The IMPOSSIBLE RISE of GEORGIA TECH Football (The Complete Brent Key Rebuild)

This is the new normal. We can get back to the Johnson years of being a tough out every Saturday but we have to win the portal game. We won’t win the high school recruiting game because 4 stars and above want the splash of signing day. But we can get them back 2 years later, like the DB transfer from Tennessee and guys like King. I said from the start of the portal, while many of you were and still are whining about it, that GT can be a big winner using the portal because of the sheer number of 4 stars from the Atlanta area that will use the portal. Let them have the flash of signing day then come home for their 3rd and 4th season.
The grass only looks greener. After experiencing what other teams really offer, it might be nice to come back closer to home in a dynamic city.

This is the new normal. We can get back to the Johnson years of being a tough out every Saturday but we have to win the portal game. We won’t win the high school recruiting game because 4 stars and above want the splash of signing day. But we can get them back 2 years later, like the DB transfer from Tennessee and guys like King. I said from the start of the portal, while many of you were and still are whining about it, that GT can be a big winner using the portal because of the sheer number of 4 stars from the Atlanta area that will use the portal. Let them have the flash of signing day then come home for their 3rd and 4th season.
So far on balance I'd argue the portal has hurt us more than it's helped us–we've lost so much defensive talent to it and our defense is abysmal as a result. For instance this year we already lost Kennard and K. Johnson. But it's unclear how much of the problem has been the Collins regime versus portal dynamics.

Portal losses:
Bennett (DL)
Domineck (DL)
Kennard (DL)
Lockhart (DL)
Ivey (DL)

So far on balance I'd argue the portal has hurt us more than it's helped us–we've lost so much defensive talent to it and our defense is abysmal as a result. For instance this year we already lost Kennard and K. Johnson. But it's unclear how much of the problem has been the Collins regime versus portal dynamics.

Portal losses:
Bennett (DL)
Domineck (DL)
Kennard (DL)
Lockhart (DL)
Ivey (DL)
Antwan Owens (DL)
Jaquan Henderson (DL)
Justice Dingle (DL)

Portal losses:
Bennett (DL)
Domineck (DL)
Kennard (DL)
Lockhart (DL)
Ivey (DL)
Well,I simply disagree. Our defense hasn’t been good in years and all these guys you listed were part of horrible defenses and terrible losses. I’m not saying I wish they would have stayed but losing them is meh. None of them will ever be heard from again. Meanwhile, the portal gave us our first real college QB in years and has opened the door for many more to consider GT.

And to your point, that’s why I said Key’s success is going to hinge on winning the portal game. Collins sucked at it. The fact that we have only lost the 2 as of today tells me Key understands he has to retain guys and then add pieces. It looks like he is doing that but we’ll know more after the bowl game.

Back