We can't have nice things *former OG thread

Watch him on film. Most of the time he was drive blocking anyway, and he was really damn good at it. Playing OL in our old scheme was really difficult, so I'd argue that it should make our guys more attractive prospects, not less. His weight might be an issue in terms of NFL potential, but he's an excellent college player. 2nd best GT OL I've ever seen.

Playing in the TO was not particularly difficult as an OL.

It does not make our guys more attractive prospects.

Would love to meet you at a tailgate some day to show you why the TO was öööö (at least the way it was run here) and why you should give it up.

No it won’t. This was a giant mistake if it’s for football reasons.
It might. It could be similar to the reason to get your MS from a different school than your BS: additional alumni base, new professors (i.e. coaches) to support you, second brand on your resume, etc. As long as the brand is equivalent or better (you go to MIT and not uGA), you’re likely better off.

It might. It could be similar to the reason to get your MS from a different school than your BS: additional alumni base, new professors (i.e. coaches) to support you, second brand on your resume, etc. As long as the brand is equivalent or better (you go to MIT and not uGA), you’re likely better off.

It’s a mistake if he’s leaving for football reasons. If he’s going to get extra schooling because he couldn’t get in to a grad program at Tech, then it’s not a mistake.

But if he’s looking to improve his draft status for the NFL, he’s better off playing spring football, with a team he knows, at a place he knows, with people he knows, with a coach who consistently puts OL into the NFL, at a school that receives national attention and TV time.

Last edited:
It’s a mistake if he’s leaving for football reasons. If he’s going to get extra schooling because he couldn’t get in to a grad program at Tech, then it’s not a mistake.

But if he’s looking to improve his draft status for the NFL, he’s better off playing spring football, with a team he knows, at a place he knows, with people he knows, with a coach who consistently puts OL into the NFL, at a school that receives national attention and TV time.
If he had a problem getting into grad school, he could have stayed at Tech as an undergrad. There’s no requirement to graduate when you hit the credit limit. Just stay enrolled and take electives on a pass/fail basis.

If he had a problem getting into grad school, he could have stayed at Tech as an undergrad. There’s no requirement to graduate when you hit the credit limit. Just stay enrolled and take electives on a pass/fail basis.

Correct. Unless he wants to get a second degree. If that’s the case, then it makes sense.

I'm very curious about this statement given your experience. Am I correct in saying that the above wouldn't apply if we hadn't changed coaching staffs, in your opinion?

Would love to meet you at a tailgate some day to show you why the TO was öööö (at least the way it was run here) and why you should give it up.
I've got my thoughts, would be interested to hear yours. Simple enough for PMs or should I bring a white board and beers to the spring game tailgate?

Correct. Unless he wants to get a second degree. If that’s the case, then it makes sense.

Something I’ve always been interested about regarding grad transfers: do schools pay for a full MS even if the player runs out of eligibility, and what percent of players actually finish an MS?

The reason I’m asking is that most MS degrees are two or three years. There are a few professional MS degrees (courses only, no dissertation) that can be done in a year, but that requires a full year of a heavy workload that I assume football players can’t complete.

Something I’ve always been interested about regarding grad transfers: do schools pay for a full MS even if the player runs out of eligibility, and what percent of players actually finish an MS?

The reason I’m asking is that most MS degrees are two or three years. There are a few professional MS degrees (courses only, no dissertation) that can be done in a year, but that requires a full year of a heavy workload that I assume football players can’t complete.

No. Unless the coach wants to make you a graduate assistant.

When I got out, out of state tuition was like 63k a year

'Variety of factors" = woman. Welcome to manhood! I don't think he's thinking NFL at all. I think he's thinking grad degree/career (and woman) in which case it's probably a decent personal decision for a young guy. Best of luck to him. Sorry to see him go.

'Variety of factors" = woman. Welcome to manhood! I don't think he's thinking NFL at all. I think he's thinking grad degree/career (and woman) in which case it's probably a decent personal decision for a young guy. Best of luck to him. Sorry to see him go.

he's an idiot if he's making women any part of this decision, or any other non-marital life decision. Atlanta has plenty of women and they'll be around to spend his money and nag the öööö out of him wherever he goes.

Playing in the TO was not particularly difficult as an OL.

It does not make our guys more attractive prospects.

I certainly respect your opinion and your experience, but I think the evidence does not back up your statement. The offense was extremely effective, especially considering the caliber of player we had. The same holds true at every CPJ stop. It puts up points at an extremely efficient rate.

I won't argue with you about its impact on recruiting, though. I have little doubt that CGC is going to improve our recruiting noticeably, both due to scheme and personality.

he's an idiot if he's making women any part of this decision, or any other non-marital life decision. Atlanta has plenty of women and they'll be around to spend his money and nag the öööö out of him wherever he goes.
A woman is the very best reason to make a decision – if it's the right woman.

I made my career decision coming out of Tech at 21 because of the right woman ( I was 20 when we met). We married the same day I went through commencement. Second best thing to happen to me after committing myself to the Lord Jesus Christ at 16. His guidance is how I knew she was the one and still is almost 40 years later. I’m blessed beyond measure with her, our children, their spouses and our grandchildren.

Tech has been a big part of my blessed life as well, and prepared me to excel in the business world. I also got a grad degree from somewhere else, but Tech was by far the bigger impact. I’m thankful for these student athletes and wish them all well, especially those that graduate. That’s by definition what a student athlete is supposed to do and I’m proud it matters to GT.

Thanks Parker and all the best to you for whatever your reasons!

Hot take!

giphy.gif

Back