Thoughts on O'Brien's departure....

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Thoughts on O\'Brien\'s departure....

Anyone who reads my posts kinda gets the feeling that I'm not one of Gailey's biggest fans. True, true....Gailey excites me about as much as a melted bowl of vanilla ice cream. And today's annoucement by O'Brien could be viewed by many fellow Chan bashers as yet another crack in Gailey's shaky foundation.
I, however, view this opening at OC as a great opportunity for Gailey to make major corrections to serious problems on offense. Let's hope that Gailey brings in someone who is not only a great offensive mind, but a great recruiter and teacher, and a great reader of player strengths and weaknesses. We will all agree that Gailey and O'Brien, for whatever reason, did not get it done. If we must continue to have Gailey as our coach, let's hope he has enough sense to hire the best OC out there to, if nothing else, save his neck. Unless Gailey secretly wants early retirement, this hire will be critical to his continued employment as Tech's Head Coach. Gailey has used up all of his mulligans and must hit paydirt with this hire.
Good hunting Coach Gailey. Try to surprise some of us with little faith.
BOO

Re: Thoughts on O\'Brien\'s departure....

Well...if nothing else, this will finally put a stop to the "is it BOB or Chan's fault?" argument that raged last year as the offense fell apart. Finally, we'll have a staff that is completely Chan's and we'll see his brand of offense. I, for one, do not think that Chan exhibited much control over the offense last year. For the most part, IMO, he let BOB run the show. I know some of you disagree with that assessment and that's your right.

I'm happy that this change is taking place. It was good for BOB to go back to his mentor...and good for Tech that he's no longer the OC. BOB contributed alot around here and I'm appreciative. But I felt that he wasn't up to snuff as an OC...or at the very least, the BOB/CG thing wasn't up to snuff.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Anyone who reads my posts kinda gets the feeling that I'm not one of Gailey's biggest fans. True, true....Gailey excites me about as much as a melted bowl of vanilla ice cream. And today's annoucement by O'Brien could be viewed by many fellow Chan bashers as yet another crack in Gailey's shaky foundation.
I, however, view this opening at OC as a great opportunity for Gailey to make major corrections to serious problems on offense. Let's hope that Gailey brings in someone who is not only a great offensive mind, but a great recruiter and teacher, and a great reader of player strengths and weaknesses. We will all agree that Gailey and O'Brien, for whatever reason, did not get it done. If we must continue to have Gailey as our coach, let's hope he has enough sense to hire the best OC out there to, if nothing else, save his neck. Unless Gailey secretly wants early retirement, this hire will be critical to his continued employment as Tech's Head Coach. Gailey has used up all of his mulligans and must hit paydirt with this hire.
Good hunting Coach Gailey. Try to surprise some of us with little faith.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Let's hope he is a Tech man with head coaching potential, 1 to 2 years out.

"Let's hope he is a Tech man with head coaching potential, 1 to 2 years out."
Wouldn't hurt
BOO

Good posts Dodds Ghost and Bugboy... I would have to say that I feel the same..

I thank Coach O'Brien for all of his hard work at Tech, and I feel that his star will only get brighter as the years go by... but I think the change will serve both him and Tech well..

Truthfully, I didnt like the play of our offense in 2001 or 2002... and dont care to place blame anywhere.. I just didnt like it either years.. both years were too predictable.. if a lay person like me can call where the play is going, and who is going to get the ball 50% of the time.. something is wrong.. but I could.

The other aspect that I like about this is that now Gailey has no excuses... he cant go to anyone and say "well, the reason is you wanted me to keep this coach".. he has no excuses now..

I also think that Coach O'Brien actually left the Flats emotionally in Dec 2001... not saying that he didnt give good effort etc.. but I think the emotional decision to leave for ND had a lingering effect with him..

I wish him luck.. and thank him.. and look forward to hearing who his replacement will be...

Let's hope he is a Tech man with head coaching potential, 1 to 2 years out.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just what exactly is a Tech man? And, in your scenario, why should we promote someone from a staff where the HC gets canned, just because he is a "Tech man"?

Finally, we'll have a staff that is completely Chan's
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So did Coach Spencer announce his resignation too? Hopefully not! The man is a quiet WARRIOR for the Tech program and we are blessed to have him. Saw his name as the recruiting coach on many of the videos of the incoming kids. Chatted with him afterwards and realized this guy is the real deal!

We don't need to worry about hiring somebody promotable to HC. Gailey will be here a long time and all of us are going to be damn happy about it. 10 years from now, Bradley is going to be writing rabble-rousing columns that begin, "It's hard to believe now but in 2003 some people thought Mark Richt was going to reign over Georgia football forever. And the same people thought Chan Gailey was the death knell for Tech. 'Who's Mark Richt?' Is that what some of you short-memoried types are asking? Well, nobody is asking who Gailey is after the run he has had...."

I like the sound of that belly. I hope you are right.

Gailey will do a good job hiring a replacement. He was able to lure plenty of good guys last year and I don't think you will see anything different this time.

My feel on O'Brien is that it was the best thing that could have happened for both sides. O'Brien realized that he wasn't exactly putting together a great offense and had to get out from Tech before he ruined his "young up and comer" reputation that he has somehow developed (hasn't done anything to justify it). Going back to the guy who essentially gave him his reputation is probably the smartest move he could have made.

As for Tech, Gailey is the leader of this team and if a member of his staff isn't on board with him (which O'Brien didn't seem to be) then nothing but bad things are going to happen. This will allow him to bring in a guy who he has faith in and allow him to live and die by his way rather than someone else's.

Good luck O'Brien in your future!
Good luck Gailey in bringing in a quailty addition to the staff!

From Maryland's board.....

Re: RF hiring Tech's offensive coordainator...
Posted: 2/7/03 1:11:21 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you know a guy's name only from watching the Tech fans slam him relentlessly it's not a good thing.
BOO

BOB's exodus was very timely. It looks like a really good move on his part (assuming he wasn't encouraged). If it ain't working sometimes it's best to move on and it wasn't working. I think he(they) pulled the trigger at precisely the right time.

We sometimes forget how young he is. He can go back to "apprenticing" under Ralph for a few more years, if he wants to, and still be a young guy when and if he gets his first HC job (possibly Ralph's replacement?). He could probably stand a little more salt. On the other hand, BOB may be best suited for an asst/coordinator future. There's some outstanding football minds around that are never HCs or mediocre as HCs.

In any event, best of luck to him and his family. He was a good soldier for TECH for several years and they're fine people. Thanks, Bill.

Good riddance! Now we got a 100% Southern staff.

Originally posted by Dr. B:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"> Let's hope he is a Tech man with head coaching potential, 1 to 2 years out.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just what exactly is a Tech man? And, in your scenario, why should we promote someone from a staff where the HC gets canned, just because he is a "Tech man"?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dr. B,

A "Tech man" is someone who graduated from Tech. In this case, if not graduated at least played his college football here before entering the NFL/coaching profession.

Why a Tech man? Hopefully, a little more loyality and a longer stay. We have really been a revolving door for way to long for professional coaches with no stronger ties than the next pay check. Yes, I recall all too well Bill Curry. I'm sure if Curry could live his life over that was one move he would never have made.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone who is not an excellent coach. But it would be some iceing on the cake.

Originally posted by Dr. B:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"> Let's hope he is a Tech man with head coaching potential, 1 to 2 years out.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just what exactly is a Tech man? And, in your scenario, why should we promote someone from a staff where the HC gets canned, just because he is a "Tech man"?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
[/QUOTE]Oh, Dr. B, I never said promote him just because he is a Tech man. But I bet you knew that.

I agree 100% with Dodd's Ghost and FHStinger!!!! Good riddance and let's finally cut the cord with the Northeast Corrider Connection.

I, along with Dodd's Ghost, see this as a positive thing for the moment. A great hire would help us get behind Gailey

FROM TOP10Bee ON THE HIVE:

TOP10 OC Candidates and their specialties
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOP10 OC Candidates and their specialties

1. Colonel Sanders............... the wishbone.

2. Robert Blake.................... the red gun offense.

3. George W. Bush.............. throwing bombs.

4. The Elephant Man........... the two-back system.

5. Madonna.......................... the spread offense.

7. Phil Spector....................... the run and shoot.

8. Rich Little......................... multiple offenses.

9. John Holmes..................... likes to go deep.

10. Bill Clinton...................... the down and out.
Pretty good stuff!
BOO

What, IMO, a sad statement:

"A great hire would help us get behind Gailey."

If this isn't the comment of a fair weather fan, then what else would be? I am glad you are in the minority. Why don't you get behind the coach, the program, the team now? I think there has been enough proof over the last couple of weeks regarding recruits canvassing boards and noticing negative comments and the impact it has on their thoughts to a program. I am not asking you to be an apologist, but in a public forum, keep it positive! So if Gailey hires someone that you think isn't "great" are you gonna bail on GT?

Way to go BOB! I would like to congratulate him and wish him well. He is a bright and talented young coach who will do well at Maryland. As for non supporters like FHstinger, be careful what you wish for. We've lost a great coach and now we can spend next year watching our program circle the drain.

Most of the line of reasoning exhibited in this thread is pathetic and boringly repetitious, and just plain sickening. Originality and creative thinking would do wonders for some of you.
The greatest amount of loyalty that many have shown is strictly to "SELF". Quit strutting this garbage about loyalty to Tech; you are loyal to yourself. You will never be content until the world revolves around you as you want it ideally for your own self gratification. Self==Selfishness, pitiful unceasing crying out to fill one's disproportionate ego.
Tech Man/Smech Man--Who in his right mind with proper values and desires for an excellent football programs cares if the coach is a Tech Man or a woman from an all girl's college? Tech men have come and gone, they have succeeded and failed. It is the same with non-Tech men.
"I was here before Chan came and I will be here when he is gone." Woo, Woo, big deal. What a pathetic attitude. Try growing up/maturing for a change.
Excuse me while I vomit.

Let me begin this by saying, I am a tech fan and have been since the 1980's ;however, I never graduated from Tech....For that fact I was raised in SC, my grandparents are the ones from Ga and instilled the tech values in me
grin.gif
.... I say all that to say that I don't feel one must bee a Tech grad or alum to bee a great OC or coach for that fact. I think that it would bee wonderful if the new OC was a "tech man" but I don't think it is a necessary qualifier....Just food for thought.

Back