want to hear Positives in this thread.........

law_bee

Dodd-Like
There are/and will be many negative threads but I want to hear what positives people saw last night (if you did not see any positives IYO then do not post in this thread).

I tell you the clemson/MD losses of 02 were worse than this loss.

I think if we have Hargrove and Malone then we come away winners.

I felt like the coaching was adequate. If we played the game again we could possibly win. After some losses and wins in recent past I have not felt like that.

The reality is we only had a limited offensive package but were able to move the ball. Turnover's will cause a loss and on the road that is even bigger.

I THINK WE COULD HAVE BEATEN NORTHERN ILLINOIS TONIGHT! I think Fridge found out why you do not play a weak NON-conference team at their field. I bet he never makes that mistake again. And don't be surprised if MD does not upset f$u next week. This loss may lead them to an ACC championship. Fridge took a BC opening day loss one year and still had a fine season.

I sure wish we had MD's schedule.

The key will be can our coach keep this team improving. We have Fred and some other upper classmen who will have to keep this team from letting down.

It will be a long season, but I am not a down as I thought I would be after a loss (nowhere near as down as walking out of BDS@GF after that Clemson/MD game in 02).

Good post Lawbee..

I think the positives include Reggie getting his first game behind him... he did well for a first outing..

I think the DL played their hearts out.. the lack of bodies on D hurt us more than I thought it would..

We played 10 freshmen last night.. cudos to these guys for stepping up..

I agree with you in comparing losses.. although I do not like the fact that we lost.. this one does not bother me as bad as the Danzler loss in 2001 nor the losses to we had last year to WF, UGA and FSU..

We should have won this game.. and if we have more depth on the DL, I think we do.. that lack of depth changed our LB schemes, and our secondary coverage calls.. if I am an offensive coordinator on the other side.. I just play patiently and wait for fatigue to set it.. in essence, that is what happened last night

The placekicker did a great job.

The uniforms were the best we've worn in years and looked great.

Law,
I for one think there were some positive's that came out of the game. While I hate losing I can see the overall picture. I can understand the negative posts and agree everyone has their own opinion of what happened last night. If we continue to improve I believe the program will be successful.

Maybe my expectations were lower than everyone else, but I thought Tech played a heck of a game. If we hold onto the ball, who knows what happens.

People are criticizing Gailey's play calling, but compared to last year, it was a 300% improvement. Much more passing on first down, safe little dump outs to pick up the first down on 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2. Getting Freddie the ball quick with room to run. I thought Chan really called a good game.

What killed us was our defensive front, and we have to get used to being really weak here. We just couldn't make a big stop on short yardage situations. They were 3 for 3, I think, on 4th and short. When time of possession is 2 to 1!! in their favor, of course your defense is gonna get tired, especially in that altitude.

But just about every time we had the ball on offense, we moved it, or at least got a first down. None of those UGLY three-and-outs from the O'Brien/Suggs era.

And how 'bout Reggie Ball!! This guy's 18 years old and looked calmer with much better instincts than Bilbo or Suggs ever did. This guy's our QB for 4 years, and they're gonna be exciting. He just has that natural feel for the game, that's obvious. That play in the 4th Q, when he sensed pressure and spun out left, then threw a bullet for a first down - you just can't teach that!

I think if Chan can keep them motivated and the energy level up, we're gonna win some games this year.

Blocked punt was great.

Jonathan Smith was pretty good (needs to temper the yapping)

Ball looked good on the scramble (should look for that more)

The defensive line played valiantly. Wilkenson #49 looked pretty good. So did Henderson #56.

Not taking away from BYU, but in some ways we beat ourselves with turnovers and penalties -- quasi-positive because we will correct these things hopefully.

I honestly think the coaching and gameplan was solid. The boys were put in a position to win the game in the 4th quarter and didn't make the plays.

Did everyone see the way Reggie performed WHEN EVERYONE knew he was going to throw the ball.

Late in the 2nd half he was moving around the pocket under an intense rush and hitting receivers.

I think he had a couple of drops. I think CG will be able to open things up more from this point on. As much as people complain about the conservative O. This was a must with a young QB. If his confidence would have been destroyed last year he could have been done. His play in the 2nd half built on his play in the 1st.

Auburn is a VERY tough game and I hope we can stay healthy.

Another vote for the unis! Whoever's responsible
(designer?) merits lunch at the Varsity including pie.

Reggie's indoctrination went very well. If he had of somehow scored on that run I would've spit beer through my nose. Same for Kenny Scott's blocked punt. That still gives me chills. Can you say true frosh?

P.J. ran with more determination as the game went on. Didn't quite turn the corner but I saw something there.

Dixon looked damn good right up until the fumble.

Henderson's a keeper. No doubt. Smith, too.

I swear, Wrotto or some other big dude plugged the middle a couple of times and forced the run outside. I swear it!

Our placekicker accounted for 7 pts.

The future looks bright. I liked the uni's as well.
drinking.gif

Positives:

1)Reggie

2)Henderson

3)Wilkerson

4)Foschi

5)Special Teams

Negatives:

1)Everything else

Originally posted by kirbee:
Not taking away from BYU, but in some ways we beat ourselves with turnovers and penalties -- quasi-positive because we will correct these things hopefully.

That really goes both ways, kirbee. BYU had tons of penalties (most of which were iffy calls in the second half). Remove the punt block, three turnovers and missed FG in the first half, and the game becomes a blowout.

I must say, I was impressed with Ball last night. He backed up what came out of his mouth. Give him a little time, and he will be fantastic. Your kicker was excellent as well. Hang in the guys; your team will be pretty good this year. Let's watch USC and Auburn beat each other up on Saturday so that we can upset both of them next week!
grin.gif

New uniforms look great, Ball looks like he has a good future ahead of him considering he's a true freshman, Henderson pressured Berry all night long, Wilkerson made good plays, Foschi found openings on third downs and moved the chains when we needed it, and the blocked punt by Scott was a huge welcome sight seeing as how there haven't been any of those in recent years.

Beyond that, I'm too frustrated to post.

Originally posted by cropdusterengineer:
Positives:

Alex the sideline reporter girl is hot and has a nice rack.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So when is ThomsonJacket going to post vidcaps of the game as the hottie thread of the day?
smile.gif

John..
You the MAN..What say you go down there to 680 the Buuuldog fan and put a Big Ole Elijay Block on ole Coleman..You think he has his nose up Olearys rear end and just dont like that his ole DL coach wasnt hired back??
No, being Serious here..Im with YOU..Im looking st the Whole picture..Chan is a good Football man..This academic thing will be behind us soon and once Chan can bring in his guys (Like Scott,Ball,Wrotto)We will right this ship..
John..KEEP SPEAKING UP..GT NEEDS YOUR VOICE NOW...To Offset Coleman who has sold his soul to cater to his Bulldog friends.....

Ball played great... Smith was well Smith... the DL all things considered played well... LB's and DB's will get better a couple of blown coverages still 4 offensive TO's and only allowed 24 points... we must have more offense and limit TO's to win... I'm encourged by Scott and other SO/FR play... this is a rebuilding season and Gailey if given 2-3 years will win... BEAT auburn go TECH we need some old timers to talk up the kids for this great rivialry game... home opener stadium - improvments - top ten opponent -
hope the kids are sky high

I think BYU is a decent team ,maybe 8-4 with that QB so the loss will look better later.
The Good-
1. Kicking game.Was I wrong.FGs,KOs,punting were all first class.I wouldn't put a true FR returning KOs.dumb.
A blocked punt TD.Fantastic.
2.Ball will be better than good.
3.Good news -the DBs tackle well.the Bad News-they had to because the BYU receivers caught so many balls
The BAD- not here

To add to what has already been said--
1. All the young men played hard the whole game.
2. I always felt we were still in it until the
last few minutes of the game. I felt we were
capable of winning all night long--haven't
felt like that in a while.
3. I posted this summer that I would love to see
better pressure on the punts and kicks--I
guess I got what I asked for. Thanks K. Scott
(who is another positive BTW--and a very hard
playing young man.)

Reggie Ball's first start
L 24-13 Pass:15-24-1-147 Rush:5-39
Shawn Jones' first start