update on jordan luallen

Thanks for the link. I have a hard copy that I keep in my office. There are a couple of UGA fans around the office who every once in a while get on me about being a UGA grad and maintaining my allegiance to Tech.

When I hear too much barking from down the hall I just drop off a copy of 'The Test' and the noise subsides.
i still don't understand how you went to UGA...

Not to defend "the Test," but it seems funny to me that a person who is great in, say, Tuba or any other musical instrument, can go to college on full scholarship, major in Tuba (or music), and even hold a part-time job. However, someone great in a sport can get a full scholarship, but has to major in something other than their sport, and cannot hold any significant type of part-time job for extra cash during college.

Not to defend "the Test," but it seems funny to me that a person who is great in, say, Tuba or any other musical instrument, can go to college on full scholarship, major in Tuba (or music), and even hold a part-time job. However, someone great in a sport can get a full scholarship, but has to major in something other than their sport, and cannot hold any significant type of part-time job for extra cash during college.

I think you can hold part-time jobs. I seem to recall a few players working for Delta Airlines at one time.

i agree with you BuzzMD. In fact i have had this idea for a while that someone should start a "sports university" where people can go, and not just play their sport but prepare for a life involving sports or a certain sport. relevant majors might be: broadcasting, officiating, trainer, coaching, strength and conditioning, sports psych, sports/event management, sports diplomacy, economics of sport (great for future team presidents or ADs), and so on.
you could hire former coaches, ADs, league presidents etc to teach some of the classes, and i think it would be a legitimate endeavor to offer such an education.

some schools have, de facto, built this into their major structure, like "leisure studies" at Georgie or "recreation" at some other schools

but we do need coaches, trainers, experts, s&c coaches, broadcasters, etc.. why not learn em?

i agree with you BuzzMD. In fact i have had this idea for a while that someone should start a "sports university" where people can go, and not just play their sport but prepare for a life involving sports or a certain sport. relevant majors might be: broadcasting, officiating, trainer, coaching, strength and conditioning, sports psych, sports/event management, sports diplomacy, economics of sport (great for future team presidents or ADs), and so on.
you could hire former coaches, ADs, league presidents etc to teach some of the classes, and i think it would be a legitimate endeavor to offer such an education.

some schools have, de facto, built this into their major structure, like "leisure studies" at Georgie or "recreation" at some other schools

but we do need coaches, trainers, experts, s&c coaches, broadcasters, etc.. why not learn em?
coaches -> leadership classes
trainers -> nutritional/exercise fitness
broadcasters -> journalism

there are already majors for these things, just not offered at Tech.

Oh no, I'm not laughing at the fact that there's a basketball studies course. While I may not believe that class to be dreadfully difficult, it's fine. I'm laughing at college course with test questions like this:

How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a basketball game?

there are already majors for these things, just not offered at Tech.

i never said that there were not already similar majors, but there is NOT a school that exist for persons who want to do all of that ... RELATED TO SPORTS. you missed the point entirely, but always have something to say that you seemingly just have to tell everyone

the problem would be getting accreditation.

I think you can hold part-time jobs. I seem to recall a few players working for Delta Airlines at one time.

I can't remember the school or the players, but in the last year or two, a university got reprimanded for allowing SA's to get a paycheck from a carwash without actually showing up for work. That leads me to believe part-time jobs are fully allowed - now when they would have time during football season I have no idea.

I didn't know jobs were still allowed. Mine was always in the summertime. One of my former bosses is on here now.

i never said that there were not already similar majors, but there is NOT a school that exist for persons who want to do all of that ... RELATED TO SPORTS. you missed the point entirely, but always have something to say that you seemingly just have to tell everyone

the problem would be getting accreditation.
So basically you want an ITT Tech for sports stuff?

Talk about dumb ideas...

i still don't understand how you went to UGA...

GTK --I know this has been an enigma for you. I touched upon the subject in one of my first posts on ST, which was before you joined up. I'll have to share my story with you sometime.

Back