We better have OXYGEN tanks/Masks!

The Gnome of Zurich

Varsity Lurker
Without any depth on DL, those guys are going to need the O. This shouldnt even be a question. Unless Gailey was misqouted, he said yesterday they were "looking into the oxygen tanks." I surely think he was just kidding about that. They are probably already on the plane I would hope. The team leaves at 4:30 today, just in time to get out there, check in to hotel, eat dinner, and curfew. Interesting time frame.

I can't help but agree. I am surprised we aren't already out there, especially with the different environment.

i wrote an email to chan gailey about going early to utah to get acclimated. i got a response from an AA staff member stating that NCAA rules and classes etc. will leave us no choice but follow the "interesting" timeframe as pointed out by the cynic.

I guess they are just a little concerned with missing those pesky classes.

Win or lose, you know what we'll do!
drinking.gif

I guess they are just a little concerned with missing those pesky classes.

Win or lose, you know what we'll do!
drinking.gif

Originally posted by ylojk8:
i wrote an email to chan gailey about going early to utah to get acclimated. i got a response from an AA staff member stating that NCAA rules and classes etc. will leave us no choice but follow the "interesting" timeframe as pointed out by the cynic.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Per NCAA rules, the players are excused from classes today. Leave at 10:00 get a practice (light obviously) out there, instead of meetings here and a walk thru here. Anyone who thinks "it's just a mind game" is more naive than I can imagine. It's the attention to all the little details that matters most in a game like this. I expect it. Prediction: BYU 27 Us 10

Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:
Prediction: BYU 27 Us 10
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">what 10 whole points? how are we going to score 10 points? c'mon .. you can be more cynical than that.

i mean .. we won't even have a walk thru there today .. you are not even sure that our team will have oxygen tanks out there .. cummon now.

you're not putting all your effort at being a cynic. i had expected you to predict a shutout for us.

hopefully our team will put a better effort in doing what they do than you are putting in doing what you do.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:
Prediction: BYU 27 Us 10
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">what 10 whole points? how are we going to score 10 points? c'mon .. you can be more cynical than that.

i mean .. we won't even have a walk thru there today .. you are not even sure that our team will have oxygen tanks out there .. cummon now.

you're not putting all your effort at being a cynic. i had expected you to predict a shutout for us.

hopefully our team will put a better effort in doing what they do than you are putting in doing what you do.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're right...If Braine had sold some more GOLD Club seats, we could pay for some oxygen tanks...How's that? By the way, I know the team will put forth the effort, they just deserve better management.

You're right...If Braine had sold some more GOLD Club seats, we could pay for some oxygen tanks...How's that? By the way, I know the team will put forth the effort, they just deserve better management.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">how's what? we can pay for and therefore will have oxygen tanks regardless of the success of the club seats plan. you're off your rocker or something?

talk sense. you're even failing to be a good cynic.

loser

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:

You're right...If Braine had sold some more GOLD Club seats, we could pay for some oxygen tanks...How's that? By the way, I know the team will put forth the effort, they just deserve better management.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">how's what? we can pay for and therefore will have oxygen tanks regardless of the success of the club seats plan. you're off your rocker or something?

loser
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Come on ylo, lighten up. I was just kidding around. Can't you take a little joke. By the way, I was wrong...since we are excused from classes all today, we should have flown in to Provo last night! USC is flying in Thursday to Auburn. I am sure you would agree that this is not the biggest deal in the world, but attention to ALL the details are important. Have a great day

loser
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">More childish name-calling. This is fun.
He was obviously joking about the seats (though I feel certain you realize that).

I'm pretty surprised that they are not getting there till tonight - that scares me.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ylojk8:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Per NCAA rules, the players are excused from classes today. Leave at 10:00 get a practice (light obviously) out there, instead of meetings here and a walk thru here. Anyone who thinks "it's just a mind game" is more naive than I can imagine. It's the attention to all the little details that matters most in a game like this. I expect it. Prediction: BYU 27 Us 10</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gnome, GT won't have any problem with the altitude or flying out there real late.. That's what gailey used to do when he was in the pros... No prob...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ylojk8:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Per NCAA rules, the players are excused from classes today. Leave at 10:00 get a practice (light obviously) out there, instead of meetings here and a walk thru here. Anyone who thinks "it's just a mind game" is more naive than I can imagine. It's the attention to all the little details that matters most in a game like this. I expect it. Prediction: BYU 27 Us 10</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gnome, the only way it'd be even possible for them to get "acclimated" in one practice would be to make the run hard. Obviously, the day before the game you don't want to run anyone hard. Full body recovery takes 48 hours. Thank about these things before sounding ignorant. Sounds like your TRYING to find things to complain about Gailey, not matter the severity. Gimme a break.

The "acclimation" issue was discussed on the Hive in depth by people who are experts from cycling and other sports.

When adjusting to altitude changes there are basically two scenarios that will prevent the altitude change from really affecting you.

1)Get out there at least 2 weeks prior to the sporting event.

2)Get there only a day before.

If you get there a day before, your body will not be impacted by the change nearly as much as compared to getting there 3 days earlier and actually practicing in the higher altitutde. I guess your body isn't smart enough to realize the change after only a day.

In my experience of skiing out west for many years i would agree. I don't notice the altitude too much on the first day. It is the end of the week that kills you.

Originally posted by BEESerk:
The "acclimation" issue was discussed on the Hive in depth by people who are experts from cycling and other sports.

When adjusting to altitude changes there are basically two scenarios that will prevent the altitude change from really affecting you.

1)Get out there at least 2 weeks prior to the sporting event.

2)Get there only a day before.

If you get there a day before, your body will not be impacted by the change nearly as much as compared to getting there 3 days earlier and actually practicing in the higher altitutde. I guess your body isn't smart enough to realize the change after only a day.

In my experience of skiing out west for many years i would agree. I don't notice the altitude too much on the first day. It is the end of the week that kills you.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BEESerk.. is that the altitude or a weeks worth of the sudsy stuff?...

All good observations about the timing and the O2. Science - BIO 101, body needs it, there is less, take the bottles. On the field, where between play recovery is critical, the O2 really does get a little short in the 4th quarter. Keep players fresh and rotated. On flying in the day before...smart move. It's not a difficult trip, not like getting to Starkville on 2 lane highways (LOL). It's about a 4.5 hour flight to SLC on Delta usualy (hubs in both cities) and then a 45 minute bus ride to provo, freeway all the way. The sad part about of 4:30 flight is the kids in the window seats might miss a lot of the beauty that is the Rocky Mountain region by air. That part of Utah is an Alpine region with big ag valleys and magnificent mountains. It's a little early for fall colors or an early dusting of snow which is a bummer. But many of TECH's kids will see the 9-12,000 foot peaks rising above the Stadium, many seeing a real Alpine mountain for the first time and it truly is magnificent to see. Keeping focused may be a bit more of a problem. It's a fun exciting trip for a 20 year old that's never seen much more than Macon County and regions round about!

Geez, people, we're talking about an elevation difference of only 3000ft. It ain't like we're playing on top of Denali!!!

The only people affected by a 3000 ft elevation change are those with heart conditions and chronic lung disease. Most of our players don't fall into this catagory.

I am a triathlete living in Denver. What I find when I go to lower altitudes is that I see no benefit if the humidity is high. If the humidity is low, then I can get a boost for a few days. Not sure why this is, but it is my expereince.

Given the relatively small difference in altitude (3000 feet) and the much lower humidity in Provo, I don't think the guys will have too much of a problem.

I appreciate all of the previous information regarding altitude etc...but in my experience, players are not in game shape because the games are 10 times faster than practice. They are usually more tired in first games quicker because not used to game speed especially the FRESHMAN. The thin air is an issue from the football players who played out there (especially a first game of the season, probably seems even thinner), just ask Travis Hall who was on the radio last week (Falcons DL, played at BYU). All I was saying that it would have been prudent since they dont have to go to class to get out there, bring the oxygen tanks (hell, you need them at Grant Field during the first game), and get your walkthroughs etc out there. These freshman, and we will have a lot on defense playing on the line, dont know what's coming as Gailey said yesterday. I agree. And if he is keeping his team healthy and ready for 4 quarters, then rotating is important. We dont have that luxury of rotating experienced players, so they may not be able to rotate as much. They will need oxygen for the 4th quarter legs. Trust me. thanks, done with this one on to the game plan...

With all the talk about O2, it's sodium, potassium (the electrolytes) that determine the ability to unleash energy so proper hydration with the right mix of salts is important. The reason humid air makes a difference is that it carries more moisture and free O2 than dryer air. It now looks like the recent monsoonal flows are past. Therefore,the dry air will set in so it feels like an iron in your chest when running. Humidity helps the lungs, but hinders the body's ability to disipate heat. Heat loss will be no problem. However a player use to the tacky comfort of his sweat beading might work harder thinking he should be sweating, when in fact his aspirating skin will dry before it can bead up. He gets a false psychological measurement of his effort, thinking he isn't working as hard and so there must be something wrong. I've seen players make the comment, I'm not even sweating yet, when in fact they are, but it evaporates too quickly for them to notice. It takes body heat with it. The loss of too much body heat can make a player feel drained and chilled as well. I've seen players standing in the sun, walk into the shade (in Las Vegas that can be a 30 degree difference it's so dry) and get goosebumps.

Back