Today... The New Jackets

So 3 OL and 7 DL. In addition to the 2 returning Senior OL and hopefully 1 returning Senior DL. The trenches are trending upward.
We need to lock up a PWO kicker who can be automatic for the next four years.
Possibly adding another OL to the class as well.

Is this a consensus among the recruiting elders? I want to believe but need that nod of approval from those in the know. Inclusive of net ransfers.

I don’t really know this gets objectively measured. All I know is last class borderline top 25 and this one is somewhere not far behind. IIRC the last class was top 2 or 3, so I got to imagine this one is a top 5

Is this a consensus among the recruiting elders? I want to believe but need that nod of approval from those in the know. Inclusive of net ransfers.
It is subjective at this level. It may be so inclusive of transfers, but only "since the beginning of the large recruiting services" and I don't know that date.

We've had star ratings longer than 247/Rivals, but those do not seem to count. And I have said before, I think 1975 was our greatest of all time, but it does not count.

It's really hard to know about the transfers, imo. You certainly can't just look at their HS ratings. On the surface, we're losing a 4* qb and a highly recruited 3* qb plus a receiver who tied CJ21's freshman td record. As GT fans we know the full story on those guys and only AB looks like a real loss.

Well, there's a story on all of the incoming guys, too. Watson seems like a good bet but he wasn't getting PT at Texas for whatever reason. Most Texas boards say he should have been playing. Harris was being asked to be a LB at Alabama instead of a DE, but who knows why? Saban's no idiot. Pendley is a kid that the new staff just got in on too late in 2019. Makes a lot of sense for him to come play here now and he played in 6 games at Miss State. Probably starting at Guard for us next year. White at SDE... looks like a good player who has progressed atlot against weaker competition and is ready to join the big boys. We have some good bodies at SDE but this also makes me think Clayton may be done. Which brings up back around to not getting too hyped about transfers. :)

Even without transfers it is probably a top 5 class since the ratings started (2001 I think). But that is not saying a whole lot.

It's really hard to know about the transfers, imo. You certainly can't just look at their HS ratings. On the surface, we're losing a 4* qb and a highly recruited 3* qb plus a receiver who tied CJ21's freshman td record. As GT fans we know the full story on those guys and only AB looks like a real loss.

Well, there's a story on all of the incoming guys, too. Watson seems like a good bet but he wasn't getting PT at Texas for whatever reason. Most Texas boards say he should have been playing. Harris was being asked to be a LB at Alabama instead of a DE, but who knows why? Saban's no idiot. Pendley is a kid that the new staff just got in on too late in 2019. Makes a lot of sense for him to come play here now and he played in 6 games at Miss State. Probably starting at Guard for us next year. White at SDE... looks like a good player who has progressed atlot against weaker competition and is ready to join the big boys. We have some good bodies at SDE but this also makes me think Clayton may be done. Which brings up back around to not getting too hyped about transfers. :)

Even without transfers it is probably a top 5 class since the ratings started (2001 I think). But that is not saying a whole lot.
Yeah transfers are always interesting evaluations. Starters that transfer are usually pretty good acquisitions. Highly rated back ups from power houses are usually caught up in numbers games so they are usually pretty darned good too. I would certainly take any of Alabama's third team over our starters in most cases (this is not an insult by any means, btw). I will take any lineman as well. We need them.

Generally speaking, you are getting transfers because they can make an impact on the team- either by pushing the starter in competition or by earning a starting position. If we needed just bodies, we'd sign freshmen.
That's what hypes me about the transfers- getting better.

Generally speaking, you are getting transfers because they can make an impact on the team- either by pushing the starter in competition or by earning a starting position. If we needed just bodies, we'd sign freshmen.
That's what hypes me about the transfers- getting better.
It's not always that simple though. With transfers out/graduation and flipping a roster that wasn't built for the style of offense we are wanting to play, you have to backfill some classes with transfers also just to get the entire roster in order from top to bottom.

It's not always that simple though. With transfers out/graduation and flipping a roster that wasn't built for the style of offense we are wanting to play, you have to backfill some classes with transfers also just to get the entire roster in order from top to bottom.
Good point!

Back