The shuffle pass at the end….

C
I'm no expert but it looks like Cooper's man beat him too and would have made a play on Deveney. At least I think that's him exiting stage left with head in the sky after the play is blown up.
Cooper got enough of an initial push that I think Deveney's momentum would've carried him on into the endzone had Johnson made the block on Skalski. Also, Johnson is supposed to turn that up into the hole and Deveney likely would have gone outside of him anyway, which would've taken Cooper's man out of the play too.

I don't agree 0 has bead on Mason - maybe Masom beats him and maybe not
Agree. Possible but inconclusive. Clemson gets a lot of credit for blowing up that play. Their D isn't just good because they are big/fast - they are good football players.

I will take my chances with Mason one on one with a corner in the open field. Eerily reminiscent of the play against UT when the pitch wins the game.

Cooper got enough of an initial push that I think Deveney's momentum would've carried him on into the endzone had Johnson made the block on Skalski. Also, Johnson is supposed to turn that up into the hole and Deveney likely would have gone outside of him anyway, which would've taken Cooper's man out of the play too.

I didn’t realize it until getting back home and watching the replay, but Skalski also blew up the 2nd down pitch-pass to McGowan.

I still take my chances with Mason 1/1 vs a true freshman LB, I don't care how many stars he has. I like my odds there better than inside where the strongest part of their defense is, and they had more guys than us there.

C

Gotcha. That makes sense. The way it unfolded I thought he was supposed to hit a gap between Johnson and Cooper but it went even worse than I thought.

I’m not sure a 4th and goal shovel pass to the TE works for most most teams. I wasn’t big on the play call myself, seems like a high risk play for that situation but I understand why he may have gone with it given the man coverage in the end zone on earlier attempts. I would have pitched it to Smith or Mason over a TE myself
yep, maybe if you had Kelce( the pro) TE- it might hve worked - o,well

Had we not blown the TO, I would like to have seen a wildcat set to Mason. 5 OL, 2 more OL, 2 TE to block edge and one more OL to lead block.

Scattered, smothered covered.

missed assignment is my point exactly.
If you're going to call a "gadget" play at a pivotal point in the game, it should be a play that has been practiced, practiced, practiced endlessly so that execution will be close to flawless.

Y
Lol. It’s easy to guarantee something when you don’t have to be right.
You asked, I answered. Why did you ask if you weren’t willing to take a response. I also guarantee we will lose to NIU three weeks ago from this coming Saturday. And I guarantee that Brady wins the Super Bowl in his first season with the Bucs. GUARANTEED!!

Y

You asked, I answered. Why did you ask if you weren’t willing to take a response. I also guarantee we will lose to NIU three weeks ago from this coming Saturday. And I guarantee that Brady wins the Super Bowl in his first season with the Bucs. GUARANTEED!!
You're really bad at this. Stick to being a little bitch.

Something just occurred to me about this play. Maybe the X's and O's gurus can shed some light on my question.

Given that we appear to be somewhat less than blessed at the RG position, would it have made more sense to run the play in the opposite direction which would have put the lead block responsibility on the LG instead?

There haven't been many plays that haunt me for years but this is going to be one of them.

The other two are an underthrown pass by John Dewberry against the dwags that would have won the game in 1983 and an overthrown wheel route pass from Vad Lee to Brad Stewart that would have put us up 27 to 0 over the dwags and sealed a victory. I forget the year.

Last edited:
Something just occurred to me about this play. Maybe the X's and O's gurus can shed some light on my question.

Given that we appear to be somewhat less than blessed at the RG position, would it have made more sense to run the play in the opposite direction which would have put the lead block responsibility on the LG instead?

There haven't been many plays that haunt me for years but this is going to be one of them.

The other two are an underthrown pass by John Dewberry against the dwags that would have won the game in 1983 and an overthrown wheel route pass from Vad Lee to Brad Stewart that would have put us up 27 to 0 over the dwags and sealed a victory. I forget the year.
Vad threw passes to Brad? I don’t remember them overlapping.

Dewberry threw passes to Vlad? I don't remember them overlapping.

Wouldn't have mattered. If we can't score from the 3 yard line or whatever in 4 plays then we weren't converting for 2.

I always felt more comfortable trap blocking from the LG position. I am right-handed and would throw my right arm back to rotate my body. It also gave our best RB the angle he needed to hit the hole.

It would've been a left handed shovel pass by Yates in that case. He probably can and has done it, but that's just another chance for error.

EDIT: And now that I think about that play even more. If Yates even just fakes the pitch out to Mason before he makes the shovel pass, he likely gets Skalski flowing out and Johnson makes a much easier kick out block.

Last edited:
Give the ball to our slowest OFF player with blocking by our worst (statistically) O Lineman.What could go wrong..?

Back