THE OFFICIAL Firing, House Cleaning, Night of Long Knives, Celebration, Disappointment Thread.

From a few pages back but, I am a “sidewalk fan”. Tech was the Atlanta team. I am at least a 4th generation Atlanta boy, our family plot in Oakland cemetery is right next to Bobby Jones. The old joke was, once you left Atlanta, you were in Georgia. Seen the movie Deliverance? They had a Tech plate on the old scout II. I have not found Tech fans to be snobby at all, especially at games, I went to Alabama, they are snobs mixed with rednecks that want to fight if “they” lose, to include fans of other Sec schools. Tech games are the best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at any sporting event. The civilities here today are a little unraveling. We should not forget that we are all on the same ööööing team here! Let’s ride it out with a grin together, either way.

I’m not sure what to make of Key going with dumbass to see a QB but it definitely doesn’t make me feel any better if Key is going to be the OC. Also means that G**** wasn’t around when crap hit the fan about Gibbs.

Someone needs to tell C******* to shave the rest of his bald head. That's a terrible look.

I’m not sure what to make of Key going with dumbass to see a QB but it definitely doesn’t make me feel any better if Key is going to be the OC. Also means that G**** wasn’t around when crap hit the fan about Gibbs.

Geoff Collins looked disgusting--nipples protruding--in his white shirt before the recruit. Very very disrespectful.

Out of state tuition vs In state tuition?
Seriously? If you can sell a seat in a classroom for X or X+Y and you never get questioned on it, what would any business do?
So you're saying the school is deliberately dumbing itself down in order to maximize revenue?

This is the same school that supposedly refuses to field a more competitive and profitable football team because it's worried about dumbing down the student body and devaluing its degrees?

These are conspiracy-theory-type explanations for complex admissions decisions that are driven by a lot more than just out-of-state tuition dollars.

I'm just going to leave this here.
JJ2 web FIXED.jpg

So you're saying the school is deliberately dumbing itself down in order to maximize revenue?

This is the same school that supposedly refuses to field a more competitive and profitable football team because it's worried about dumbing down the student body and devaluing its degrees?

These are conspiracy-theory-type explanations for complex admissions decisions that are driven by a lot more than just out-of-state tuition dollars.
I bet you believe in Santa Claus too.

I bet you believe in Santa Claus too.
I think a manifold of complex decision-making by millions of individuals, causes all those gifts to appear underneath trees on Dec. 24. And the same with admissions decisions for out-of-state students.

It's the "enormous charm" of a single unifying explanation that people find seductive (to quote a famous thinker). But life's way more complicated than that.

My interpretation (of course I speak for myself alone) is that there are diminishing returns for squeezing out a slightly-higher-qualified student body, and those smaller returns are overwhelmed by the cost of then having fewer in-state or legacy students, lack of commitment to school traditions, lower numbers of local alumni, etc. Again, I am unsure of the marginal value of an out-of-state student with slightly better application. I am not convinced that simply maximizing the admissions criteria is in the long-term interest of the Institute.

My interpretation (of course I speak for myself alone) is that there are diminishing returns for squeezing out a slightly-higher-qualified student body, and those smaller returns are overwhelmed by the cost of then having fewer in-state or legacy students, lack of commitment to school traditions, lower numbers of local alumni, etc. Again, I am unsure of the marginal value of an out-of-state student with slightly better application. I am not convinced that simply maximizing the admissions criteria is in the long-term interest of the Institute.
Agreed! My only point was that I think shifting admissions criteria are due to a lot more than an out-of-state revenue-maximizing calculus in the admissions office.

It is hard to compete against MIT and CalTech and Stanford if you're trying to pay for it all from legislature-allocated tax dollars, and it is hard to have a world-class and world-renowned institution that is full of local kids only. Which is why Tech hasn't done that in a long time.

Why is Clown Show wearing a dead muskrat on his head?

Never said anything about dumbing down. This is all being discussed on a football board. The question has been asked about fan support for our athletic teams. When the school can make more money by admitting out of state and international students there will be repercussions of that. We are seeing that now. The old guard GT fans are dying off and are not being replaced with alumni who care about sports. I also see it as a state sponsored school screwing the people paying the bills by admitting kids whose parents have never paid any Georgia state tax. I’ve been in my sons dorm. I saw more Atlanta United merch than GT merch.

As to my example, you make the connection - 4 kids from my county got accepted into GT for fall 2021. 3 had high scores, AP courses, extras, etc. 1 had lesser test scores than many others who applied. She was a female minority. You tell me? Would we want our football team to take a RB who could run a 5.5 40 over one who runs a 4.4 40? You tell me. How should those families feel who had GT connections whose kids are now at UGA because GT took a lesser student over them? I saw it every year my son was in high school because I was paying attention and wanted to know our chances. I’ve seen GT alum turn away from GT because their high level kids got denied when others with less got accepted. It’s not ever going to be like it was because the school does not care about fans or alumni. It wouldn’t shock me to see a name change of the school in my lifetime.

Never said anything about dumbing down. This is all being discussed on a football board. The question has been asked about fan support for our athletic teams. When the school can make more money by admitting out of state and international students there will be repercussions of that. We are seeing that now. The old guard GT fans are dying off and are not being replaced with alumni who care about sports. I also see it as a state sponsored school screwing the people paying the bills by admitting kids whose parents have never paid any Georgia state tax. I’ve been in my sons dorm. I saw more Atlanta United merch than GT merch.

As to my example, you make the connection - 4 kids from my county got accepted into GT for fall 2021. 3 had high scores, AP courses, extras, etc. 1 had lesser test scores than many others who applied. She was a female minority. You tell me? Would we want our football team to take a RB who could run a 5.5 40 over one who runs a 4.4 40? You tell me. How should those families feel who had GT connections whose kids are now at UGA because GT took a lesser student over them? I saw it every year my son was in high school because I was paying attention and wanted to know our chances. I’ve seen GT alum turn away from GT because their high level kids got denied when others with less got accepted. It’s not ever going to be like it was because the school does not care about fans or alumni. It wouldn’t shock me to see a name change of the school in my lifetime.
Now you're conflating affirmative action and racial quotas with the in-state/out-of-state question. My only point was that the admissions office does not admit less-qualified out-of-state students in order to increase revenue. There's a zillion factors that go into it.

And the idea that in-state students are getting screwed because it is their tax dollars that support the school is pretty out-of-date. State appropriations account for 15% of Tech's annual revenues ($320m/$2.035bil).

And the idea that in-state students are getting screwed because it is their tax dollars that support the school is pretty out-of-date. State appropriations account for 15% of Tech's annual revenues ($320m/$2.035bil).

Just to throw in a anecdote, last time I was at the airport I was sitting next to a couple of undergrad girls (Auburn and Tech) from Indians who were friends. Interesting to listen to their views on stuff.

The Tech girl said she was increasingly bitter about the fact that Tech favors in-state students over out of state, which seemed like a weird thing to be angry about, but maybe she views Tech as more of a national brand than a state school.

JRjr

I truly believe that once next season is underway, we will be looking back at this past season with fond nostalgia.

Yes, I believe it will be worse and considerably.
nah, if we are that bad, we will know we are cleaning house, that will be a nice feeling.

Agreed! My only point was that I think shifting admissions criteria are due to a lot more than an out-of-state revenue-maximizing calculus in the admissions office.

It is hard to compete against MIT and CalTech and Stanford if you're trying to pay for it all from legislature-allocated tax dollars, and it is hard to have a world-class and world-renowned institution that is full of local kids only. Which is why Tech hasn't done that in a long time.
Last time I heard only low 20% of GT operating budget was provided from State. Lots comes from research grants and such. Its why some of us keep bringing up the need to go private to get out from under the BOR. We will never have a broad curriculum under the current setup.

When exactly did the grade inflation occur where someone could have a 4.4 GPA. Back in my day, one B in HS meant no 4.0 for you, ever. Maybe you could end with a 3.95, maybe.
He said this was an adjusted GPA. AP classes are weighted 1 point higher, so an A is a 5.0. at my sons' school, an honors class is weighted .5 higher. Therefore, you can definitely have a GPA greater than 4.0. My sons were in a STEM program, and the majority of their classes were AP and Honors classes. The schools also calculate the unweighted GPA so that you can compare apples with apples.

When I was in school from ‘88 until ‘94 (undergrad + grad), we were on quarters. 12 hours was the minimum for full time, 15 was the norm (i.e., to keep a President’s Scholarship), and 17+ wasn’t unusual. And like you said, you had to take more than 15 per quarter to graduate in a “normal” 4 years/no summers (15 hours a quarter, 3 quarters a year, 4 years is 180 hours, and degree programs often required 200+ hours).

The switch to semesters definitely had an impact on GT more than a lot of other state schools in terms of the breadth of curriculum for a degree program, as well as stuff like the coop program.

JRjr
I graduated B EE '87, MSEE '88, and I was a co-op student as an undergrad, so I took five years to graduate. Fast forward to now: I'm in the OMSA program, and I can attest to the significant difference between quarters and semesters. The biggest difference is that there is a little bit of margin to course-correct if you have a bad day on a test (of more likely, a tough time with one of the large homework sets). Back under the quarter system, you had very little margin of error to work with. If the class did have a larger number of tests than typical, they came at you fast. If you fell behind, it became very difficult to right the ship for that class, and often, trying to do so had a negative impact on the rest of your classes.

One huge difference now is how many classes taken at a time. Prior to the Olympics and the switch to semesters, 18 hours was a standard load, not 15. IE required 212 qtr hours went I graduated in 1981 - that is 141 semester hours, not 120. I never had less than 5 classes and 6 was more common to graduate in 4 years. The state of Georgia was tired of paying for 5 years of undergrad on average and GT normalized to national standard of 120 after the switch.

Quarters instead of semesters also meant 3 midterms and 3 sets of finals, not 2.
I graduated B EE '87, MSEE '88, and I was a co-op student as an undergrad, so I took five years to graduate. Fast forward to now: I'm in the OMSA program, and I can attest to the significant difference between quarters and semesters. The biggest difference is that there is a little bit of margin to course-correct if you have a bad day on a test (of more likely, a tough time with one of the large homework sets). Back under the quarter system, you had very little margin of error to work with. If the class did have a larger number of tests than typical, they came at you fast. If you fell behind, it became very difficult to right the ship for that class, and often, trying to do so had a negative impact on the rest of your classes.

Back