UNC should lose its accreditation

My guess is he works or has worked at McKinsey. With that said, McKinsey >>> Deloitte. It's not even close.

No, I don't have a problem with that. I absolutely recognize that McKinsey is on another level. I just think it's a pretty dick move to bash a company that someone is presumably excited about having an opportunity to work for.

Naming a company that would have hired her with her GT BS as proof that her MS is worth something is a poor example.

Fair enough. Sorry for the hasty overreaction.

No, I don't have a problem with that. I absolutely recognize that McKinsey is on another level. I just think it's a pretty dick move to bash a company that someone is presumably excited about having an opportunity to work for.
well he is an ass :biggthumpup:

well he is an ass :biggthumpup:

True, apologies. I'm sure Deloitte is an exciting place to work.

That said, a Tech BS is an amazing degree and there's are only few jobs that would require a further degree. McKinsey, Bain, BCG are a few. Hedge funds, Bridgewater, PE like Bain Capital, VCs, etc. also add in academic positions and jobs that require a higher degree (e.g. Physician, lawyer, etc)

Deloitte are a bunch of douchebags who charge their clients millions of dollars to spout meaningless buzzwords at them with occasional kernels of truth that their clients already know, or at least should know.

But I don't knock the hustle. If you can convince a large company full of idiot upper management to pay you a million dollars to sit through a bunch of meaningless powerpoint presentations about "rightsizing" or whatever, and then walk away with no actual responsibility for any sort of verifiable result, more power to you. You'll help to drag that company down into bankruptcy faster so companies with their heads out of their asses can grab more market share.

True, apologies. I'm sure Deloitte is an exciting place to work.

That said, a Tech BS is an amazing degree and there's are only few jobs that would require a further degree. McKinsey, Bain, BCG are a few. Hedge funds, Bridgewater, PE like Bain Capital, VCs, etc. also add in academic positions and jobs that require a higher degree (e.g. Physician, lawyer, etc)

Mmm, maybe Accenture?

All consulting companies are a bunch of douchebags who charge their clients millions of dollars to spout meaningless buzzwords at them with occasional kernels of truth that their clients already know, or at least should know.

Fixed. A previous company I was at hired Bain and it was a joke. Bunch of recent grads who knew nothing about business except for corporatespeak like leveraging best practices to move the needle. Can't even imagine how much was paid to them to implement a sales strategy that was a massive failure. I don't know the general reputation of all these companies, but add the stories of friends at capgemini, Accenture, some smaller Atlanta-based companies and consulting just sounds awful to me, on either end. Except the money. I guess you just close your eyes and pretend it's not happening when you are a consultant.

Actually you could probably change "all consulting companies" to "everybody in an office ever." If I could avoid stabbing myself I would write a book completely in corporatespeak detailing my high level strategies for dialoguing with key partners, sell it to people who write their biography on linkedin, and retire.

UNC sucks and won't get any real penalty.

Accenture consultant here. Ready to provide value driven results.

0A2.jpg

I'll just say something typical consultants from the other side face is the anecdote described on page 23-24 of The McKinsey Way. A large bank was connecting all their offices with satellites and the McKinsey consultants calculated they could save $170 million on NPV if they used land lines instead. The client wouldn't do it because "they already started down this path" and "it would be too politically risky."

I'm sure that sounds rich: consultants blaming clients, but really there can be a lot of dysfunctions with the client to deal with in addition to how consultants could overpromise and underdeliver. I would just say in general there's a lot of issues in the business world to go around because it's really difficult to corral 10,000, 100,000 people or whatever towards a common goal. There's a ton of inefficiency in the process, inefficiencies which either less scrupulous people or less intelligent/inquisitive people can exploit.

Know what's really badass? Being secure enough in your own degree and job to not have to tell people their degree and job sucks.

Both a UNC degree and a job at Deloitte are well-respected across the country and many industries.

“It’s about the foundations of this faculty and the university,” said Sue Estroff, a former faculty chair and professor of social medicine. “My trust has been tested. Has yours? What are we going to do about that? I don’t want to work in a place where I don’t trust, admire and take the word of my leadership and my colleagues. … I feel betrayed by our leadership, our faculty leadership, people all around us that we invested with the presumptive dignity and integrity that’s on this campus.”

The provost said it broke his heart to see a photo on Twitter of an empty wall, after an alumnus had removed a UNC diploma. “This just does not define this university, it just doesn’t,” he said, adding, “This is a time to come together.”

“There’s something wrong with a faculty council which is incapable of confronting an administration,” said Hodding Carter III, a public policy professor. “Because you are not doing your duty to the university by essentially being rubber stamps for whatever is put before you by the administration.”

He said it was impossible for coaches and others in authority to have not known what was going on with the fake classes. “Please folks, don’t just try to sweep this and talk about all the good things we’re doing,” he said. “Try to undo the last of the bad things that were done.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10...to-regain.html?sp=/99/100/&rh=1#storylink=cpy

Know what's really badass? Being secure enough in your own degree and job to not have to tell people their degree and job sucks.

Both a UNC degree and a job at Deloitte are well-respected across the country and many industries.

:bigcry:

I think after every semester or quarter end, the full transcript of every scholarship athlete should be released to the public (would require amending FERPA).

A little sunshine would go a long way towards cleaning up the abuses in the system.

Fixed. A previous company I was at hired Bain and it was a joke. Bunch of recent grads who knew nothing about business except for corporatespeak like leveraging best practices to move the needle. Can't even imagine how much was paid to them to implement a sales strategy that was a massive failure. I don't know the general reputation of all these companies, but add the stories of friends at capgemini, Accenture, some smaller Atlanta-based companies and consulting just sounds awful to me, on either end. Except the money. I guess you just close your eyes and pretend it's not happening when you are a consultant.

Actually you could probably change "all consulting companies" to "everybody in an office ever." If I could avoid stabbing myself I would write a book completely in corporatespeak detailing my high level strategies for dialoguing with key partners, sell it to people who write their biography on linkedin, and retire.

UNC sucks and won't get any real penalty.

:biggthumpup:

I think after every semester or quarter end, the full transcript of every scholarship athlete should be released to the public (would require amending FERPA).

A little sunshine would go a long way towards cleaning up the abuses in the system.

Yep.

If they held off the names, and reported basic stats, wouldn't it be ok with FERPA?

For example, they report the SATs, GPA and other information of athletes without names being attached. They can possibly add statistics on what classes the athletes are taking without releasing any athletes' names.

You could tell from the players' bio which name went with which transcript.

Back