Thoughts from the Game

Traditional offenses have more acrobatics, more jumping/diving catches. So if you want a gymnastics show the spread option may not be for you

Traditional offenses have more acrobatics, more jumping/diving catches. So if you want a gymnastics show the spread option may not be for you
We have guys diving and reaching the ball out towards the endzone. Creates excitement.

I am a CJ fan, but this statement is retarded.

'Arguably' by who? Retards?

He has some important NFL records. And was the only guy with a remotely realistic chance of approaching Rice numbers if he didn’t retire early. Made Stafford look respectable. I’d say he’ll be mentioned among the all time greats.

I am a CJ fan, but this statement is retarded.

'Arguably' by who? Retards?
I'm very confused. Are you saying only a retard would argue Calvin Johnson could be the best wide receiver to play football? I never said he was, but it could easily be argued...

I've lurked a bit on a couple of Louisville message boards post-game to see what they thought of things. They aren't really talking about us or the game much, they're mostly talking about firing BVG and Petrino.

But I did see one thread about how dirty our chop blocking is and how we might have ended a lineman's career with an intentional dirty chop block. I did see a lineman get hurt during the game, but there was no flag. Anybody see what actually happened? (Could well have been a chop block, but that's really not something that we do on purpose, and these sandy vaginas need to get over it.)

A UK guy jumped into that same thread to complain about our chop blocks in the Gator Bowl, despite the fact that the tape shows that the injuries on the line were just normal "lineman getting rolled up on" kinds of injuries and not blocking injuries.

JRjr

I did see a lineman get hurt during the game, but there was no flag.
If it's the play I'm thinking of, the TV commentators said it was definitely a chop block and couldn't believe it wasn't called. They didn't say, and I seriously doubt, that it was intentional.

If it's the play I'm thinking of, the TV commentators said it was definitely a chop block and couldn't believe it wasn't called. They didn't say, and I seriously doubt, that it was intentional.

Why would a chop block be intentional?
  1. It's bad for the offense. 3-o relies on creating numbers. Blocking 1 guy with 2 undermines that.
  2. Why would CPJ write up a play that intentionally results in a 15-yard penalty? That's basically the opposite of offense.
Chop blocks happen when someone makes a mistake and blocks the wrong guy. It happens in our offense more than others because it's more likely in our offense that one of the two blockers is cut blocking.

Why would a chop block be intentional?
  1. It's bad for the offense. 3-o relies on creating numbers. Blocking 1 guy with 2 undermines that.
  2. Why would CPJ write up a play that intentionally results in a 15-yard penalty? That's basically the opposite of offense.
Chop blocks happen when someone makes a mistake and blocks the wrong guy. It happens in our offense more than others because it's more likely in our offense that one of the two blockers is cut blocking.
Why indeed? People on the Louisville message boards were saying it was.

Why indeed? People on the Louisville message boards were saying it was.

To be fair, these are some of the same folks who observed that our band's first down music is the same first down music that Kentucky plays, so we must have been playing it just to troll them. That implies a level of "caring about Louisville" that we obviously have no reason to possess. To their credit, a couple of folks on their board seemed genuinely impressed to learn that we actually have some football history here (Heisman, Dodd, Cumberland - the usual talking points).

JRjr

Or a huge Clemson DL making a behind the line tackle of the B-back...only to discover the QB is in the end zone with the ball.

Had forgotten about this and just spent 15 minutes finding it.

(Around 7:40)

The NG held on to the center that was releasing to the second level. The center did not want to engage the NG. The guard hit the NG that was holding onto the center. Worse off, holding the center releasing turns the NG and the OT hit him not in a good spot. Holding is very dangerous to the NG and if a coach teaches this he has no care for his players.

I don't think that is a chop block, but can be called if the ref does not see it for what it is.

The NG held on to the center that was releasing to the second level. The center did not want to engage the NG. The guard hit the NG that was holding onto the center. Worse off, holding the center releasing turns the NG and the OT hit him not in a good spot. Holding is very dangerous to the NG and if a coach teaches this he has no care for his players.

I don't think that is a chop block, but can be called if the ref does not see it for what it is.

that's what I saw - the C wasn't engaging the DL, the DL was engaging him and then got blocked. The refs got it right by assessing correctly the C wasn't blocking him.
If Louisville fans want to be mad, be mad at your DL coach for teaching dirty tricks like holding offensive linemen

The 'ville fans I sat near in section 106 were pleasant and seemed very interested in GT. One lady asked me in the 3rd quarter after our back up QB scored his 1st TD, "Who have you lost to?". It was kind of embarrassing having to admit that along with Clemson, we had lost to USF and Pittsburgh, especially Pitt. Another man asked me if watching our offense got boring, and I had to tell him that when I watched a similar offense at Oklahoma and Bammer in the 70's, yes, it was boring, but when it is your own team, and they are dominating the opposing D, it really is fun.

Those Oklahoma & Nebraska offenses I remember from the early 80's were similar to ours; but often relied on brute force to pound the ball down the field. Their offensive lines where big corn fed boys. Our version of option relies more on finesse and quickness. For as much as we run the ball, we really aren't the smash mouth, three yards and a cloud of dust offense many opposing fans think we are.

To be the best of all time you have to have some longevity. Retiring at 30 because of injury problems is a disqualifier. He is certainly a HOF WR and a top 10 of all time IMO, but not in the conversation of best of all time. He might've had the best statistical season ever, but this doesn't hold up over a 3 or 4 year period.

tenor.gif

To be the best of all time you have to have some longevity. Retiring at 30 because of injury problems is a disqualifier. He is certainly a HOF WR and a top 10 of all time IMO, but not in the conversation of best of all time. He might've had the best statistical season ever, but this doesn't hold up over a 3 or 4 year period.

tenor.gif
It’s all semantics dude. I said best to play, not best of all time or best career/whatever. Moss or Rice had the better careers and can be in the GOAT discussion, but megatron at his prime was arguably better. I guess I’m retarded.

Back