Tobias Oliver to WR - PER AJC REPORT

Bring back the triple option. How long is it going to take for this troll to take off? I see a lot of butthurt L arounds in my alerts coming in the future.

They had to be sure that Graham's academic issues were resolved before counting on him as the starting QB.

Yeah, we'd hate to have our QB declared ineligible for the bowl game.

5lytn.jpg

5lytn.jpg
No, we didn't know until start of fall camp that he would even be eligible for the season. He also stated himself that he spent the spring and summer really hitting the books so he got behind on learning the offense. He was just able to start picking back up in fall camp and it took him a while to overcome the other guys. I firmly believe that if JG had not been in hot water with his grades, that he would have been the starter all along.

I wonder why the coaches didn't make this switch sooner. (like fall camp) Was/is Tobias thinking of transfer like Parker Braun? Or did the Coaching staff just completely miss handle the QB transition?

Let’s look at the timeline

JG- academic ineligible thru out the spring and told to focus more school

2 week of Fall Camp he is deemed eligible but has nowhere near the reps

Staff ready to settle on him as QB, gets hurt week of Citadel

Lucas gets hurt in Citadel game.

JG plays vs. Temple and shows he can move the offense in the air and with his feet

and now we are here

I wonder why the coaches didn't make this switch sooner. (like fall camp) Was/is Tobias thinking of transfer like Parker Braun? Or did the Coaching staff just completely miss handle the QB transition?
Probably because TO was the only QB on the roster with any game time or a recorded pass. Experience is very valuable and they probably wanted him at QB to at least serve as a safe, if not explosive, option.

Makes sense. At WR, when he drops the ball, it's not a fumble.

Its funny that just three weeks ago we had “we don’t have starters we only have above the line.”

Later that month “James did really good as the starter.” Words from patanauds mouth.

It seems the beating around the bush was just for the kids.

Agreed. He has 2 seasons after this one since he got his waiver. And if he's been working hard he is probably close to graduating.
He probably should once he gets his degree. That is, if he wants to play football some more.

JG plays vs. Temple and shows he can move the offense in the air and with his feet

and now we are here

The story was Graham didn't even practice until Wed before Temple.

I bet the plan was to start him against Citadel but then he got hurt.

and now we are here
Lalalalalala

Coaching staff six

Lalalalalala

From the Article:

Graham’s play has apparently earned him the No. 1 quarterback spot. The season-ending injury to wide receiver Jalen Camp and the desire for coaches to get Oliver onto the field has routed him to receiver, where position coach Kerry Dixon has been happy to receive him.

“He’s one of the best natural athletes I’ve ever been around,” Dixon said Monday on coach Geoff Collins’ radio show. “Extremely competitive.”

“You’ll see him doing different things for us,” Collins said. “Don’t want to give too much away, but we’re being creative just like we always are and being innovative, and when you have someone like that with his skillset, (we’re) trying to make sure we showcase that for himself and for the betterment of the team, too.”

“I guess it feels good to know where I’m at right now, but we’ve had several guys all over the team that are playing multiple positions, so it’s not like it’s uncommon that I’m playing a different position,” Oliver said Wednesday following practice.

“Every receiver has their own way of getting separation, so it’s just finding what I want to do and perfecting it,” Oliver said.

“I’m enjoying the process,” Oliver said. “There comes a rough patch when there’s transition from position to position, but I have pretty good coaches around me that have been in the same position, so it’s not as bad.”

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/tobias-oliver-switch-wide-receiver/Zjdkk19XW4GnwSkjOpCVhO/

Not sure i think graham is the answer, but think the coaching staff knows they have to transition offense from Oliver, whether that's for the future scheme awaiting a future qb (in all probability) or graham. i think graham still stands a high chance of injury this year, unfortunately, due his size and our OL, so don't know that we've seen the last of oliver under center (ooops, we don't line them up there anymore!) Now we pick up a sixpack of ACC games plus UGAg and that's not an easy "staying alive" road to navigate. In truth, Oliver was our best chance to win four games, but also agree it's time to move on and build for the future. Give him a chance to build to the next level at WR and hopefuly stay healthy as well! we've got Ugliness on the horizon....on the road all of October and a November to NOT remember!

saturdays in 2019 are for brown liquor, slow women and chloroform..... in 2020, hopefully back to football!

Its funny that just three weeks ago we had “we don’t have starters we only have above the line.”

Later that month “James did really good as the starter.” Words from patanauds mouth.

It seems the beating around the bush was just for the kids.
I'm not sure why so many have struggled with this. Look how many DB's we have ATL. Have all of them played the exact same # of snaps or has Tre Swilling and Tariq Carpenter taken more than most because they're two of the best we have?
Answer: Swilling plays more than others. So does Carpenter. Juanyeh Thomas similarly plays more snaps at safety than most others.

Just because someone is ATL doesn't mean they're going to play the same number of plays. The coach's goals have always been to get as many people 'above the line' and capable of playing in the games as possible so that they can sub players out and keep them fresh. But they'd like to have some separate themselves as the primary players at that position. And the same deal holds at QB. The reason they're using sub packages there was because Oliver was the best runner, they believed Johnson to be the best passer and Graham to be the best athlete of the primary 3 who knew the playbook. They wanted to try and capitalize on each's capabilities until someone separated himself from the others as Graham seems to have done.

5lytn.jpg

I’ll never forget it. Microeconomics. A major part of your grade was giving an answer on a blind call from the professor. First class is our QB. Everyone laughs, professor is confused. Our QB isn’t there to respond. Every class for the rest of the semester our QB’s name gets called but he isn’t there. On the day of the final I have a tough time. Turn in my work and walk up the lecture hall to leave. The only remaining students are a half dozen football players grouped together with our QB in the middle.

Back