WARNING! Practice will be closed if

Kennesawkid

Varsity Lurker
I heard from a source who was at practice today(Tuesday, 8/05), that Chan is ready to close practice if there is any more reporting on the internet about practice. This comes from someone who works inside the Edge. He is dead serious bout no practice reports. I really look forward to going to practice each year and will gladly abide with this because it is necessary. I hope you people who are posting will not get us locked out again.

Shouldn't he be more worried about scouts from opposing teams watching our practices? I don't see what you could learn from a message board.

Regardless, if this is what the head coach at GT wants, we should respect his wishes.

People in the new Bio-Med building can watch practice all day long. I can understand Chan's concerns and don't fault him, but does he not notice that huge building towering over him?

I don't see why people can't post with regard to who is especially playing well or how specific players are looking. The officialy reports on ramblinwreck.com even give that type of information.

Has he given any guidelines as to the type of reports that can be posted on the boards?

Surely, he does not mean all of the reports!

Father Time

IF Coach Gailey said WTTE, it is another step backwards as far as fan/alumni relationships.I was hoping to start hearing about the team/players after a summer of reading the same 10 posters holding their "is Chan the right person for the job" debate on this board.I've said it before, he is going to need to put an outstanding product on the field as he has built up almost nothing in the "goodwill" account.I was encouraged to read what John Davis had to say about the man.IMO, that carries alot of what vs. what "StumbleBuzz" in Hahira,whose 3rd cousin drove the Ramblin Reck back in '91, has to say about Mr.Gailey.

I understand closing practices one week b/f game (this is when you implement plays etc.), however unless Auburn is not going to watch the BYU game I think they may get an idea of what we are going to do.

When people close practices they are not exactly brimming w/ confidence. IMO

Is he ID'ing the people watching practice?

Some of you guys just don't get it. Do you realize that most coaches don't open practices anymore due to the internet. If you want to know what's going on, go to practice or call or e-mail a friend who does. Do you know how beneficial it is to Gary Croton(BYU's Coach) to know how a particular player is performing, or what his strengths and weaknesses are? As for the building across the street, O'Leary always had someone keeping a close watch for spies in that area, and I imagine Chan does too. For that matter, O'Leary closed practices largely due to the internetand you people wh had an uncontrollable urge to let the world know what was going on. Consider going to practice a priviledge, not a right. Honor the request to come and watch, but not tell the world what you saw, or thought you saw. Don't use this as an excuse to blast our fine coach. Do you realize that if you get him fired, the next guy is not going to let you put practice reports on the internet either. Please wake up to reality!

How many top 20 programs are closing practice a month before the first game?

Even O'leary just closed them to NON season ticket holders.

I will put it like this IF COACH GAILEY SAID THAT, then I am REALLY starting to worry.

Is it possible it could help for the first game? Maybe

But are we only playing 1 game this season?

I understand it is a give and take, but I tell you it SUCKS for PR when you threaten stuff.

And if you SUCK at PR you BETTER not screw up.

Didn't we go through this same scene a year ago???
What in the world can one of us divulge that would hurt the team...Geez I think the folks in the Edge Building need to lighten up...
The most important attributes a team can display require no secrets... these attributes are good conditioning, smart play and, discipline... the rest is just a means to an end...
And sorry if I'm overly sarcastic but after watching Gailey's philosophy of football for the better part of the last 15 years I seriously doubt that he's come up with some new 'improved' way to run an offense...
rolleyes.gif

Believe it or not I don't think the Dawgs had to send someone over to 'SPY' on our team before they pounded us 51-7... nor was there any secret as to why we got our butts beat into the mud in San Jose... Just good ol' strength and conditioning...

Has anyone asked Chan what he thinks is too much information? I thought George had made things fairly clear at one time in the past as far as what he thought was acceptable. I can understand details of players moves or formations, etc., but I have a hard time thinking that our assessments of players means much to anybody. In fact, it may actuall help if any opposing coaches are stupid enough to think we know what we're talking about. I agree, that some positive news about player attitudes, etc., is needed around here.

Besides as long as he doesn't close it to the media there will be reports anyway.

So how about one of you guys who goes to practice asking what he thinks is appropriate?

Coach is getting a little paranoid. I also agree that anyone who really was up to no good could watch from the building. I posted about practice but you will note things are generalized, with the excception of saying Huneycutt looked great and will be all-ACC. Injuries could be helpful to a certain degree to an opponent, but the PR dept. actually lists those and they are in the paper. We are in need of some goodwill and fan support, if he shuts things down it will be another bunker type of mentality that has pervaded since he arrived. Good grief man, there are people actually trying to lend some support and are still interested. State the rules and your expectations regarding info and let it be.

Originally posted by Kennesawkid:
Do you realize that if you get him fired, the next guy is not going to let you put practice reports on the internet either. Please wake up to reality!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If WE get him fired???
I'm pretty sure the only person that can be responsible for Chan getting fired is Chan himself. If you think a practice report on the internet is going to cost him his job, I would highly suggest you go into rehab for your drug problem before the season starts.

Basically close practice, close down interest in the team. There will be no interest in the message boards, no interest in the press unless CG plans to censor JH colmuns, and there will be nothing to chat up the team on 790.

Due to the losses I think this team is going to be vanilla on off and def so its man-on-man. CG better worry about strength and conditioning.

Careful, chan... I heard the guy that cuts your grass is a UGA gradute & may be reporting back to Coach Richt.. Heard your mailman is taking note of all the mail you are receiving...
shocked.gif
Are you sure your phones aren't tapped?...
pat.gif

I really wish I had never posted this topic. In fact I am so disgusted with the attitudes shown here, I think I will just tune out with all of you.

to be honest until CG comes out with OFFICIAL guidelines I think it is GREAT for the program to discuss practices.

I think it was creating buzz around the team and I have seen some of the most positive comments from MANY that I have not seen in awhile.

LOL!!

Last season he was too blase about everything, this year he's paranoid!

Get a lfe, guys.

If Chan would take a cue from George O'Leary and have lunch with Chan once a week it would simplify
for us all just what he wants and doesn't want.
O'leary was abrasive and sometimes abrupt but he did put a premium on communicating with his fans
and was eager to inform us with as much information as he could. But it seems that Chan has said not to post too much without giving any parameters on what was permissible and what was not. Some things are obvious to us but there are many gray areas that needs to be clarified. I get the impression that Chan doesn't have the same appreciation for PR as did George and this could ultimately come back to bite him.

Back