"They only good thing is there is still time on the clock to maybe get in FG range"

I was OK with the TO when it was called. The game was likely to be won or lost on that play or the next so it made sense to take a timeout and give instructions to the players.

In general, I think there is too much slop in the clock operation for a coach to finely manage the clock. Sometimes, coaches get too cute with working the clock and accidentally run themselves out of time. Also, you can't rely on the officials to always properly stop the clock when they are supposed to.

Risk - Return in my mind. Searcy made the score when we did and we won. If we keep running down to the final seconds our margin for error gets smaller and smaller.
That's fair. A typical play takes what? 7-8 seconds? I think calling the timeout with 20 seconds would've given us plenty of time for a potential 3rd play.

It is ridiculous. CPJ has proven time and time again he knows what he is doing. How many times does he have to win these types of games before people just enjoy the win?

I posted that at 2:45 in the morning when I got back from a ridiculous night of celebrating. I enjoyed the win. Simply pointing out what I believe to be poor clock management that could've cost us the game.

I am starting to get confused. We did win, didn't we? Am I just dreaming that we did?

You don't only call TOs to manage the clock. They are better used to instruct your players and not just for the clock. Who are any of you dbags to guess when Paul should use a TO, especially after a win? Don't forget to kill yourselves.

It is ridiculous. CPJ has proven time and time again he knows what he is doing. How many times does he have to win these types of games before people just enjoy the win?

Never -- presumably lots people are here because they like to discuss football, what happened, and things that could have been done differently. So I guess we will probably never stop talking about that stuff, even if we go 15-0 to win the national title.

In fact, I would say discussing tactics in addition to happily celebrating wins actually increases my enjoyment of football.

I am starting to get confused. We did win, didn't we? Am I just dreaming that we did?
You weren't dreaming. We won. It was awesome. It would've really sucked to lose on a game ending field goal though right?

Back