Top Colleges: Georgia Tech

My wife and my combined salaries are under 150, and that's with me consulting, teaching, and her with a furloughed job. We have a 1 year old kid and a sailboat. If you're single and making 100k, you should have quite a bit of spare cheese to throw around.

Moral of the story: don't be a civil engineer. In the States

FTFY, gotta go where the demand is.

Hmm, some of the comments mentioned that Ivy League schools aren't really useful for connections anymore, now that people have facebook and linked-in. Not sure how much those websites help with connections, but my cousin who goes to Dartmouth says the same thing as well.

If you go to Harvard / Stanford / Princeton / Yale and major in Art History, you'll have offers coming out of college from investment banks, consulting firms, hedge funds, etc. making $100,000 per year. You can't do that anywhere else. It isn't "networking" as much as it is "branding".

If you go to Harvard / Stanford / Princeton / Yale and major in Art History, you'll have offers coming out of college from investment banks, consulting firms, hedge funds, etc. making $100,000 per year. You can't do that anywhere else. It isn't "networking" as much as it is "branding".

You can throw MIT into that mix, my uncle studied architecture and has only done programming since graduating.

I think it was last year but Smart Money magazine picked GT as their number 1 school. They used the ratio of what grads made vs cost to attend. The Ivy League schools made a D (or F). This article says pretty much the same about GT.

I get job interviews up here in the Northeast solely because my resume says Georgia Tech.

Protip: While people up here know about Tech, they have no Earthly idea what the Georgia Institute of Technology is. Don't put that on your resume.

I get job interviews up here in the Northeast solely because my resume says Georgia Tech.

Protip: While people up here know about Tech, they have no Earthly idea what the Georgia Institute of Technology is. Don't put that on your resume.

Unless you're being interviewed by a Tech grad. Then, you may be looked at with derision for not having the name correct.

I think your best bet is to say your degree is from the Georgia Institute of Technology and then list activities related to Georgia Tech, such as the Georgia Tech Alumni Association, etc.

Unless you're being interviewed by a Tech grad. Then, you may be looked at with derision for not having the name correct.

I think your best bet is to say your degree is from the Georgia Institute of Technology and then list activities related to Georgia Tech, such as the Georgia Tech Alumni Association, etc.

Ding, ding, ding. Speaking of dings, I got dinged for exactly that (using Georgia Tech in the Education section of my resume) when I was interviewing for finance jobs in NY.

Use the proper name in the Education section but the common name in the Activities section. I wouldn't worry about someone not knowing that The Georgia Institute of Technology = GT; if they are that dumb you don't want that job anyway.

I know one guy from Dartmouth. His parents thought he was retarded when he was little.

He recently bought a house on Lake Oconee for 1.2 mil.......cash.

He says without the name on his diploma, he'd still be retarded.

Back