Top Colleges: Georgia Tech

Not a surprise, considering that most of the starting salaries for positions that I'm applying for are around $60-70K.

I think the article is a little off with its statement:

Among many folks who fixate on big-name northeastern liberal-arts schools, the Georgia Institute of Technology (a.k.a. Georgia Tech) flies under the reputational radar.
When I was interviewing for CS jobs in the northeast they all knew about Georgia Tech and were very complimentary. Georgia Tech has a very good reputation outside of Georgia.

How do guys live in their 30's at only 102k??? Eating a lot of ramen, i guess.

How do guys live in their 30's at only 102k??? Eating a lot of ramen, i guess.

tumblr_m8ljbuVVcO1ro9s10.jpg

sad but after the housing debacle living on only 102k would be impossible for me

I suspect you have a much different definition of impossible than 99% of this country, and I don't even Occupy anything.

Since this is in the wrong forum, I'll go ahead and point out that GT grads can spend a whole lot more on football than their Ivy League counterparts.

sad but after the housing debacle living on only 102k would be impossible for me

I suspect you have a much different definition of impossible than 99% of this country, and I don't even Occupy anything.

Well you know, paying that 2nd mortgage on the house your upside down on, as well as your BMW lease can eat into your monthly take-home really quickly... :rolleyes:

My wife and my combined salaries are under 150, and that's with me consulting, teaching, and her with a furloughed job. We have a 1 year old kid and a sailboat. If you're single and making 100k, you should have quite a bit of spare cheese to throw around.

Moral of the story: don't be a civil engineer.

My wife and my combined salaries are under 150, and that's with me consulting, teaching, and her with a furloughed job. We have a 1 year old kid and a sailboat. If you're single and making 100k, you should have quite a bit of spare cheese to throw around.

Moral of the story: don't be a civil engineer.

my wife and i combied are about the same.. except she doesnt work cause we just had a kid and she has 150k in student debt cause vet school is expensive (over 1000/month for 30 years)... throw that in with a high tax bracket, an underwater mortgage and a regular mortgage and your looking at scraping by in my paid off prius

my wife and i combied are about the same.. except she doesnt work cause we just had a kid and she has 150k in student debt cause vet school is expensive (over 1000/month for 30 years)... throw that in with a high tax bracket, an underwater mortgage and a regular mortgage and your looking at scraping by in my paid off prius

Is she going back to work?

Sounds like you should walk away from the house and possibly your debt-ridden wife.

:wink:

just alot of debt

Best thing I ever did was get rid of our debt the first year of marriage. Now i have a decent paying job with a small job on the side writing articles with a kid on the way and we don't worry about money.

There's certainly times where finances are tight but having no debt other than a mortgage will really relieve a whole lot of stress in life.

The lesson is you guys made some bad choices, and the correct choice is to get her to work sometime soon, even if just to recoup the debt she collected.

Back