This Sat....56 years ago

In Kim King's book, he tells of meeting with Bear Bryant in the Georgian Terrace hotel the day of the game. Alabama was recruiting him. He says Bear was apprehensive about the game and referred to the early morning drizzle as "Dodd's weather."

Yep. King said Bryant was chain smoking and looking out the window saying “this is just what Bobby wants to happen” regarding the weather. Bryant knew about Dodd’s coaching ability and luck.

That game against Bama was one of the greatest. The picture of Coach Dodd in the locker room surrounded by Tech players after the game is one of my favorites. I believe that late in the game we stopped them two times deep in our territory with interceptions. And Sports Illustrated wrote a great article about it the next week, which you can still read online. The Tide was ranked number one and had a long winning streak coming into the game, but it was Tech's day. It might have been the greatest day in history to be a Tech fan.
Absolutely agree

Sherman? should have burned athens.

AE16196B-A824-4045-A62B-F1AF6400FFD4.png
Willie T Sherman conquered Georgia, but he never beat UGA’s ass 8 times in a row like my hero did

This post is solid gold. I’ve heard these stories from my Dad all my life and they never get old. Keep’em coming. Want Tech playing at those standards again.

You know, one of these days someone is gonna be talking about the blocked kick and six against FSU and folks will think "damn, they old"
What if the ones talking about it were old when it happened?

#mindblown

I was a twelve year old in the North Stands. Loudest game I have ever been at. Bryant had the game won, positioning for a winning field goal. Inexplicably threw a pass, it was tipped, Don Toner intercepted. Tech won. And you are correct, Namath said Rufus Guthrie's hit on the failed two point conversion was the hardest he was hit in his entire career.

Many thanks for this thread...... met Don Toner today at the Letterwinners' Tailgate in Peters Park & congratulated him on the 56th anniversary of that game. He was pleasantly surprised & corrected YeOldeDeepSnap that the pass was thrown by Jack Hurlburt, not Joe Willie. Very nice gent, originally from Bessamer, AL, also the home of Maxie Baughan.

Back