Vad Lee will get chance to compete

This offense needs a playmaker at QB. The right QB will make the difference in close games. CPJ has to give the kid a strong look.

If Vad comes in and really shines, makes the correct reads, doesn't put the ball on the ground and demonstrates he can complete passes he may win the job. However, the speed of the game may surprise him.

On the other hand, Days may come back in the fall and surprise everyone.

Tevin had better be in top condition and improve his passing skills between now and the fall. CPJ has fired a shot across his bow.

If you are going to start for CPJ, you best demonstrate that you are a winner.

IMO the QB job is up for grabs.

If Vad comes in and really shines, makes the correct reads, doesn't put the ball on the ground and demonstrates he can complete passes he may win the job. However, the speed of the game may surprise him.

This is true of every player on every team. Do you really think that a coach is going to sit a player who is out there dominating just because he's a freshman?

Football is a competitive sport, so of course he is going compete at his position. If CPJ said," Vad will be competing for the starting QB position," then your opinion would be credible

Of course he'll get a chance to compete. Nobody ever said he wouldn't.
But he probably won't win the job, and if its close I would still err on the side of going with the other guy and at least TRYING to redshirt Vad. If Vad is clearly head and shoulders better than the next guy, then by all means play him. But if its not obvious that we're definitely going to win more games by playing Vad over Days or Washington, then RS him.

The belief that Vad will play this year is crazy talk. Sure he is an athlete, but so is Days...only he has been here a year and ran the offense in HS and he is still struggling with the basics! Unless Vad is a truly exceptional talent, he will RS and even then there is no certainty if be will even be ready next year. Our offense is completely different from anything he is use to, add in the speed of the game, youth, maturity, physical development, etc and the chances are slim.

Granted, JN did a good enough job in 08 in a similar situation.

I am afraid TW is it folks. He is serviceable, but not the QB of the future, which I'd rather be breaking in this year not next year or Heaven forbid in 2013, but we have to go with whoever gives us the best chance to win NOW.

I might get flamed for this, but I would really hate to burn Vad's redshirt for a backup role. If he does not win the starting job then he should redshirt IMO.

Holy crap, this gets said in every Vad thread and it is wrong! The two options are not mutually exclusive. Vad could be the backup the whole year and as long as he never plays - he would still get a redshirt. They don't apply RSs until after the season. It doesn't matter what title they give him (backup, 8th string, waterboy)...as long as he doesn't play, he gets a redshirt no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap, this gets said in every Vad thread and it is wrong! The two options are not mutually exclusive. Vad could be the backup the whole year and as long as he never plays - he would still get a redshirt. They don't apply RSs until after the season. It doesn't matter what title they give him (backup, 8th string, waterboy)...as long as he doesn't play, he gets a redshirt no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think people play too much EA NCAA football -- you have to declare your redshirts at beginning of season, and they are taken off your roster.

For all you haters who thought we would slap a redshirt on Vad and call it a year, PJ had this to say:

He said incoming freshman Vad Lee will have a chance to compete at quarterback in the fall. He said the keys will be how quickly he can adjust to the speed of the college game and to the higher level of talent.
“We’re definitely excited about him,” he said.

Our QB play this spring must have really left something to be desired. We know Tevin isn't the answer and Sinjyn must not have impressed.

Look for Vad to crack the two deep a few games into the season and then see live action.

This is a nonstarter, really. Everyone on a scholarship will get a chance to compete. Crap, people not on a scholarship will probably get about 5-10 minutes but then they'll be relegated to scout team.

Vad will get a chance, but I'm pretty confident he'll have to knock it out of the park to have a chance to play right away.

Hmmm. No, I think most here had already declared Vad a redshirt. They said he needed a year to learn the offense and for physical development.

I believe PJ's comment about Vad is very significant and not just coach speak. PJ obviously was not pleased with the QB play this spring...to the point where he said a true freshman who has not arrived on campus would compete with a redshirt junior.

Again, big difference from getting a shot and starting. Vad can easily get a chance to compete and still be redshirted. Nothing CPJ says disputes that.

Think people play too much EA NCAA football -- you have to declare your redshirts at beginning of season, and they are taken off your roster.
but we can burn the RS at any point, so I guess what matters is if Vad is the scout team QB or a backup QB.

Even in NCAA you can play someone with a redshirt in the middle of the season (it warns you beforehand though). You do have to declare them at the beginning though.

Yes, he absolutely would. Saying they will get a chance to compete when they get on campus, is like saying they will get a chance to breathe when they get on campus.

I disagree. As the head coach, you just finished spring practice and make it a point to say publicly that an incoming freshman will get a chance to compete against your returning redshirt junior starter.

This is clearly an indication of displeasure at his QB's. PJ is not one for mundane coach speak. There was substance behind those comments.

Tevin Washington was a serviceable backup last season. I think his competitiveness shown through in his performance. But, his bottom line when it came to W's and L's was not good.
Listening to what little CPJ has said this Spring, I think he is clearly disappointed in the mistakes Days makes at QB and has certainly not been effusive in praise for Tevin. I think his comment is noteworthy. He is sending a message to the guys already in the program - we are going to see if the new guy coming in can adjust fast enough to get on the field this year.
Frankly, if CPJ is not completely pleased with TW or SD at quarterback, it would be to our advantage to put the ball in Vad's hands and let him be the man from the get go. That assumes he is up to the challenge.
If Tevin is a serviceable starter all of next season he will have established himself with the team as its QB. Pushing aside someone who has started 16 or 17 games for a redshirt freshman might not happen seamlessly.

Guys, Paul Johnson redshirted the all time rushing leader in D-I (Adrian Peterson with 9,000+ yards including the playoffs), no reason to think he won't redshirt Vad unless he is forced to use him.

Lots of reasons Vad will RS-

-he hasn't run our OFF from under ctr
-this is classic rebuilding yr
-until we get an O line, God would have a tough time moving ball
-until we get WRs/recs a good passer will make only so much diff

reason to play
-the others are hurt
-others suck really bad and the team only needs that spark to have decent yr

I disagree. As the head coach, you just finished spring practice and make it a point to say publicly that an incoming freshman will get a chance to compete against your returning redshirt junior starter.

This is clearly an indication of displeasure at his QB's. PJ is not one for mundane coach speak. There was substance behind those comments.

I think you're trolling now. If not...

EVERY freshman that comes in will get a shot to compete. If they are better than the guys starting, they will start. That's not even a question, and it's what every college coach out there does. You're being stubborn now.

Hmmm. No, I think most here had already declared Vad a redshirt. They said he needed a year to learn the offense and for physical development.

I believe PJ's comment about Vad is very significant and not just coach speak. PJ obviously was not pleased with the QB play this spring...to the point where he said a true freshman who has not arrived on campus would compete with a redshirt junior.

I would be shocked if Vad played next year, solely because it's hard to pick up the offense so fast. If we had nobody in front of him, he would have a better chance. But I would be surprised if he played next year, without an injury to one of the guys ahead of him.

For all you haters who thought we would slap a redshirt on Vad and call it a year, PJ had this to say:

He said incoming freshman Vad Lee will have a chance to compete at quarterback in the fall. He said the keys will be how quickly he can adjust to the speed of the college game and to the higher level of talent.
“We’re definitely excited about him,” he said.

Our QB play this spring must have really left something to be desired. We know Tevin isn't the answer and Sinjyn must not have impressed.

Look for Vad to crack the two deep a few games into the season and then see live action.

I'm pretty certain that CPJ says something very similar every year. What do you expect CPJ to say, "No son you have no chance at competing this year." He wouldn't attract many recruits if he said something like that would he.

Hi.

Me.

I had already declared Vad a redshirt. I said he needed a year to learn the offense and for physical development. I still think he needs those things, but I was so unimpressed with our QBs in the spring I think he'll get a chance to compete just out of sheer necessity. I thought Synjyn would be better than he's shown so far. And he might still figure it out, but the practice I saw, neither QB looked accurate passing, and neither made great reads. Synjyn looked like Nesbitt with a worse arm - deciding where to throw it before the play opened up. Tevin made better reads but sailed his balls and his throwing mechanics were poor.

At this point, it would not surprise me to see Vad listed as the #2 in the fall, but see him shifted to #3 to preserve his redshirt if our #1 makes it most of the way through the season.

If you are that concerned you should post a poll, bonham.

Back