Tucker Gleason Leaving

Just the way it is now. Tucker was our first commit and when we got Sims on signing day, the competition was probably going to decide who stayed and who transferred. Sucks that he didn't get a real preseason and we never got to see what he can do. I am high on Peery, though. I do hope Yates stays as the backup who knows the offense.

Tuck's HS coach is the QB coach at Toledo now, so it would make a lot of sense for him to go there.

Ugh! What a miserable place Toledo is.

Do any college football players choose a college for its degree and potential for long-term success anymore? Last I checked Georgia Tech had the highest starting income of any college in America other than the private schools where grads went to work for their rich fathers or their father’s friends. I hate to say it, and maybe I’m wrong, but this kid has almost zero chance of Cashing paychecks in the NFL if he cannot earn any position on our roster right now. Oh well. I wish him the best.

They all believe they’re good enough to play in the NFL.

Do any college football players choose a college for its degree and potential for long-term success anymore? Or do all college football players now think they are going to be the 1 out of 1000 that make a living playing on Sundays?

Last I checked Georgia Tech had the highest starting income of any college in America other than the private schools where grads went to work for their rich fathers or their father’s friends.

It’s not like he was competing for playing time against a bunch of five star recruits from classes that finished in the top five for the past four years. If you are a player on our current roster and you cannot get on the field competing against our guys right now you have to have almost zero chance of ever cashing checks playing on Sundays. Oh well. I wish him the best. But I think it’s a mistake to give up the GT degree.
You're thinking like a 40 year old who has observed a few life cycles from various people and has grown wise. You have to think like a 19/20 year old kid who has played football his whole life and is used to playing and dominating. This is probably their first ever "wait your turn and sit" experience and it can be pretty shocking and frustrating. Right now all these kids are focused upon is football. It's truly their livelihood as it is the source of their college tuition and the coaches make it the kids full time job. It is exceptionally hard to be both a D1 college football player *and* a big time student. Just to empathize with these kids, can you imagine the unbelievable hours of work they have to put in each week, even during the offseason, just to have some crazy good 4-star recruit come into your position just as it is coming up for your turn? Or looking at it from Gleason's perspective, he may feel he will never get a shot with the coaches all-in on Sims, good or bad as that may be. The coaches are clearly letting Sims get through his growing pains so he is the future and Gleason is left out. I bet he would still be here if he werent also behind Yates who is definitely a drop-off when he's been in there. I've seen Gleason in person and I know he has to have a better arm than Yates so I'm sure that is probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

You're thinking like a 40 year old who has observed a few life cycles from various people and has grown wise. You have to think like a 19/20 year old kid who has played football his whole life and is used to playing and dominating. This is probably their first ever "wait your turn and sit" experience and it can be pretty shocking and frustrating. Right now all these kids are focused upon is football. It's truly their livelihood as it is the source of their college tuition and the coaches make it the kids full time job. It is exceptionally hard to be both a D1 college football player *and* a big time student. Just to empathize with these kids, can you imagine the unbelievable hours of work they have to put in each week, even during the offseason, just to have some crazy good 4-star recruit come into your position just as it is coming up for your turn? Or looking at it from Gleason's perspective, he may feel he will never get a shot with the coaches all-in on Sims, good or bad as that may be. The coaches are clearly letting Sims get through his growing pains so he is the future and Gleason is left out. I bet he would still be here if he werent also behind Yates who is definitely a drop-off when he's been in there. I've seen Gleason in person and I know he has to have a better arm than Yates so I'm sure that is probably the straw that broke the camel's back.
This is a great book. Every athlete or competitor in anything should read this:
Amazon product ASIN 1328745724
Steve Young was at one time sixth on the depth chart at BYU. He did not dress for even home games as a freshman. And he always put academics first before football.

Do any high school football players choose a college for its degree and potential for long-term success anymore? Or do they all think they are going to be the 1 out of 1000 that make a living playing on Sundays?

Last I checked Georgia Tech has the highest starting income of any college in America other than the private schools where grads went to work for their rich fathers or their father’s friends.

If you are a player on our team you are not competing for playing time against a bunch of five star recruits from classes that finished in the top five for the past four years. If you cannot get on the field competing against our players right now you have to have almost zero chance of ever cashing checks playing on Sundays. Oh well. I wish him the best. But I think it’s a mistake to give up the GT degree.
How do you think starting career salaries of a GT football player compare to that of a regular GT student? They aren’t one in the same

Do any high school football players choose a college for its degree and potential for long-term success anymore? Or do they all think they are going to be the 1 out of 1000 that make a living playing on Sundays?

Last I checked Georgia Tech has the highest starting income of any college in America other than the private schools where grads went to work for their rich fathers or their father’s friends.

If you are a player on our team you are not competing for playing time against a bunch of five star recruits from classes that finished in the top five for the past four years. If you cannot get on the field competing against our players right now you have to have almost zero chance of ever cashing checks playing on Sundays. Oh well. I wish him the best. But I think it’s a mistake to give up the GT degree.
Tariq Carpenter is staying because of the institute.

How do you think starting career salaries of a GT football player compare to that of a regular GT student? They aren’t one in the same
That's not the relevant comparison. It's better to compare the career salaries of GT players against the salaries of other schools' players.

I bet GT players' salaries are much higher.

Big Tucker Gleason fan here. Totally bummed but this is modern CFB, especially at the QB position. For example, Clemson/Duke QB Chase Brice is now in the portal again, three years in a row. I can never fault kids for doing whats best for them.

Hilarious that Brice is transferring out of a program who’s last QB is playing on Sundays.

I think I'd just stick around and take the free Duke degree myself.

What an idiot. There is no free degree at Duke or G ...... T

Players are like gladiators. Killing themselves for your sick amusement.

Would’ve liked to at least seen him throw a ball... weird situation. The ability disparity between him and sims isn’t as big as some people think.

Throwing the ball is only a portion of what QBs are responsible for. If Gleason has a better arm than Yates, but Yates was put in first for Sims...then what can we deduce? That Gleason didn't have the talent in between the ears to beat out someone with a lesser arm. It's really not that hard. Do we really think that the staff would be more partial to Yates than Gleason? There's no reason to be and I think they were impartial judges of skill.

Good luck, Tuck. You'll face competition wherever you go.

Throwing the ball is only a portion of what QBs are responsible for. If Gleason has a better arm than Yates, but Yates was put in first for Sims...then what can we deduce? That Gleason didn't have the talent in between the ears to beat out someone with a lesser arm. It's really not that hard. Do we really think that the staff would be more partial to Yates than Gleason? There's no reason to be and I think they were impartial judges of skill.

Good luck, Tuck. You'll face competition wherever you go.
I think this staff is very partial, extremely.. especially this year. Seeing curry start at MLB every game is testament to that

I think this staff is very partial, extremely.. especially this year. Seeing curry start at MLB every game is testament to that

Curry isn't devoid of talent and probably knows the plays and calls extremely well. He just misses making the big play at times, but he was rarely out of position from an alignment/scheme perspective.

You can't have guys out there who don't know the plays. Goes for offense and defense.

My take is that Tuck didn't know the plays, didn't know the protections, couldn't read a defense--things like that in comparison to Yates. The alternative is off the field issues that nobody knows about.

I think it's a huge testament to Yates that he's the 2nd guy up. We need someone willing to put it all on the line to push Simsarticularly in the non-throwing aspects of the game.

Curry isn't devoid of talent and probably knows the plays and calls extremely well. He just misses making the big play at times, but he was rarely out of position from an alignment/scheme perspective.

You can't have guys out there who don't know the plays. Goes for offense and defense.

My take is that Tuck didn't know the plays, didn't know the protections, couldn't read a defense--things like that in comparison to Yates. The alternative is off the field issues that nobody knows about.

I think it's a huge testament to Yates that he's the 2nd guy up. We need someone willing to put it all on the line to push Simsarticularly in the non-throwing aspects of the game.
It could be Gleason wasn't seen as quick enough to make plays with his feet. Sims has the ability to scramble for big yards and TD's. If Gleason is a pure pocket passer, our OL would have gotten him kilt. Plus, we run RPO and some shotgun option. May have just not had the wheels for it.

Back