The thread formerly known as Breaking News.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
I hate this, he was only here for 1 season, not everyone is destined to start from Day1 in a P5 Conference.

We need fast OLBs , I have no idea why, in a Season of non Stop cluster-fv*ks on Defense, we didn't see a guy like Wright play, just to see what we have(had) for the future.

Did he play on kick coverage teams?

Surely he must've shown some potential there, I hope we aren't losing the wrong Guys to the Portal
If I were a player who thought his future career was going to be football, I would not want to play for this coach.

If I were a player who didn't think his future was going to be football, I would not want to be part of this mess.

It's coming down to the coaches and the administration on one side vs. the fans and the players on the other. I think the incompetents will find out they really can't keep getting paid without players and fans.

But I don't think they have the brains to figure it out before their checks start bouncing.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
Not surprising. Makes sense to do this before Saturday.

Seat is now hot, win next year or it's over.
The AD has people he answers to, too. If we get beat by 60 points Saturday, which is probably up to whether Kirby Smart thinks it's more important to keep Collins at Tech or to give his fan base the biggest laugh they've ever had, then the AD could easily change his "mind."

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
The AD has people he answers to, too. If we get beat by 60 points Saturday, which is probably up to whether Kirby Smart thinks it's more important to keep Collins at Tech or to give his fan base the biggest laugh they've ever had, then the AD could easily change his "mind."
Anything is possible but I don't think so unless Collins majorly puts his foot in his mouth.

After 55-0 to ND I'd say they're working off the assumption that the same will happen against U[sic]GA and he's already talked to the donors.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
If I were a player who thought his future career was going to be football, I would not want to play for this coach.

If I were a player who didn't think his future was going to be football, I would not want to be part of this mess.

It's coming down to the coaches and the administration on one side vs. the fans and the players on the other. I think the incompetents will find out they really can't keep getting paid without players and fans.

But I don't think they have the brains to figure it out before their checks start bouncing.
Aren't you forgetting the STUDENT part of student-athlete?

The Wasp

Varsity Lurker
Next year will likely be about like this years. Maybe three wins, maybe not. When recruits and parents see a dead man walking you will see the majority of signees with notes: "also had offers from UAB, Georgia Southern and Western Carolina". Larger number of players will hit the portal. Of course, all those who like this coach will talk about how great a recruiter he is, but trash the player immediately upon an announcement he is leaving. As for ticket sales, more scenes like Boston College, where maybe, maybe 4,000 people were there for the final horn. This is going to get much, much uglier before it gets better.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
Aren't you forgetting the STUDENT part of student-athlete?
"Student athletes" to me means regular students who play football because they like to do it. In exchange for the time they spend on it, they get a free education and a lot of dates, plus they get an advantage after they graduate and apply for jobs.

I think they had those when I was in high school. Maybe even when I was in college. But you can't have the Supreme Court saying they have to get compensated and still call them "student athletes." I would go along with "nice, athletically gifted people who are going to college and auditioning for a career in football."

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Alabama head coaching history:
Bryant 1958-1982 25 years Bama guy
Perkins 1983-1986 4 years Bama guy
Curry 1987-1989 3 years
Stallings 1990-1996 7 years Bear guy
DuBose 1997-2000 4 years
Franchione 2001-2003 3 years
Price 2003 0 games
Shula 2003-2006 4 years minus 1 game Bama guy, no HC experience before or after
Kines 2006 last game
Saban 2007-now 15+ years

If we want to get the best results emulate the best. Don't go past next year (the 4th) and can him before the end of that if warranted. Don't place any special emphasis on alums, although if you expand to their coaching trees it makes their stats here better.

We are not them and never will be but it is the same game. No further up than we are on the pecking order we should keep taking 3-4 year shots until we hit one and probably shouldn't gripe much about it because we can expect to have misses because we are not that special in the overall scheme of things.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
"Student athletes" to me means regular students who play football because they like to do it. In exchange for the time they spend on it, they get a free education and a lot of dates, plus they get an advantage after they graduate and apply for jobs.

I think they had those when I was in high school. Maybe even when I was in college. But you can't have the Supreme Court saying they have to get compensated and still call them "student athletes." I would go along with "nice, athletically gifted people who are going to college and auditioning for a career in football."
or just call them "athlete-students"

If they were "student-athletes" a significant number of successful players would be transferring because their majors didn't work out like they planned, not including those who have to transfer because they are flunking out.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
Seriously, I can’t think of much worse news coming off a loss tomorrow. I have lost all hope in this coach. My senior uncle and dear friend went up to ND and had to watch us lose in record style. Keeping this loser is a disgrace.

Killick

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
What supernatural powers did we offend that they would stick us with this AD and HC in charge of our football fortunes. We really have to clean house at least one step higher than AD, and maybe two. Random chance doesn't explain how we wound up with these two. Actual malice had to be at work. Would letting the players coach themselves give worse results? Maybe I'm wrong. Could be it's just the universe averaging out giving up Homer Rice and Cremins/Ross/O'Leary/Friedgen/Johnson.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.

You aren't and you aren't.

If frogs could fly they wouldn't bump their asses hopping.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Seriously, I can’t think of much worse news coming off a loss tomorrow. I have lost all hope in this coach. My senior uncle and dear friend went up to ND and had to watch us lose in record style. Keeping this loser is a disgrace.
Tomorrow? Wut?

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
If we can whip our OLs into shape and teach them how to hold like every other OL on every other level of FB, we win 8-9 games easy, I think we are close to getting over the hump, the ND fiasco just has us shell shocked that we were beaten so thoroughly.

I'll never understand why our OL & our Secondary has no competitive fire in them.
Got some fresh juice in ya? Easy answer to your lack of understanding though. Collins and Key.

oldgold68

Bitter old man
i hate to say it but the gtaa called about tickets and I happened to tell them i am moving to hawaii. For me its hard to watch this mess and dedicate the time to do it.
I told them I am moving to Diego Garcia!

Status
Not open for further replies.