Time for change

First, I don't think it will do any good at this point.

Second, I've often thought in games such as Syracuse where we win 56-0, we should be throwing it around to get our offense comfortable passing in game situations.

In fact, I think CPJ should have us throw the ball 15 times per game minimum regardless of the flow of the game. We have to do it so that it will be there when we need it. And I don't want to hear that's what practice is for...games are different. Our O doesn't get donkey punched in practice like it did against VT and 1st Q against Clemson.
Cuse was in 2 deep coverage with the MLB deep pretty much the entire game. You don't want to throw into that from our base set unless you want to practice throwing picks. We had to run at that alignment.

I have a great idea. Let's use this weekends game to practice our passing skills. I have a feeling Georgia will be looking for us to run week from this saturday.

Because we don't practice passing at all during the week?

I have a great idea. Let's use this weekends game to practice our passing skills. I have a feeling Georgia will be looking for us to run week from this saturday.

That's exactly what we did for the 2nd half of the Elon game. It didn't really help since our O-line can actually pass block against FCS players.

Passing requires pass-protection and our OL gets confused as to whether they should stop-drop-and-roll or stand up and block.

Either way, there's no passing game until there is pass protection so what's the point of practicing if we can't do it during the game.

I do wonder exactly how much we practice passing during the week.

If I were CPJ, I would narrow the option playbook to the core runs that usually works well, and then practice just that core 50% of the time. Then practice passing the other 50% of the time.

3O
Midline Option
Counter Option
Rocket Toss
B Back Load Option
Inside Trap
BB Zone Handoff
QB draw

Practice each with straight blocking and switch blocking (WR in on the LB, AB out on the CB) and call that quits. Nothing else in the run game. Spend 50% of practice on that, and 50% on passing, and at least one third of the passing practice should be on screens. If we can't get good at the above plays in 50% of practice, then reduce the number of plays.

That's exactly what we did for the 2nd half of the Elon game. It didn't really help since our O-line can actually pass block against FCS players.

Well we did throw for 4 TDs against Duke. Maybe the effects just wore off :hsugh:

OOBurdell you are right. They are to use to having to run the option so a pass play confuses the offensive line. Who's fault is that? MMMM I wonder?

CPJ > Cutcliffe
Highly debatable. Cutcliffe has gradually built with progressive improvement and gotten better instead of worse as his own recruited players worked into the system.

If some young coach did show up and somehow show the world that he's that big of a genius that he can beat Georgia with leftovers, he's going to get hired by Texas.
Probably but that's okay. It positions us to get a better replacement that is less unknown.

Err?

We've had the same record for like two decades under 3 coaches, and history doesn't support that that record is indeed the best anyone can reasonably expect to do here?
O"Leary did better. Ross did better. (Now, if you want to say anyone who can do better will leave eventually then that is a different argument.)

Hell, Chan wet the bed against UGA and found ways to lose games we should not lose, but we had roughly the same records well into his watch with more quality wins. Yes, he had more bad losses to go with those quality wins.

If I wanted to take a defeatist attitude and accept GT could do no better than we have done the past few years, i would rather do it with a likable guy like Chan. But that is a moot point since I was ready for him to go as well.

I want CPJ to succeed, but he is making way too much money to have peaked in his second year. If we are happy with consistently mediocre results than we can do that more cost effectively. Time to show improvement and the clock is ticking, rightfully so.

beej67 I like your idea about narrowing the option playbook and practice that 50% of the time and passing the other 50%

I propose a change that we trade Vad Lee for Jordan Lynch from Northern Illinois.

I propose a change that we trade Vad Lee for Jordan Lynch from Northern Illinois.

yeah he did really well against FSU last season. He'd probably be the difference maker we need to beat teams like Clemson.

beej67 I like your idea about narrowing the option playbook and practice that 50% of the time and passing the other 50%

We don't look practiced when we have to throw. I think our issue is half practice.

Mike Leach used to say in interviews that he runs his practices so that the QB is making a pass every 20 seconds, and the WRs are in routes every 20 seconds. His QBs get good through insane amounts of repetition. I question whether we have that sort of passing repetition in our practice regimen.

I think the system is fine, and could work, if PJ'd just do what it's "supposed" to do. It's "supposed" to suck the other guys into 9 at the line to defend the option, then throw it over the top. When we finally get them to stack 9 at the line, we don't throw it over the top. It's like we're the dog who caught the car and don't know what to do with it.

I believe in CPJ's offense because I know enough about it to know that we're not doing it right. :/

We got a great plan for saturday's game run left run right and run up the middle Let's pass a little to get ready for georgia cause we may have to against those dawgs that I hate so much. I can not stand those dawgs and I don't want to get blown out by them.

We got a great plan for saturday's game run left run right and run up the middle Let's pass a little to get ready for georgia cause we may have to against those dawgs that I hate so much. I can not stand those dawgs and I don't want to get blown out by them.

VL passed it 11 times against Elon, a lot of times considering he only played in the first half.

yeah he did really well against FSU last season. He'd probably be the difference maker we need to beat teams like Clemson.

Lynch vs FSU in the Urnge Bowel:
23 carries, 44 yards rushing.
15 completions, 41 attempts, 176 yards passing.

I give up. Sounds like most want to keep Paul Johnson for fear we will never be able to do better but no matter what I love the Ramblin' Wreck.

I give up. Sounds like most want to keep Paul Johnson for fear we will never be able to do better but no matter what I love the Ramblin' Wreck.

Don't worry, if we don't improve he won't beat UGA or win other big games, and the problem will solve itself.

Back