Top Colleges: Georgia Tech

The lesson is you guys made some bad choices, and the correct choice is to get her to work sometime soon, even if just to recoup the debt she collected.

going to vet school is definetly not recommended

they all seemed like good decisions at the time... who knows.. its not over yet

my wife and i combied are about the same.. except she doesnt work cause we just had a kid and she has 150k in student debt cause vet school is expensive (over 1000/month for 30 years)... throw that in with a high tax bracket, an underwater mortgage and a regular mortgage and your looking at scraping by in my paid off prius

Sounds like the 150k in vet school wasn't a great investment if she's not going to work.

My wife and I are both effectively semi furloughed so we can keep our kid only marginally in day care. She works four days and keeps him on Friday, I take Thursdays off to watch him, and then work nights/weekends because I'm working for myself.

We thankfully bought a much smaller house than we were approve for, so the bath we took on our mortgage wasn't nearly as bad as many. We took a loss, but the net loss we took was less than what we would have been paying in rent all this time, so I consider it an overall break even / gain.

Why does your wife need a veterinary medicine degree to wash dishes?

Why does your wife need a veterinary medicine degree to wash dishes?

she practiced for awhile but she is currently recovering from surgery and wants to raise the little one for a couple years..

she practiced for awhile but she is currently recovering from surgery and wants to raise the little one for a couple years..

Speaking of practice, who's working with the first team offense this week - Tevin or Vad?

So what is Tech's ranking when you factor in the 5 years to graduation?

If you do that you should also factor in our excellent co-op and internship rates as well. They're a major factor in the five year figure and they actually can pay quite well ($40k-$50k/year range).

If you do that you should also factor in our excellent co-op and internship rates as well. They're a major factor in the five year figure and they actually can pay quite well ($40k-$50k/year range).

I was a sophomore making $20/hour. That was the first and only time in my life that I had more money than I knew what to do with.

I think the article is a little off with its statement:

When I was interviewing for CS jobs in the northeast they all knew about Georgia Tech and were very complimentary. Georgia Tech has a very good reputation outside of Georgia.

I concur about the good reputation in the Northeast... In Boston, when I mention I went to Undergrad, dozens have replied with "Nice...that's a reeeaally good school.. heard It was tough as hell.."

Even guys from MIT that I know have stated the same respect.

I fail to see how this tread is relevant to football.
Tech fans make bank, buy tickets then since the price of the tickets are pocket change in our fan's eyes they can afford to not to show up to some games. hence why we always have empty seats:wink:

My wife and my combined salaries are under 150, and that's with me consulting, teaching, and her with a furloughed job. We have a 1 year old kid and a sailboat. If you're single and making 100k, you should have quite a bit of spare cheese to throw around.

Moral of the story: don't be a civil engineer.

Or you can ---- sure buy at least 4 season tickets without excuse

Hmm, some of the comments mentioned that Ivy League schools aren't really useful for connections anymore, now that people have facebook and linked-in. Not sure how much those websites help with connections, but my cousin who goes to Dartmouth says the same thing as well.

Tech fans make bank, buy tickets then since the price of the tickets are pocket change in our fan's eyes they can afford to not to show up to some games. hence why we always have empty seats:wink:

i guess if they were actually buying those tickets that would be an acceptable theory.

Hmm, some of the comments mentioned that Ivy League schools aren't really useful for connections anymore, now that people have facebook and linked-in. Not sure how much those websites help with connections, but my cousin who goes to Dartmouth says the same thing as well.

Meh. I find that really hard to believe. LinkedIn isn't going to make someone who went to Kennesaw State suddenly start competing with someone from Stanford. And people will always value physical connections more than others.

Meh. I find that really hard to believe. LinkedIn isn't going to make someone who went to Kennesaw State suddenly start competing with someone from Stanford. And people will always value physical connections more than others.

maybe not compete but if can help you get your name on a desk or in someones mind.
i have people all the time request to be my contact on there and the only thing i can see we have in common is Valdosta State. Sometimes they are kids who might be trying to use me for contacts or sometimes they might be someone more advanced in their careers who I could use. Point being- having them as a go-to beats applying to a job cold. You may not be as qualified and may not beat someone out from Stanford but it certainly doesn't hurt trying to elbow your way in.

Back