Uniform color

Re: NO BLUE JERSEYS!

JOJATK, unless the rules have changed in the NFL. The home team decides on what to wear. Miami traditionally would wear their white jerseys at home because of the sun, we always wore blue down there as well as other teams. but maybe the rules have changed since 95.

Re: NO BLUE JERSEYS!

[ QUOTE ]
JOJATK, unless the rules have changed in the NFL. The home team decides on what to wear. Miami traditionally would wear their white jerseys at home because of the sun, we always wore blue down there as well as other teams. but maybe the rules have changed since 95.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that confirmation Mover!!! I remember that it used to be that when a team was hosting the Cowboys you always made them wear their dark blue uniforms because they didn't play as well in them ;)

As for the Jackets uniforms I'll cheer for them no matter what color they use as the primary color (out of the ones I've seen them use since I started at GT in 1984). My one request is that whatever color we use as the primary color that the players get some say in the decision. I'm not the one who has to wear the uniform, they are. And they are the ones representing me on the field so if they want to wear black as the primary color or blue as the primary color then I will cheer just as loud as if they want to wear white or gold as the primary color. But to me its such a little thing that can be done to make the players happy and appeal to recruits that if I were in charge I'd have some sample jerseys made up in various color schemes and let the players vote on it and I'd include navy blue and, I know many won't agree with me, but I'd also include black along with the white and gold for primary colors of the jerseys.

I'll cheer no matter what the jersey color is also.....but apparently fashion means a lot to these high school kids. I heard Beamer say how much the recruits loved those horrible new VaTech multicolored sleeve jerseys.....

I just love the blue and gold combo.....I'm a graphic designer and I'm suprised how much I flock to that color combo....it's just a great contrast.

I think we should drop the yellow and black in the logo and make it blue and gold also. I don't want us to look like the Pittsburgh Steelers.

If you look at the MY OPUS post, you have to admit that the blue and gold angry buzz looks sweet MY OPUS

2333971_80X60.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif
2333971_80X60.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
2333971_80X60.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif
2333971_80X60.jpg

yellowjacket.jpg

Could not agree more with you Carson. After looking at FH Stinger's post above, I sincerely hope that black is forever removed from our color scheme.
Other than a one year "Black Watch" gimmick, it only brings back memories of losing. Let Army, Wake, and the ghost of Johnny Cash enjoy themselves with black.

Single biggest problem Carson

Here's the thing as best as my personal research can figure.

Tech has always used a "yellow" gold over the "brown" gold.
The introduction of blue into our color scheme was a Dodd Machination-in 48 or so. Partially because ATL sportswriters complained about Tech's "drab" colors.

look here:
http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/ed/44/b7_1_b.JPG

1895-1930's Tech wore standard brown/black tops with leather siding.
Our first colored jersey's in the 30's-40's were most assuredly "MUSTARD" This has led to any mass produced article in the 20th century to take on the "MUSTARD" hue rather than "BROWN/OLD" hue

1948-Dodd introduced navy blue; most of the pics of Frank Broyles are in Navy blue.

1950's- Dodd continues the Navy Blue jersey-mostly because he wanted Tech to be seen in the same light as Notre Dame. Curiously..Dodd used black stripes on the Home White Shirts/Yellow Britches

1960's Black stripes and Mustard Jerseys..though I think I've seen an occassional Brown Jersey.

1970's-1990's Color Trends made universal; GOLD=Southern Cal with a lot of orange tint.
See also Blaze Yellow for Cal and WVU.
Most of the 80's-95 Tech alums like navy b/c they associate it with the National Champ.
I tend to think of White Shirts/Yellow Britches at C-ville, rather than several 1-10/2-9 seasons of my childhood. 94 was a majority Navy year as well.

1993-Vegas Gold-first attempts to match fabric to paint. Arizona or Baylor Tech came out in Gold jerseys.
1997-98-probably the most visually appealing Gold-good ratio of BROWN/MUSTARD in these jerseys.
1999-Present- Vegas Gold has lightened to produce greater luminesence on TV cameras. Best match of Metal:Fabric
Tends to look green or piss yellow depending on the lighting.

Your color palatte goes back to Blue/Gold because so many teams/schools use it. Every 3rd HS seems to use some form of Blue/Yellow.

College Colors are about identity and branding. White and Mustard are Tech's history. That should be the predominant color scheme for us.

Currently our bball UNI's have too much Navy-the Gold is minimized.

HOME:
http://www.thegooley.com/lb3/pictureRoot/thumb/1003694.jpg?0
AWAY:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/geot/galleries/geot-okst-040304/bynum4.jpg
The women appear to have gotten their's "right":
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/geot/galleries/w-baskbl-030206/mitchell.jpg

Tennessee has made two "light" colors work by emphasizing the two. It's Orange and White. Occasionaly black is used only as piping. Their women have added Carolina Blue in a very limited way as we should if we're going to continue to use Navy. Only at the edges;Front/Back show only Orange and White.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/tenn/galleries/m-baskbl/05-06-season/usc/asumnu_3417.jpg http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/scho...DSC_3434-lg.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
If you look at the MY OPUS post, you have to admit that the blue and gold angry buzz looks sweet

[/ QUOTE ]
AGREED!!

Don\'t test me...

In the nicest possible way: You can't read.

Class of 1892 Chooses white gold and blue as class colors
In 1891, a 5 person committee authorized by the student body submits White and Gold as official school colors.
Tech students attend Ga.-Auburn game in WHITE AND GOLD
Tech beat Georgia in Athens with Lucy Cobb Institute wearing WHITE AND GOLD.

Are you telling me our colors are those of a class of 5 persons over a student committee's selection receiving 200 persons approval?

I also know about the Athletic Board decision to incorporate NAVY; That was not supported by the Alumni Association.
I've seen the memo and had the conversation with Joe Irwin.

Blue and Gold in combination is hackneyed and pedantic.
White and Gold or Mustard when properly executed is visually appealing.

Navy as a true accent in extreme moderation as piping or outline is a better approach than our prior, and very atlantan, habit of pissing on our history.

I\'m not trying to be rude...

gtalumni.org

[ QUOTE ]
After the opening of the institution at least two years had passed and no colors had been selected, although several of the classes had organized, elected officers and selected their individual colors . Class 1892, of which the writer was a member, selected White, Gold and Blue and had class pins made up in the shape of a GST monogram and the above colors filled in, in enamel.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A committee was appointed to submit colors to be worn and yells to be used for the occasion. This committee was composed of A. R. Colcord, Arthur Solomon, the writer, and one or two others whose names have passed out of my recollection.

The committee reported, recommending that White and Gold be worn and suggested several yells. The famous Techety Rex was immediately so popular that nothing else was considered at that time.

The game was attended by about 200 students, this being a very representative number, and for the first time Tech students saw a college football game, displayed their colors and used their Yell

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my point of reference and predates the 2002 memo via 1998 alumni publication reference a 1925 publication

White and Gold

I saw my first Tech game sometime in the mid 60's, at the age of approximately ten, one November night at Grant Field. We were playing those 'dogs and seeing those gold helmets, white shirts, and gold pants under the lights was a visual I'll never forget. I immediately fell in love with those uniforms and if I was the king of GT, the uni's would be just like then.

I've got a somewhat screwball of a past. I went to school in Athens in the mid-70's (you do stupid things as a teenager), walked-on to their team for a season and a half back then, and would have walked-on at GT when I finally got there had I not run out of eligibility. I'm a second generation alum, have been a die-hard fan ever since that night sometime in the 60's. To me GT is Gold and White!!!!

Re: I\'m not trying to be rude...

Dude....give up already....

Blah Blah Blah....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dead_horse.gif

Re: Single biggest problem Carson

Thats a well crafted sales pitch there. I don't see how you can say that the piss yellow color is more traditional than the "brown" gold. Go review GoldTimer's photos of old unis. I've seen various Tech unis, lettermans jackets, etc personally that span back a half century and the "brown" gold was definitely the predominant. I never saw the piss yellow color until the past few years.

But in my book, the coach's favorite scheme doesn't matter. The best looking unis to me were the Bud Carson years. Thats when the GT logo came out, and the Old Gold cotton game jerseys with the GT on the sleeve were SWEET. I like the traditional white on gold, but I also like the Gold on white from these years.

I agree rw1. We need to break out the Carson unis with the white helmets for homecoming.

Old Gold. A sort of burnished gold. We did it in the Carson years why can't we do it now?

Actually Old Gold and Navy would be a good fit but the present situation where we're hotly debating color and insisting on something other than the true Old Gold color is mind boggling.

Vegas Gold is nice but it ain't Old Gold. Bring back the navy jerseys or make up your mind. It really is ridiculous that Georgia Tech of all peoples can't establish something as simple as a shade of a color group.

Is it or is it ain't Old Gold?

Not really a sales pitch...

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen various Tech unis, lettermans jackets, etc personally that span back a half century and the "brown" gold was definitely the predominant

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got Stall and Dean Castleberry Jersey
I've got a pic of a Stall and Dean Letterman Jacket
Chip Robert's Letter Sweater in the AA.
Every Letter Jacket I saw in the late 90's
are Mustard-not bright yellow-but light brown mustard.
mustard_brown_2.jpg

As long as GT is in White and Gold, I'm a happy camper in Sec. 120.

Vegas Gold is just a fashion trend...It'll be gone in 10 years.
Check the Tech signs, especially on the far right, from the ACC Championships:
IMG_0142-lg.jpg

Back