Unis. Fo real.

I personally like the traditional look but I'm okay with these. In my opinion recruits don't really care that much about the style of the uniform as much as its functionality. Top recruits just want to go to a school where they can win and make it to the next level. Just look as the top teams from last year and the top recruiting schools. Teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, Ohio State, etc. Their uniform style hasn't changed hardly ever. They still have traditional style uniforms. Recruits care more about how the uniform feels and helps them perform. I think the jump to adidas is great for the players but I personally would like a more traditional uniform. Even Miami has gone back to a more traditional uniform and they are still one of the top recruiting school. All that to stay that uniform style is not that important when it comes to recruiting. I think new locker rooms and other recruiting amenities does help.
I have to disagree about recruits and the style of the uniform. They seem to be really into it, and a lot of schools have elaborate photo ops for them wearing the full gear. They're into the look, silly as it may seem to some of us. And it's why there are more hideous Nike uniforms and such, including what UGA wore against Boise State a few years ago. Most fans hate that stuff (when it's over the top) but players seem to love it. I would guess recruits like the all-white thing, but I would actually be focus-grouping it if I were the Tech AD. The market is teenagers, and every little thing counts, even if it's dumb little things. At UGA I've noticed every recruit gets a black jersey photo op, even though UGA almost never wears the black jerseys. They know the kids are into that.

I have to disagree about recruits and the style of the uniform. They seem to be really into it, and a lot of schools have elaborate photo ops for them wearing the full gear. They're into the look, silly as it may seem to some of us. And it's why there are more hideous Nike uniforms and such, including what UGA wore against Boise State a few years ago. Most fans hate that stuff (when it's over the top) but players seem to love it. I would guess recruits like the all-white thing, but I would actually be focus-grouping it if I were the Tech AD. The market is teenagers, and every little thing counts, even if it's dumb little things. At UGA I've noticed every recruit gets a black jersey photo op, even though UGA almost never wears the black jerseys. They know the kids are into that.

I think part of the reason uga fans are not a fan of the black jerseys is because uga doesnt have a good track record in them. Fans are usually superstitious.

I'm old and I'm into it. I know for a fact the recruits are into it.

I read where alternates will have a tie to GT history or something else GT wants done. Not doing crazy alternates with no meaning just for the hell of it. So I'm guessing, GT history related, at some point in the next 3 years we definitely get gold and navy tops but also maybe get a black watch defense alternate. I suppose that goes against the color branding but a one-off alternate would probably make the players go crazy! Once we get the full array of choices, the players could start mixing it up next year and go gold/gold/gold. Or white/navy/white.
It would be ironic to bring the black watch unis back after firing Ted Roof.

Also I thought black is still one of the official school colors. A yellow jacket uni being gold and black actually makes more sense than gold and navy.

Yeah, but I couldn't think of anything else that would be a huge difference from the white/gold/navy for them to use as a historical alternate. I wouldn't mind seeing a patriotic themed alt for veteran's day game in the future.

I think part of the reason uga fans are not a fan of the black jerseys is because uga doesnt have a good track record in them. Fans are usually superstitious.
For the record, I love the black jerseys, and we've only lost once in them. But that once was bad enough that it took some UGA fans years of therapy to recover. Black needs to be worn in cooler weather only, so I'd like to see it in the final game of the year, against Tech, as long as Tech wears white.

Also I thought black is still one of the official school colors. A yellow jacket uni being gold and black actually makes more sense than gold and navy.
DUSilheX4AAkU5k.jpg

I see your point but I still think there are other factors that effect recruiting more than uniforms. For one I think recruits like to see packed out stadiums. Fans coming to see them and cheer them on. They want to feel supported and not chastised by us the fans for errors made on the field. I think the fans play a huge role in recruiting and to be honest we as Tech fans can do a lot better. We may be fewer in number than some other fan bases but we can be just as passionate. I think Todd is doing a great job at focusing on providing an winning environment, but we as fans have to play our part in fully supporting our team by packing out BDS, showing up on time, and cheering vary load, to show recruits what a great place Georgia Tech is. I believe the most important thing to recruits is the environment. An environment where they feel welcomed, cared for, and where they can win.

Can't have red bro.
Ha! I knew that was coming soon as I hit post. I meant more like, having the GT filled in like the flag. I get it. Patriotic theme can be done without red other than the flag. Just spitballing some alternate uni themes. Was thinking we have the white out covered, what about military appreciation week. I'm just pumped for the season to start already. I need actual football content so I can move past uniforms.

I see your point but I still think there are other factors that effect recruiting more than uniforms. For one I think recruits like to see packed out stadiums. Fans coming to see them and cheer them on. They want to feel supported and not chastised by us the fans for errors made on the field. I think the fans play a huge role in recruiting and to be honest we as Tech fans can do a lot better. We may be fewer in number than some other fan bases but we can be just as passionate. I think Todd is doing a great job at focusing on providing an winning environment, but we as fans have to play our part in fully supporting our team by packing out BDS, showing up on time, and cheering vary load, to show recruits what a great place Georgia Tech is. I believe the most important thing to recruits is the environment. An environment where they feel welcomed, cared for, and where they can win.
Of course there are other factors that affect recruiting more. The question was whether recruits care, and they definitely do.

I looked up the "wearing white at home" rule: The visiting team must wear white unless the home team and the visiting team have a written agreement in place before the start of the season.

Presumably, there's no gold or navy variant because GT has written agreements with all of the teams visiting HGF@BDS. I assume there will be special uniforms with color for the ACCCG/Playoff/NCG.
Seems like the rule ought to be: "home team chooses what it's gonna wear"

Back