Uni News...Sad

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
The Russell uniforms from 2008-2015 were the worst Tech unis in history for sure, especially the 2012 bubble wrap/honeycomb travesty, but everyone seems to forget Russell did a complete reversal in 2016 and 2017, and had Tech in its best uniforms since the 1970's, very similar to the classic uniform shown below, the Russell throwback, which appeared once in 2013 vs. VT, again twice in 2014 vs. GA Southern and Duke, and finally once vs. UNC in 2015.

Sadly, Tech instructed Addidas to trash the traditional classic uniform worn in 2016 and 2017, and come up with something "modern". What Tech wore last year was just as bad as the early Russell stuff imho.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
The Russell uniforms from 2008-2015 were the worst Tech unis in history for sure, especially the 2012 bubble wrap/honeycomb travesty, but everyone seems to forget Russell did a complete reversal in 2016 and 2017, and had Tech in its best uniforms since the 1970's, very similar to the classic uniform shown below, the Russell throwback, which appeared once in 2013 vs. VT, again twice in 2014 vs. GA Southern and Duke, and finally once vs. UNC in 2015.

Sadly, Tech instructed Addidas to trash the traditional classic uniform worn in 2016 and 2017, and come up with something "modern". What Tech wore last year was just as bad as the early Russell stuff imho.
Last year was comparable to Russell’s best.

Russell’s worst (bubble wrap and chicken wire) was Bugle Boy level bad.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member

2016-2017 were great. Almost as good as 1998.

The 1998-2000 templates are by far the best.

The gold number on white Adidas template last year was solid, save for the blue GT on gold pants.

Last edited:

texstinger

Dodd-Like

I think your take on the matter is spot on, but I would indeed want to know if “Tech instructed Adidas to trash the traditional classic uniform” or if Adidas said to Tech “we are paying you this amount of money so leave our design team alone.”

I can easily see a company like Adidas taking control of the issue and then listening to our input. We were really not in the same position as a Texas, bama, or schools like that.

I don’t think we ever had a shot with swoosh or UA.

I have just never heard, or seen proof, that we might have had as much control over this as many think.

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
I think your take on the matter is spot on, but I would indeed want to know if “Tech instructed Adidas to trash the traditional classic uniform” or if Adidas said to Tech “we are paying you this amount of money so leave our design team alone.”

I can easily see a company like Adidas taking control of the issue and then listening to our input. We were really not in the same position as a Texas, bama, or schools like that.

I don’t think we ever had a shot with swoosh or UA.

I have just never heard, or seen proof, that we might have had as much control over this as many think.
I don't buy this theory. I have never heard, or seen proof, that Tech does not have complete control over what uniform its football team will wear, or what company it will use to make said uniform.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
I don't buy this theory. I have never heard, or seen proof, that Tech does not have complete control over what uniform its football team will wear, or what company it will use to make said uniform.
This. We can blame Russell all we want for the hideous 2012 chicken wire, but I remember how giddy and excited the GTAA announcements were leading up to them being unveiled.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like

Good thing you guys are in the 1% on this matter.

TechN9ne

Walk-on Alum
^^This is correct. That's not how these arrangements work. Apparel companies are vendors. They propose concepts to schools, but schools ultimately make the final decisions. There are often many rounds of feedback/revisions from the apparel company's initial concept(s) to what you ultimately see on the field. But rest assured: If a school is sporting a modern look, it's because they wanted to go that route.

biggtfan

Varsity Lurker
They had the appeal of a plaid sportcoat so I won't miss them. Out with old, in with something different.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
If swoosh, or any other company, didn’t offer us as good a deal then GT ( or anybody) can not force them to do it.

Are you saying GT had complete control over UA or Nike being the company to make our unis?

And, as I originally asked, what proof do we have that GT told Adidas to “trash the classic, traditional uniform”?

Maybe we did, that is why I would like to see proof.

But is your point that Adidas is Paying GT millions of $, and GT is dictating every thing to them? I just have never understood that is how these things work.

Surely GT had more leverage with R, and if we had that power, who exactly was responsible for the crap show for the majority of CPJs tenure? (Except uni in your picture). The Ad? Surely CPJ had to have some influence? The players?

Wreck Em

Dodd-Like
In my opinion, I honestly think zero blame can be put on CPJ for anything uniform related.
The man really seemed like he couldn't care less about unis.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I don't think a staid traditional uniform pairs well with the new branding being pushed by the new staff. I expect most of this board will not like something about the uniforms through most of this coaches tenure regardless of what company is the vendor.

mack

Dodd-Like
Use dodd unis and Ross unis and Carson ones...thst would help folks remember what we used to look like...mustard brown ain't old gold....

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
I don't think a staid traditional uniform pairs well with the new branding being pushed by the new staff. I expect most of this board will not like something about the uniforms through most of this coaches tenure regardless of what company is the vendor.
Nah. That’s not adidas style. They’ve been consistent with their vision of modernizing traditional looks like did for us.

Here are the leaked unis Washington Huskies unis

Simple but nice

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
Losers "modernize" their uniforms and partake in the goofy fashion show of changing uniforms every week, while abandoning their history and tradition. See Wake, NC State, Louisville, Maryland, Vanderbilt, etc.

Winners keep their tradition and history by wearing its classic traditional uniforms of the 1960's and 1970's every week. See the eighteen or so football factory schools that honor their history: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, uga, LSU, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio St., Penn State, USC, Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, etc.

The question is: which path will Tech and the GTAA take. Sadly, it appears to be the former.

Last edited: