Undrafted Free Agents

You'd think he would have realized Thacker wasn't worth keeping either, but here we are...

A possible explanation is that Thacker had previously asked for new assistants but was denied. Kind of have to give him the chance he was asking for in that case.

A possible explanation is that Thacker had previously asked for new assistants but was denied. Kind of have to give him the chance he was asking for in that case.

My theory regarding Thacker is that Collins believes in his potential as a DC, but realizes he put him in a position he probably wasn't ready for and didn't set him up for success. So Collins is going to kind of take the lead and mentor him through next year, try to get him up to speed, while also getting better, more experienced position coaches to help. I have no proof this is the case, but it's what makes sense to me.

My theory regarding Thacker is that Collins believes in his potential as a DC, but realizes he put him in a position he probably wasn't ready for and didn't set him up for success. So Collins is going to kind of take the lead and mentor him through next year, try to get him up to speed, while also getting better, more experienced position coaches to help. I have no proof this is the case, but it's what makes sense to me.
At then end of the day, its Collins' job to right the ship. I'm not 100% convinced that Collins is putting the ship ahead of the crew. This year tells the tale.

Theory makes some sense. Main issue is that Collins too is in a position he clearly isn't ready for and TDope didn't setup GT for success with this hiring by not getting competent coordinators from the get-go. I don't carry much confidence in Collins to improve the defense. I am more hopeful that Weinke/Long can do a better job on offense that Patendue did.

Theory makes some sense. Main issue is that Collins too is in a position he clearly isn't ready for and TDope didn't setup GT for success with this hiring by not getting competent coordinators from the get-go. I don't carry much confidence in Collins to improve the defense. I am more hopeful that Weinke/Long can do a better job on offense that Patendue did.

Yeah. I think both Collins and TStan underestimated how much help he was going to need.

100 times yes. Everything was at least a year late.

I’ve definitely soured on Collins, but in his defense, what was always going to be a hard rebuild (which he arguably made worse with his approach to it) was greatly exacerbated by the last couple of exceedingly weird years. As tired as I’ve grown of the “year 0” talk, this really is the first relatively normal year since he’s been here (and even this one is kinda bizarre with the coaching turnover and all the transfer activity). We may never know what he could have done without all the craziness and turmoil.

JRjr

Like most I’m not sold on Collins, but nor am I convinced he should be canned today. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve had at least two promotions for which I wasn’t ready, and it showed. In the end, I figured it out and got promoted again, so “not being ready” doesn’t mean “can’t ever do it.” That said, this is most likely his last year to show that he’s capable of the role.

So I may have missed on another thread, why is Collins signature on every one of these? Shouldn't it just be GT or focusing on the player?
Because he was their coach. Pretty simple explanation.

Last edited:
What's the over/under on how many of these guys make a practice squad final cut? Three? Four?

$9200-1400/week for practice squad...is that worth getting beat to a pulp?

Back