VT's in ACC game & this could bust expansion wide open!

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
VT\'s in ACC game & this could bust expansion wide open!

GT's Pres Clough called on VT's pres today to feel out the Gobbler's interest in the ACC. Can you say 13 team league? Here's a link to the Hurricane board which reprints the Washington Post story in toto:

Can Va Tech slip into ACC expansion?

Re: VT\'s in ACC game & this could bust expansion wide open!

brilliant move by the ACC.

13 teams don't make sense so that's not an option.

it can pan out few ways
a) they spurn us. then casteen votes yes
b) just the threat of getting VPI in forces either UNC or Duke to rethink their position and realize that we're serious about expansion and they just vote yes and get it done with.
c) we do site visits of VPI et all (expansion can't happen without that) and actually invite VPI and they accept. we'll then have to drop either BC or Cuse (hopefully Cuse, they really don't want to come in anyways) or we add a 4th team.

at this point i think it's more likely that either a or b happens before c unless the 4th team is notre dame or something. geez.

I agree. Brilliant Move. If Va Tech says "no" then Virginia can vote yes giving us the 7-2 margin and we can get this thing done.

Just to add a little more fuel to the fire...

The 10 PM news in Roanoke said that the ACC "will" invite VT. They also said that VT will really have no choice but to accept becasue of the governor's position. They said the ACC will go to 14 because 13 makes no sense. They then went on to say that expansion would include the original 3 AND VT and one more team. They said the school the ACC is talking to "starts with an "N" and a "D"" (their words).

Take it for what it's worth. But that reporter has a fair amount of credibility around here.

Wow, keep us abressed of the situation.

Heard that Notre Dame make $20 Million a year on their own. Until that changes, they'll stay put. The only way I see that changing is for the Purdues, Southern Cals, Stanfords and Michigans of the world to stop scheduling them and force them into an affiliation to get quality opposition. If ND was forced to play Wyoming, Utah St., UNLV and Houston instead of the aforementioned teams. They would beg for a conference.

Actually, you could have a conference with 13 teams. Just because one division has 6 and one 7 doesn't change anything. You still have the 2 winners slug it out in a championship game. It could work very easily. If you have to schedule each team in the division then the division with 7 teams would have 6 other division teams they would have to play, but that still leaves 6 games for rivals and OOC. Or you could just go ahead and ask WV too.

What about ND is either Atlantic, Coast, or Conference? If we're going this route, why not invite Illinois? That would make the Big 10 actually ten.

VT will definitely accept, and ND definitely decline an offer. What about Penn St. as 14th team? I bet Joepa is still mad at Big 10 refs.

Since nobody wants an odd number of teams I say we boot unc or the dookies off the island. It would be nice poetic justice.

Price Memorial Gold

Originally posted by PM Gold:
Since nobody wants an odd number of teams I say we boot unc or the dookies off the island. It would be nice poetic justice.

Price Memorial Gold
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This is the best idea yet!!!!

PM you took the post right away from me. Time for Duke to go.

Best T-shirt I've ever seen from year's ago had only 2 words on it: DUCK FUKE!!!

I read an article in the NY post that said that the long range plans of Swoffords was to sign the original three BE teams and then go for ND and VT.
He also went on to say that he had it on good authority that ND would be interested because they know that the Super Conferences will withdraw
from the NCAA and go to a national championship playoff and that could rule them out of the picture. The article also said that ND was concerned about the continued excellence of their BB program as well as the so-minor sports.
I'm sure that ND is not out to do anyone any favors but they are aware that they have burned their bridges with the big ten and they don't have an abundance of options. Stranger things have happened. This article also said that Swofford had been in contact with the Irish and according to this guy they were very interested.

Big buck, what is the link to this site?

I see the article about Virginia Tech and UCONN at www.nypost.com but I don't see anything about ND. If you hear anything more about the Irish, let us know.

8/9/10/12/13 teams in a conference still does not address the underlying question of what role does the conference play in determining the national champion. Until that question is answered, the idea of shuffling the conference decks is irrelevant. What needs to be decided upon is the playoff format. If a playoff format simply takes the top four rated teams, being in a strong conference is perhaps not to your advantage. For the conferences to have real meaning they have to play directly into the playoff format. There are several formats possible that maintain the conferences and the bowls. For example let the top 8 conferences play in the top 7 bowls. Let the bowls rotate such that the championship bowl is rotated. There are other options such as the 8x8 setup described in championship64.org. At any rate, until the conference role is define we have the cart in front of the horse.

It has been report that Cuse is not all that keen on being in the ACC. So lets hope that VT accepts then Cuse turns down the invite. We still end up with the 12 that we wanted all along. However 13 is not bad 6 in 1 div 7 in the other we still have a playoff and the option to bring the ACC to 14 at a later date.

gtfan1147, I read this in the NY Post last week ,
I don't remember which day, perhaps Thursday or Friday so I don't have a link but since you accessed the NY Post maybe you could find it in their data base. It had two guys that had researched the topic and they were just giving their opinion on where ACC expansion was headed.
And according to them it was on good authority.

Ahso, you are correct, the guy has been trashing
expansion from the get go. He was quoted as saying
last week that expansion didn't make any sense with two northeast teams and 10 southern teams. I do know that many employers wouldn't tolerate this kind of rudeness and insubordination from one of their employees. Of course he and coach K has one thing in common and that is WHINING. I can't wait to watch Duke play Syracuse in BB because these two will take whining to a new level.

Back