This should be fun...Mark Bradley Article

Bradley has this supposition in his head about PJ and recruiting and won't let go of it.
If PJ didn't care that much about recruiting, why do we have a new players lounge and a new locker room and more recruiting staff, all things he has been pushing for? PJ himself has said physical superiority cancels all theory. That's empirical evidence Bradley chooses to ignore because it doesn't support his own theory, which has no basis other than that he thinks it - and it's the old theory of propaganda where if you repeat it enough, people will assume it's true.
Bradley would be better off sticking to things he believes he knows more about than anyone else. Let's just say I overheard Furman Bisher refer to him one night as "Dr. Naismith, because he thinks he invented college basketball."
Of course he cares about recruiting. He already said so much when he said his offense, or any other offense, would obviously works better with bigger/faster athletes. It also *has* to be true, though, that he believes his offense can work well with marginal athletes. Otherwise he would just give up because he only has marginal athletes to work with. This the crux of the problem. His offense is stagnated, with maybe even a smaller playbook than when he started 11 years ago, and it has pretty much scared away all but only players desperate to play P5 ball. You can spout recruiting rankings data all you want but his teams completely fail any eye test. I know good athletes when I see them and what I see now looks like FIU level players. Hell, even FIU puts players into the league so maybe not even FIU level.

The more these coaching conversations happen, the more I find myself in the "that's a good problem to have" camp. If a coach is doing a good enough job that he gets lured away by a factory, that means the program as a whole is probably doing well. Which would likely mean the job would be more appealing to the potential pool of coaching candidates, and we'd have more cash (than we do now) to throw at the next one.

Don't get me wrong, I do think there's something to be said for some consistency in the coaching department, but I also don't think being a career launch pad is the worst thing in the world.

Agreed. I'll take another Boss Ross Natty and then a departure after a 4-5 year tenure rather than what we have now, which is losing seasons, missed bowls, apathy and irrelevancy.

Outside of Alabama and Clemson, every coaching job in America gets bolted from for greener pastures.

There is 11 years of evidence that recruiting hasn’t been great.
Agreed but it is not because he doesn't care about it. That is a defense mechanism. And when he downplays it, that is strategic, as well. If you aren't doing well at something, it makes sense to downplay its importance.

I'm not so sure that him making it even more of a focus would actually improve it, without increasing the resources going towards it (which hopefully we are starting to do.) Might be too little too late, though.

...so ugas savior is .500 against the guy GT can’t do better than? Allright then.

Agreed. I'll take another Boss Ross Natty and then a departure after a 4-5 year tenure rather than what we have now, which is losing seasons, missed bowls, apathy and irrelevancy.

Outside of Alabama and Clemson, every coaching job in America gets bolted from for greener pastures.

Uh, I know Clemson has been successful lately, but they are some historically remarkable program. They are pretty ööööing average.

All this talk is just academic. Once he loses the support of the fan base (like Gailey did) then he will be terminated.

Whether what might happen or who we hire or what öööö-all might exist will be immaterial.

I feel it’s also responsible to point out though that the odds that we get another Ross/O’Leary are by no means a given, and I’d guess statistically we’re much more likely to get someone that fizzles. I’m just saying that if we were to strike gold on a future hire, and that gold bolts, it’s not the worst problem to have (and like you said, it happens at the vast majority of programs).

Last edited:
If we can get the right coach and a bunch of really good generational talent on one team then I think we'd have a good chance.

Do y'all hear yourselves talk sometimes?

If we can get the right coach and a bunch of really good generational talent on one team then I think we'd have a good chance.

Do y'all hear yourselves talk sometimes?

You’re just jealous you didn’t come up with such a profound idea.

Sad, but Bradley’s story is uncomfortably on the mark. Remember the hoops coach search? I don’t hold M Bob responsible for the false starts there. People used us to set their price for other jobs w/o our recruiting difficulties.

Uh, I know Clemson has been successful lately, but they are some historically remarkable program. They are pretty ööööing average.

Fine - they're a stepping stone too. I.E. Every job on earth outside POTUS or SCOTUS justice or ninja is a stepping stone so the "We don't want some kickass coach 'cause he'll leave!" is an asinine argument. Not that you are making that argument, @BuckNasty.

I feel it’s also responsible to point out though that the odds that we get another Ross/O’Leary are by no means a given, and I’d guess statistically we’re much more likely to get someone that fizzles. I’m just saying that if we were to strike gold on a future hire, and that gold bolts, it’s not the worst problem to have (and like you said, it happens at the vast majority of programs).

Agreed. We're GT - we can do that.

I can promise you that in 2 months he will be above .500.
In my mind, the 2018 COFH game starts out with Tech taking a touchback on the opening kickoff, and by the end, Paul Johnson is on the 50 yard line seated in a chair with a uGA flag behind him, a camera in front of him, and he’s reading off a pro uGA propaganda speech while he’s physically shaking and his voice cracking.

In my mind, the 2018 COFH game starts out with Tech taking a touchback on the opening kickoff, and by the end, Paul Johnson is on the 50 yard line seated in a chair with a uGA flag behind him, a camera in front of him, and he’s reading off a pro uGA propaganda speech while he’s physically shaking and his voice cracking.
The Man in the High Coach's Booth, a great alternative history series

Back