UGA Does not get Kirby Smart

I am shocked that he did not remain true to the school which gave him an education and the chance to play football there.

I really don't care as far as UGA and their fans are concerned, but I hope one of our Tech players would not turn us down in this manner. I believe in loyalty above money.

Father Time
If you believe in loyalty above money, then you should applaud Kirby's decision to stay loyal to Nick Saban--the man who has mentored him throughout his coaching career-- above taking the huge bump in pay in a lateral, at best, career move.

I wouldn't mind us considering DeRuyter if AG does not work out, at least based on results that I have heard about from him as DC at AFA.

Deruyter's name has been linked to U(sic)GA's DC search, more so than it has been for Tech.

The AJC blog comments are pretty funny. Dawg fans now are saying "we didn't want him anyway" and "we didnt actually offer him", stuff like that. Cant help but laugh.

it would have been a big mistake for him to leave bama. He will get a hc opportunity within a couple of years.

At ugag too many variables to guarantee success. Having to play us every year is not something DC's are enjoying.

I am shocked that he did not remain true to the school which gave him an education and the chance to play football there.

I really don't care as far as UGA and their fans are concerned, but I hope one of our Tech players would not turn us down in this manner. I believe in loyalty above money.

Father Time

I hope our Tech players are smart enough not to make a downwards job movement. They don't owe us anything for giving them "the chance" to play football here...if anything, we owe them for deciding to play football here.

Ish: I bet it wasn't a huge bump in pay at all.

Smart received a significant bump in salary to stay at Alabama, sources have said, and he told players today he was staying about considering his alma mater's lucrative offer over the weekend.

I know bj, but "they" ain't CMR. Long shot for sure though. We would survive either way.

Father Time

He's been with Saban longer than he was a georgia. I think his loyalty is in fact not in question. Plus, I think he turned down more money at his alma mater to stay at 'Bama.

He's been with Saban longer than he was a georgia. I think his loyalty is in fact not in question. Plus, I think he turned down more money at his alma mater to stay at 'Bama.

The report by ESPN said Bama would "do everything necessary to keep him." I would be shocked if Kirby stayed without having his contract sweetened to make it more comparable to U(sic)GA's offer.

Father Time
Neither loyalty nor money swayed him. Ugay reportedly offered him $700,000 yr for 3 year contract. Said to have been making $450,000 yr at Bama.:p

Neither loyalty nor money swayed him. Ugay reportedly offered him $700,000 yr for 3 year contract. Said to have been making $450,000 yr at Bama.:p

He got a big bump to stay at Bama. Easy to see this one coming from a mile away.

Bet Carpet Country in Dalton wishes that Richt's advertisements would show similiar profit growths the way he has for all the DC he has gone after....Only to yeild them HUGE salary increases..."SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

The report by ESPN said Bama would "do everything necessary to keep him."

I could be persuaded it was about money, but my first instinct, knowing Saban/Bama is that it was the price of his first son's life, or blackmail. See Nick Saban, Making Deals with the Devil, p. 38 (Random House, 2009).

j/k

To the poster hoping a GT player would not do the same thing, it has already happened, in the last 5 years. Edsall stayed at UConn when we were looking for a coach after Gailey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the poster hoping a GT player would not do the same thing, it has already happened, in the last 5 years. Edsall stayed at UConn when we were looking for a coach after Gailey.

Randy Edsall played at Syracuse and was only a DC for us. When we came looking for a HC he was interviewed but many speculate as to whether he was offered the job and based on the information/timeline the AJC reported after the hire of PJ, he never was. Besides, when we talked to Edsall, he wasn't the 3rd guy to turn us down after almost 2 months of looking. We talked to him within the first week of looking.

I was about to say something similar to that. Georgia Southern was a little disappointed that Giff Smith didn't go back to GSU, but not that much. The fact that Giff Smith is highly successful says good things about GSU as it is. I'd say the same for any of Tech's former players/coaches.

How could UGA possible get Smart. I hope all of you see the reality that this could NEVER happen.

UGA and Smart just dont mix

Back