Thoughts on O'Brien's departure....

Re: Thoughts on O\'Brien\'s departure....

Originally posted by kingbee:
Way to go BOB! I would like to congratulate him and wish him well. He is a bright and talented young coach who will do well at Maryland. As for non supporters like FHstinger, be careful what you wish for. We've lost a great coach and now we can spend next year watching our program circle the drain.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Kingbee.. respecting your opinion.. but that has to be one of the silliest statements I have heard on here in a while.. it has been known for a while that BOB was leaving.. and if you read between the lines of what was said by the coaches in December they knew it then.. as I stated above, I appreciate what BOB did while at Tech.. but he is no OC... not at this stage in his career anyway... I dont see Ralph making him Marylands OC !

And the program is not going down the drain... in my opinion, this is a good move for both parties.. and an overdue move as well.

Techsamillion... you post gave me a chuckle.. but I cannot argue with anything you have written.. I agree... I dont care if the kids are from Georgia or not, and dont care if the coaches are "Tech Men" or not... I just want them to play hard and win ...

I wonder how many would be upset if Gruden decided to come to Tech.. or I wonder how many would be upset if Friedgen decided to come back to Tech.. or I wonder if many would have been upset if we had taken Ernie Sims instead of a kid from Georgia during recruiting... food for thought!

kingbee, I too wish BOB well and hope this turns out to be a good move for him. But to assume that his leaving will send our program down the drain is illogical. The fact is our offensive production has dropped since he took over as OC. We can point to a lot of reasons why, but that's the simple fact. It would be hard for our offense to be any worse next year, no matter what happens. I think we'll be fine, especially if we find an new OC and/or QB coach with more experience that BOB in teaching the position to young players.

ncjacket, that has been the title of my song for two years now. Failure to develop young qb's has hurt us badly. I think it might have worked better if he had stayed at RB coach along with the OC responsibilities. Anyway if we can hire a sharp OC that is also a fine teacher and then give him some freedom, then we could see some light at the end of the tunnel.
I am still wondering if his resignation was voluntary or if he had some help with the decision. Brian Murphy had a good story in today's Macon Telegraph along with some comments
by BOB. While BOB said all the correct coach speak it was obvious that some disharmony existed
between BOB and Chan. Anyway I hope BOB success
except when he is coaching against Tech.

techsamillion & others,

If you are through tickling your throat with a feather (better check out your shoe tops), I used to feel (until this season) the same way you do about a coach ; who cares where he comes from as long as he does a good job while he is here.

In fact, I still agree mostly with that frame of mind. However, my position has somewhat changed. Here's why:

Tech does not have the kind of school size and environment to run a program that draws a fan base as large and generates the revenue that programs like FSU, UF, Alamama, Tenn, Ohio State, Nebraska, and yes UGA.

Last time I checked, we will be pushing to fill 55K seats let alone a stadium that seats 100K and larger.

In order to be competitive with the larger programs we need a high caliber coaching staff. The challenge lies in recruiting a coaching staff of such caliber and having them stay and not use Tech as a stepping-stone for bigger things, a trend that is accelerating through out college football.

One reason a high caliber coach might stay longer (no guarantees i.e. Curry) might be if he has a personal attachment to Tech that a graduate or former Tech football player might have. A great example of this is RF back to Maryland. He is an outstanding coach who had deep ties to his school and will very likely stay a long time.

Next time we have a vacancy in the HC’s position I would also like to see Tech fill the position with an outstanding (accept nothing less) head coach who also has a personal loyalty to Tech.

Yes, I hope Chan Gailey is successful and stays a long time. But the chances are slim that this will happen. Either he will not be successful and will leave soon, in one or two more seasons, or he will be very successful and will leave in three to five years to go back in the NFL or a program like UF.

That’s why I would like to see an outstanding OC brought in to replace BOB. The icing on the cake would be one with a personal attachment to Tech. I believe we will need a new head coach sooner than you think.

If Gailey is highly successful at Tech, he will retire at Tech. If he is not successful, he will not be here long.

He will leave only if he is not highly successful and has no fan support. If he is highly successful, of course, he will have a very high base of fan support.

It is as simple as the above statements.

wink.gif

Tech lost an excellent coach and Gailey lost his designated scapegoat.

Congrats to the Fridge, Coach O'Brien and the terps.

You cannot "develop young quarterbacks" who are injured, who are not hard workers, who don't have "it". Haven't you guys ever heard the expression, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"? Why is there so much insistence that coaches must do the impossible? Do you really think that coaches made any real difference in the play of Jeff George? Or Bob Griese? Fran Tarkenton resisted every direction a coach ever gave him.
A coach's job is to get everybody, players and staff, on the same page, playing hard. The players have to bring the talent, the ability, and the desire to play football. And they have to be physically capable of playing against their competition. By the end of last season, we weren't.

P.S.

Good to have some of you old coots back aboard..
smile.gif

ahsoIsee,

Welcome back! Good to hear from you even when you disagree with me.

bellyseries,

Chicken or the egg.. Program needs both, a good head coach brings in good players and gives them a winning game plan.

Gailey hasn't proven he can do either, other than that I'm a huge fan of his.

bellyseries,

Chicken or the egg.. Program needs both, a good head coach brings in good players and gives them a winning game plan.
71bee (quote)
Gailey hasn't proven he can do either, other than that I'm a huge fan of his.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He hasn't had time to do either yet but I believe he will if given that time. I also am glad to see ahso , belly back who add a lot to the board evan though we disagree from time to time I appreciate the fact that they handle things with character.

FBD,

How much time does he need to prove he can do neither?

I'm thinking one more year for most forever for some here.

BOB's leaving, I for one am glad he's gone! I do wish him luck and sucess in his future endevors, however, I take except to him being a good coach and motivator. I saw the worst game calling, QB preparation I have ever seen in a Tech O. I saw a very good O starting with the Peach Bowl slowly fade into the dust under his tenure. This past year the fading almost developed into a stampede. The Tech O had no imagination, no new frills from week to week and a QB, whom I'm told is a heck of a nice guy, go from bad to worse. So am I glad he's gone yep and a double yep.

I just want to know who woke up Beeware...andwhy.

Originally posted by 71Bee:

bellyseries,

Gailey hasn't proven he can do either, other than that I'm a huge fan of his.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's mostly good players. You can be a poor game-plan coach and win with good players-see, e.g., Bobby Cremins. But if you don't have the mules, you can't pull the wagon, no matter how smart you are, no matter how well you understand the slope of the road and the co-efficient of friction.

"Gailey hasn't proven he can do either" is at this point, a silly remark.

Originally posted by GTechsta:
What, IMO, a sad statement:

"A great hire would help us get behind Gailey."

So if Gailey hires someone that you think isn't "great" are you gonna bail on GT?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
Long-time Tech fans never bail on GT. They are in it for the long haul. They are just tired of coaches who don't seem capable of getting the job done, or "bail" on GT. Long-time Tech fans will be going to Tech games and supporting the GTAA long after Gailey, and coaches like him, have come and gone.
BOO

ncjacket: one of the most hilarious posts ever!

Thanks.
grin.gif

Gee, jacketguy, I'm not sure what's so "silly" about wishing someone well. Perhaps because many use this site to rip people apart. And forgive me, ncjacket. I did not mean to imply that BOB's leaving will send our program down the drain. I am more concerned about the coaches who are still here. Get it?

Back