Top 50 recruits in Georgia

Do you honestly believe if the academic issues didnt exist, then 4 and 5 star kids are willing to play in this system!? Jesus Christ..

But they do exist and aren't going away anytime soon. Sure, if Tech was a factory that could take anyone, we could run what everyone else is.

Do you honestly believe if the academic issues didnt exist, then 4 and 5 star kids are willing to play in this system!? Jesus Christ..

The real problem we have is that being a WR in this system is a guaranteed way to not make the NFL.

Feel good story:
  • Malcolm Mitchell had a 3rd grade reading level when he was admitted to uGA.
  • He passed two years of classes at uGA with a major in Communications with a 3rd grade reading level (which he subsequently raised in news stories to a "junior high" reading level)
  • He tore his ACL and decided to learn to read "at an elite level."
  • Joined an all-female senior citizens book club to force himself to read.
  • Then became a "published author" (FYI - he wrote a children's book then spent "$500 - $1000" to get it to market, which means self-published on Amazon. That doesn't make you an author, getting paid by a publisher makes you an author. I could self-publish this post on Amazon by tomorrow morning if I felt like burning some cash).

Post a link where it says he read at a 3rd grade level.

I coach high school football in the metro area, and my cousin is an up and coming starting QB for a school in Atlanta. These kids do not want to play in the option unless they dont have any other offers.

What do you mean “up and coming starting QB”? He sucks and is trying to get better? Isn’t every high school kid up and coming? Explain your word choice

The first google hit is his Wikipedia page.

Mitchell was not a strong reader when he began college, then reading only at a third grade level, but grew to love reading...

I’m sure you can find plenty of links from there.

A lot of these kids struggle to qualify. I remember in 2011 when Nick Marshall was committed to us and one of our competitors to keeping him was Garden City Community College, the little school in Kansas he visited just one month before Signing Day, since qualifying was so much in doubt. Of course he ended up finding his way to Georgia and then Auburn, but I think would have flourished with us had he stuck to his original plan.
To be competitive, you sometime have to find a tuba player for the band.
Correct, a LOT of these kids fail to qualify for Tech---ugag and Auburn, not so much. As for Marshall, he would have flourished until he flunked out or started stealing from his teammates.

HOOVER, Ala. — Georgia receiver Malcolm Mitchell never read a children’s book until he got to college. In fact, reading anything was a challenge for the former top-100 recruit. usatoday.com

The real problem we have is that being a WR in this system is a guaranteed way to not make the NFL.
No, the real problem is the perception that being a WR in this offense won't get you to the NFL. If I'm not mistaken, almost every #1 receiver in this offense, and one #2, has been drafted since CPJ got here. Not UDFA....drafted. BEY BEY - Rd 1, Stephen Hill - Rd 2, Smelter - Rd 4, Waller(a #2 mind you)-Rd 6. Several others were signed to un-drafted free agent contracts, Kevin Cohn and Ricky Jeune off the top of my head. IIRC, ESPN named GT "Best Wide Receiver Factory for NFL" just last year.

Maybe it would be in our best interest to push facts and reality that help our recruiting efforts instead of perpetuate myths that work in the interest of our competitors.

What do you mean “up and coming starting QB”? He sucks and is trying to get better? Isn’t every high school kid up and coming? Explain your word choice

Why are you so bitter?
He is a rising junior & this will be his first year starting. He has aspirations of playing for Clemson.

I asked him about Tech & he said no, because he doesn’t like the offense.

Why are you so bitter?
He is a rising junior & this will be his first year starting. He has aspirations of playing for Clemson.

Ok and then we get Justin Thomas and James Graham precisely because of the offense...or a guy like Jordan Yates who is a polished thrower but a couple inches too short to get that 4th star and factory offers. Not like 4 and 5 star QBs were ever busting down the doors to come here. We managed to hit on a couple of good ones but its always been tough otherwise.

Also, lets presume that this kid you are talking about ends up being good enough to get that Clemson offer. Lets even assume he's got the academics necessary to succeed at Tech. Would us running a different offense realustically change his mind?

Last edited:
Why are you so bitter?

Bitter? Dude I’m just asking? JT5 came here because of this offense. James Graham spurned VT because they wanted him to play defense and this offense gives him a chance to stay at QB. Your cousin probably sucks dude and wouldn’t be offered to run this offense, get over it.

I am not a cpj loyalist or a defender of the option offense; I personally don’t care for the style. I just want tech to win.

HOOVER, Ala. — Georgia receiver Malcolm Mitchell never read a children’s book until he got to college. In fact, reading anything was a challenge for the former top-100 recruit. usatoday.com

Just said he never read a children's book. It still doesn't confirmed the 3rd grade comment. I'm just saying that it you are going to make such a statement, then back it up.

The first google hit is his Wikipedia page.

I’m sure you can find plenty of links from there.

Nope, nothing that verifies the 3rd grad comment. If you are going make such a statement, you should be able to back it up. I agree his reading level was low, but I doubt it was at a 3rd grade level.

Nope, nothing that verifies the 3rd grad comment. If you are going make such a statement, you should be able to back it up. I agree his reading level was low, but I doubt it was at a 3rd grade level.

Well then I guess you know more about him than the news reports. What are your thoughts about the UNC research showing that 8-10% of UNC football and basketball athletes are at or below a 3rd grade reading level and another 60% are below a 6th grade reading level?

Just said he never read a children's book. It still doesn't confirmed the 3rd grade comment. I'm just saying that it you are going to make such a statement, then back it up.
At what grade level can almost all kids read children's books ? What difference does it make whether he could read at a 3rd or 7th grade level---he still got a scholarship to play for ugag and CMR damned well knew he was illiterate as far as college work is concerned. Btw, there are studies available that are even more depressing than gtphd's UNC research.
I agree that 3rd grade level "sounds" like an exaggeration, but so did Jan Kemp's story at ugag until the facts came out.

Your writing is not far from 3rd grade level.

It's hairsplitting. Let's say his reading comprehension was at a 6th grade level. What business did he have at our state's alleged "flagship" school?

Back