred again? I can't find any info on transferring twice as a graduate.

I wonder if CBK looked at this and though 6 wins was "well we rebuilt it". I sure hope not I want more I hope the staff and players do as well!

Happy with this season but did anyone really think this was impossible? 6 wins was my bare minimum for this season to be considered a success. The whole premise of keeping Key was that the existing team had the talent and potential to win, so we didn't need to blow the program up completely.

So far, CBK has deliered in his first season. Looking forward to the bowl game and especialy next year!
GT did have the toughest schedule in the ACC this year. So if you go by Vegas 4 games projection, it was pretty successful going +2.

Next year’s schedule looks to be even harder on paper (probably the toughest in the ACC again). GT swaps OOC Ole Miss for ND, Clemson for FSU, Wake for NCSU, UVA for Duke. Looking at the 2024 schedule the “easy” wins aren’t there, minus VMI. The team should be even better next year and may still go 7-5.

FSU - Ireland
Georgia State - GSU’s SB.
VMI
ND
Miami
@ VT
@ Louisville
NCSU
@ UNC
Duke
@ Syracuse
@ UGA

GT did have the toughest schedule in the ACC this year. So if you go by Vegas 4 games projection, it was successful.

Next year’s schedule looks to be even harder on paper (probably the toughest in the ACC again). While GT swaps OOC Ole Miss for ND instead. Clemson for FSU instead, Wake, for NCSU, UVA for Duke. Look at the 2024 schedule and where do you see the “easy” wins, minus VMI. The team should be even better next year and may go 7-5.

FSU - Ireland
Georgia State - GSU’s SB.
VMI
ND
Miami
@ VT
@ Louisville
NCSU
@ UNC
Duke
@ Syracuse
@ UGA
I'd say we're suppose to consider GSU an easy win, but after BG we can't really write anything down that isn't an FCS. I'd of called it a brutal schedule overall but the coaching changes may soften it up a tiny bit. The biggest issue is the ordering; if we can't handle GSU then we could easily be looking at a really ugly 1-4 start into 2 tough road games.

Would King be eligible to play immediately if he transferred again? I can't find any info on transferring twice as a graduate.
My point wasn’t to look at individual players. I’m fairly confident King will be our QB1 next season but in this new era that’s a long way away and a lot can happen with coaches, transfers, injuries, and simply life. I just think it’s fairly foolhardy to look at a season and extrapolate to the next (in todays landscape) unless you are a tier 1 team who just replaces studs with studs. Look at us - after spring practice we had Stone and Yondjoeun as starters along the DLine. Neither helped us this season.. We had Smith as a high level RB who disappeared for 2/3’s of the season.

here we cum str8 up

donk-andando.gif

Seems to me that coaches, outside of those who have too much money and no personal drive, are all about the same. I think the hiring of Key shows this. The last guy might have been a good coach at some point, but after a few multimillion dollar years, he achieved the point of FU wealth.

Surely we all remember the curve in Psychology that shows you get better performance as you increase salary... to a point. The point at which the person has so much money they no longer even care. I think we should have one year contracts for coach. No more than one year. If you could cut a 5* player from starting, you can cut a coach. Each has to earn their "starting" position. Some might think this would impact recruiting. Maybe. But it might impact recruiting if the recruit KNOWS they can replace a starter if they are good enough.

Maybe we would have to pay a coach more money in a year, but it is probably less than the amount we pay coaches who no longer work for us. Hat's off to guys like Saban who has so much money, AND the personal drive to show up every year and get his team into the championship. Yes he has the horses. But there are a lot of teams with the horses that don't make it as often as he does.

Yeah, the YouTube algorithm has been trying to get me to watch this video for awhile now, and I’ve never gotten past the sensational title. I mean, I like Key, I like the team, I feel like we have had a good season and have some great momentum, but “impossible’?

Yeah, the YouTube algorithm has been trying to get me to watch this video for awhile now, and I’ve never gotten past the sensational title. I mean, I like Key, I like the team, I feel like we have had a good season and have some great momentum, but “impossible’?

It was impossible to get any lower, so in that sense I guess the rise was impossible at some point.

To be fair, nobody is going to click on a video titled "Meh. The mildly successful Georgia Tech Season".

TBH, I was real worried about winning 6 when we lost to BG.... However the Coaches kept Coaching!

My preseason thought was anything less than 8 wins would be a bummer. But I didn’t appropriately account for how significant our defensive losses were. So 6 wins was definitely the floor of acceptable. As such, my expectations for next year are at least 8 wins. It is doable if we can make our defense somewhere around 40-50th percentile rather than bottom of the dumpster.

The way they did it was more fun

My preseason thought was anything less than 8 wins would be a bummer. But I didn’t appropriately account for how significant our defensive losses were. So 6 wins was definitely the floor of acceptable. As such, my expectations for next year are at least 8 wins. It is doable if we can make our defense somewhere around 40-50th percentile rather than bottom of the dumpster.
6 wins against next years' schedule would be an improvement over this year.

I'd say we're suppose to consider GSU an easy win, but after BG we can't really write anything down that isn't an FCS. I'd of called it a brutal schedule overall but the coaching changes may soften it up a tiny bit. The biggest issue is the ordering; if we can't handle GSU then we could easily be looking at a really ugly 1-4 start into 2 tough road games.
I think the team will remember that and act accordingly. Hopefully it becomes part of the culture that lasts

Back