TSTAN is a deadbeat

I've never really understood what Todd was doing on this.
  • Todd was making $500k at OR St. When he quit early he owed them $2.1 mil.
  • Todd was paid $900k at GT, and that went up every year, so this year it was $937,500.
  • Todd received a loan of $1.1 mil from GT when he arrived, that would be forgiven after 5 years.
  • Since he came to Tech (2016), Todd had paid OR St a total of $1 mil on his debt. That left $1.1 mil in principal and another $400k in interest at 9%.
Not to be rude but it looks like Todd gave OR St most of the $1.1 mil he got from Tech, but didn't pay them anything from his salary – which was double what OR St was paying him.

I realize Atlanta is probably more expensive than Beaverton, but still... his income doubled but he didn't put any of his paycheck towards the debt, over a span of three years. I'm not privy to Todd's personal financial circumstances, so perhaps there are other expenses that in his mind were more pressing.

Effectively the deal with the GTAA is just forcing Todd to do what he should've done to begin with – redirecting a substantial portion of his suddenly much-larger salary to paying off the debt that made the larger salary possible.

It's not a great look. I sure hope he wasn't simply trying to stiff OR St on the money he agreed to pay them.

• Todd was paid $900k at GT, and that went up every year, so this year it was $937,500.
  • Todd received a loan of $1.1 mil from GT when he arrived, that would be forgiven after 5 years.
  • Since he came to Tech (2016), Todd had paid OR St a total of $1 mil on his debt. That left $1.1 mil in principal and another $400k in interest at 9%.
Not to be rude but it looks like Todd gave OR St most of the $1.1 mil he got from Tech, but didn't pay them anything from his salary – which was double what OR St was paying him.

I realize Atlanta is probably more expensive than Beaverton, but still... his income doubled but he didn't put any of his paycheck towards the debt, over a span of three years. I'm not privy to Todd's personal financial circumstances, so perhaps there are other expenses that in his mind were more pressing.

Effectively the deal with the GTAA is just forcing Todd to do what he should've done to begin with – redirecting a substantial portion of his suddenly much-larger salary to paying off the debt that made the larger salary possible.

It's not a great look. I sure hope he wasn't simply trying to stiff OR St on the money he agreed to pay them.

According to best places "Atlanta is 13.4% less expensive than Beaverton."

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/beaverton_or/atlanta_ga/costofliving

As I said, we don’t know all of the details of his contract with OSU so it is really kinda silly to speculate or question his character. But don’t let that stop you.

Oregon State is not in Beaverton. Would be a lot cooler if it was.

As I said, we don’t know all of the details of his contract with OSU so it is really kinda silly to speculate or question his character. But don’t let that stop you.

Have you seen the title of this thread?

Yeah, having people speculate about your character is kinda the risk you take when (in your words) you gamble that your creditor won't come after you for payment.

If you've got a legitimate defense to paying a debt, you don't immediately pay it (in full no less) once you get sued. You raise the defense. Seems clear to me that these defenses (whatever they were) were not viable. And if you already know that... then it's strange you push your creditor to the point of taking their complaint public with a lawsuit.

As I said, I can imagine other factors that might have explained why the GTAA had to step in to force Todd to do this, instead of him doing it on his own over the past three years ago. But based on the public data, it's not a flattering look for him.

I do, though, give him the benefit of the doubt, and I do continue to support his tenure here.

Last edited:
Oregon State is not in Beaverton. Would be a lot cooler if it was.
My bad! I obviously do not know much about Oregon. I was once in Portland for a wedding. Drove through the Dalles, got sick at Crater Lake, saw Haystack Rock in the mist, etc. But that was a long long time ago.

Yeah, having people speculate about your character is kinda the risk you take when (in your words) you gamble that your creditor won't come after you for payment.

If you've got a legitimate defense to paying a debt, you don't immediately pay it (in full no less) once you get sued. You raise the defense. Seems clear to me that these defenses (whatever they were) were not viable. And if you already know that... then it's strange you push your creditor to the point of taking their complaint public with a lawsuit.

As I said, I can imagine other factors that might have explained why the GTAA had to step in to force Todd to do this, instead of him doing it on his own over the past three years ago. But based on the public data, it's not a flattering look for him.

I do, though, give him the benefit of the doubt, and I do continue to support his tenure here.

Do you have information about the situation that the general public does not have?

And Corvallis is a great college town. I was there a week a month for a year or two about 5 years ago. Learned early to schedule trips around home football game weekends.

t happ

Maybe he was relying exclusively on his legal advice. And then that advice proved to be faulty. It happens.

ATL strippers can get expensive.

Back