"They only good thing is there is still time on the clock to maybe get in FG range"

I would love to hear and watch the last few minutes with their announcers. Someone put that together in '14.

From the SECRant's game thread:

Are you ööööting me? Play calling alone blew a three possession lead. This ain't on Richt, the AD, or the stars. If CKS is gonna be the man, he needs to pull his panties up and cut the weak link. Cheney ain't worth a damn...unless he's in a pancake eating competition. The defense can't score all the points. We've got a "world beater" QB and solid backs and can't get a damn first down. Cheney better have walking papers if UGA expects boosters to sink cash into this öööö show. I'm embarrassed, and if you say otherwise I'll bet you ain't paying jack to the program.

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-foo...rby-smart---defensive-genius/67242702/page-8/

Well they have a point. We had 3 TOs and 2 plays. Could have run off another 15s comfortably. Especially considering our 2014, I'm a bit surprised at CPJ not being more clock aware. It's not the first time he's done that, either.

Real talk: we called that timeout about ten seconds too soon.

Piss on em.

Yes, that was actually extremely poor clock management given that we had two (? at least two) timeouts left and it was goal to go. Fortunately it didn't end up mattering.

Yes, that was actually extremely poor clock management given that we had two (? at least two) timeouts left and it was goal to go. Fortunately it didn't end up mattering.
Only thing I can think of is CPJ didn't want to risk having our line sit there for 15 seconds and get all antsy in their pantsy and false start, or give the stadium time to get even louder and us false start.

I see the point y'all are making with clock management. 30 seconds seemed like an eternity when all they needed was a FG to win. But you never know when we could have a defensive PI that gives us an automatic first but suddenly we're down to 3 or 4 seconds because we were playing for the last snap of the game. In the broad scheme of things, we got the ball on their half of the field with 3 and a half minutes left and burned it down to 30 seconds and punched it in. I'll take it.

The complaints that CPJ called the TO too early and managed the clock poorly are incredibly unfair -- day after quarterbacking at its worst. Saying there were a maximum of two plays left ignores the possibility of defesive penalties. When the games on the line you gotta have a few seconds cushion to account for the unpredictable.

The complaints that CPJ called the TO too early and managed the clock poorly are incredibly unfair -- day after quarterbacking at its worst. Saying there were a maximum of two plays left ignores the possibility of defesive penalties. When the games on the line you gotta have a few seconds cushion to account for the unpredictable.

You have a fair point about the cushion, but it definitely isn't day after quarterbacking -- we were all saying it at the time in my parents' house. Even day after, I still think you run it down a bit more than we did, and if that U[sic]GA receiver doesn't drop that third down pass in stride at midfield...

Fortunately it worked out though, and the perfect answer to any second guessing after a win is, "scoreboard".

You have a fair point about the cushion, but it definitely isn't day after quarterbacking -- we were all saying it at the time in my parents' house. Even day after, I still think you run it down a bit more than we did, and if that U[sic]GA receiver doesn't drop that third down pass in stride at midfield...

Fortunately it worked out though, and the perfect answer to any second guessing after a win is, "scoreboard".

I don't know - more time gives you more options on plays to run. We're going to run the ball usually, so we're going to be in-bounds and the clock is going to continue to run. We're not getting in position for a field goal, we have to punch it in to win so if you get too tight with the clock there are alot of scenarios where you can paint yourself in a corner. If I'm balancing that with the fact that Eason is not a great passing QB, then I feel like you have to go with the option that gives you time for a BS penalty.

We just stomped on Kirby Smart's balls and y'all want to spend the morning after second-guessing Paul Johnson's clock management.

I hate being a Tech fan sometimes.

Yeah, if only there was a thread or twenty on the board where we could celebrate euphorically and make fun of U[sic]GA. Instead all we have is this one thread where we're discussing the tactics involved in the most critical stretch of the game in a respectful and friendly manner.

Being a Tech fan sucks sometimes!

We just stomped on Kirby Smart's balls and y'all want to spend the morning after second-guessing Paul Johnson's clock management.

It is ridiculous. CPJ has proven time and time again he knows what he is doing. How many times does he have to win these types of games before people just enjoy the win?

The last 3 playcalls and clock management were bad. It worked out in the end though

I respect your post management over the past two years.

Also, we hate you

Back