UCF - what to expect?

gtloyal

Looking to the future
UCF game preview from Orlando Sentinel
Matchup preview / odds from Covers.com

Of the 10 players from UCF that opted out, how many were significant players in their 2-deep? It said that there were 2 defensive starters in that group. In addition, they have an injured TE.

Admittedly, I didn't see UCF play last year. From what I've read, it sounds like their offense is their strength. They have a 2nd year starting QB that is poised for an even better year. They play with tempo, and are very multiple. That sounds like a good test for our defensive coaching staff. I like that we've shown the willingness and ability to shuffle in players to keep them fresh, without having a drop-off in production. I like our defensive game plans and our ability to adjust to what the opponent is trying to do offensively. Can we generate the same pass rush as we did against a hobbled FSU OL? If we can perform well on defense, we will have a chance to stay in this game. I'm expecting continued absence from Clayton, Tre Swilling, and Chimezda. Those guys are all difference makers, but the rest of the team stepped up against FSU.

What I have no sense of is the UCF defense against our unproven offense. Will our OL continue to pass block as well as they showed against FSU? Will the offense be able to be efficient in the run game? Will this be the introduction of Jahmyr Gibbs?

At least GT’s defense gets to practice against offensive schemes they’ll see every week. With better coaching, better talent, and more familiarity with schemes I think GT’s defense is much better now.

It will be interesting to see if UCF's S&C did their jobs during the off periods and interesting to see if the speed of the game catches then off guard.

Run up to the line, snap it, run up to the line, snap it, run up to the line, snap it, run up to the line, snap it, run up to the li-- you get the picture.

Their OL last year is soft compared to what it had been pre-2019. Even in their national championship season, their OL was soft.
Their Defense is also generally soft. Think us in CPJs last year. Their D has problems generating pass rush without blitzes, and it doesn't help that Randy Shannon runs a basic defense without too many blitzes. Seriously, think Ted Roof. They also are very prone to giving up big plays.
You can also clearly see that they get tired when UCF can't produce on offense.
They will have good skilled positions guys and some speed, but nothing that we don't have or have more of.
UCF no longer has a true OC, they have Heupel and a couple different Co-OCs. Gonna be interesting in what they decide to run and how much they've been able to practice the new system. They lost their true OC in December last year.
I expect our guys to be conditioned athletes vs. their guys who have yet to play in a game.

3 Keys to the game:
-Physicality, starts up front for us and I like what I've seen so far
-Sound play, eliminate mistakes--we can't afford to beat ourselves this week
-Extended drives on offense, get stops on defense

Sounds simple, right? If we see these things in the first quarter- which is the expectation- we will win and win big.

38-24 Tech

I think our DL performed well last week, but FSU's OL wasn't their strength and got banged up quite badly during the game. It remains to be seen what we can do against better protection, and particularly against better rushing, which our good secondary can't do much against.

But our OL quietly had an amazing game, giving up just 1 sack against what was supposed to be a star-studded DL with a future high draft choice anchoring in the middle. Our tailbacks picked up blitzes very well. Moreover, everyone on OL emerged healthy. I think we can expect more of the same this week and Sims will have a bountiful pocket within which to work. The game will come down to whether picks and penalties put our O off the field before UCF gets gassed.

I'll be curious to know how much UCF defense will benefit from being able to watch the film of last week's game. Certainly, FSU had no film of the offense to study.

I would expect our offense to be a least a little less productive as a result.

I think by sheer tempo and snaps they will likely score some points. I think we can score points too if we do not make drive- killing mistakes. Have to cut the penalties and turnovers and convert our chances.

Too bad for UCF they spent all winter studying film of our offense from last year. This past week thankfully didn’t look much like it and I doubt it will again.

Lost their OC? That sounds like kind of a big deal

Heupel was the playcaller last year (he's not good at it)- it's unclear if he was the creator of the new offense.
So it might not be as big of a deal, or it could be a huge one (your mother's style). Just depends on what they instituted during a global pandemic and lack of practices.

I expect the game to look a lot different than a game between us would typically look. They're going to be sloppy as hell in their first game, we're still going to have some slop, but not as much as last week. I expect their tempo to confuse the crap out of us and force us to be less varied on defense. We'll adjust as the game goes on and, if our offense sustains drives, we'll be able to bottle them up. The question is how many points they jump out with and if we keep up with the initial burst. I predict UCF 21-10 at the half, UCF 27-24 in the end.

I expect the game to look a lot different than a game between us would typically look. They're going to be sloppy as hell in their first game, we're still going to have some slop, but not as much as last week. I expect their tempo to confuse the crap out of us and force us to be less varied on defense. We'll adjust as the game goes on and, if our offense sustains drives, we'll be able to bottle them up. The question is how many points they jump out with and if we keep up with the initial burst. I predict UCF 21-10 at the half, UCF 27-24 in the end.

I don't expect their tempo to mess with us. We have plenty of coaches that have both coached for and against "Fastball" teams.
Because it's the first game, that tempo could very well hurt them too.

I don't expect their tempo to mess with us. We have plenty of coaches that have both coached for and against "Fastball" teams.
We're a good team, they're better, but it's not our first game and we have a better defense, so we have a pretty good chance.

I'll be curious to know how much UCF defense will benefit from being able to watch the film of last week's game. Certainly, FSU had no film of the offense to study.

I would expect our offense to be a least a little less productive as a result.
I have the same concern. But for reasons for which I can cite no evidence, I think the game will progress much like F$U but on a larger scale. I think UCF is going to hang serious points before we figure out how to slow them down and hang some back.

There is a confidence on this team that is inspiring. Not sure if anybody watched the team formerly known as the Redskins play the Eagles last Sunday. The Eagles got out to a 17-0 lead like they were playing against a bad high school team. Then, the Washington defense turned into a brick wall and sacked Wentz 8 times and picked him off twice. Then reeled off 24 straight to win. This is how I see our game against UCF going. Except I think UCF will continue to score throughout.

In my estimation, we need 27 to win.

The tempo stuff screws with the defensive player rotation our Coach likes... keeps our same guys on the field. Also screws with the guys in the booth helping DC on field.

Heupel was the playcaller last year (he's not good at it)- it's unclear if he was the creator of the new offense.
So it might not be as big of a deal, or it could be a huge one (your mother's style). Just depends on what they instituted during a global pandemic and lack of practices.

Not sure where you come up with your info. The UCF offense has not changed at all. Heupel is the offensive play caller, and the defacto offensive coordinator. The offense is a cross of the Mike Leach and Art Briles offenses. Josh was the OC at OU, then Missouri prior to being head coach at UCF.
They did loose their QB coach / OC Jeff Lebby. He came with Josh from Missouri where he was QB coach. And was listed as the offensive coordinator at UCF, but it’s was not his offense, and he did not call plays.
Now their new tight ends coach, and their old RB now QB coach are co offensive coordinators. Josh is still calling plays it’s still his offense always has been.

Not sure where you come up with your info. The UCF offense has not changed at all. Heupel is the offensive play caller, and the defacto offensive coordinator. The offense is a cross of the Mike Leach and Art Briles offenses. Josh was the OC at OU, then Missouri prior to being head coach at UCF.
They did loose their QB coach / OC Jeff Lebby. He came with Josh from Missouri where he was QB coach. And was listed as the offensive coordinator at UCF, but it’s was not his offense, and he did not call plays.
Now their new tight ends coach, and their old RB now QB coach are co offensive coordinators. Josh is still calling plays it’s still his offense always has been.

That's a long winded way of saying almost exactly what I said.

Back