We got a good, maybe really good, team

I would like to endorse the spirit of the thread opener. Obviously sports is a results-oriented endeavor and losing stinks royally, especially in the fashion that Tech lost this game. With that said, I felt very tepid about the football team coming into this season. My excitement level was probably a 3 on a scale 1-10, and I expected this team to scuttle its way to a very mediocre 6 to 8 win season in a rebuilding year once Mills got dismissed. They entered this game replacing one of the school's better QB's ever (JT) and best game breaking threat, arguably their best player overall (Mills), and with their best A-back very questionable from a health standpoint (Lynch). My expectation was for the offense to really struggle throughout this campaign, especially early on in the year, and for the defense to make fairly modest improvement. When I left that game last night, as frustrating as the result was, my excitement level for the season went up to about an 8 or 9 out of 10, and were it not for one very limiting factor (which I'll touch on later) I might even go so far as to predict that this team will win the ACC Coastal.

Georgia Tech's offense requires a level of savvy and ball handling from the QB and such an intricate about of blocking that it's really difficult for the 3O to be good right out of the box in week one of any given season. When you combine that with the fact Tech's academic standards mean the school takes mostly 3 star kids that the coaching staff has to really coach up hard to reach their potential, you can see why in the past Paul Johnson has been scheduling lesser opponents on the front end of the schedule. As I explain to people, Tech's first 3-4 games of any given year are usually about getting kids coached up and getting the timing and blocking right for the ACC schedule, and it isn't really until the 10th or so game of the season they start to reach the peak of what they can be in any given campaign. Every year is a building process even more so than for a lot of programs around the NCAA.

What we saw last night was arguably the most polished offensive performance from Georgia Tech in any opening game of Paul Johnson's tenure. True, they've crushed scrubs like Elon 70-0 in the past, but if you watched those games carefully, that was more due to a talent disparity than precision in the way the 3O was being run. Last night, Georgia Tech looked to be playing at game ten efficiency in game one of the season, which begs the question of just how good they might be once we get ten games into the year and the staff has a chance to coach them up even more. Marshall looked like he'd been running this offense his entire life, much to my amazement. Based on his limited play and Spring Game appearances, I didn't have a lot of enthusiasm going in for his candidacy as a starter. I did not see last night coming. 249 yards rushing and 5 touchdowns against an SEC blue blood (no matter what you think of the current state of said blue blood's program) in a QB's first ever start is eye popping. At B-back, KirVonte Benson may be every bit as good, if not better, than Mills. He's not as big as Mills and maybe can't take the sustained workload Mills could, but he's quicker and he has really sweet feet. His agility and vision to find little pockets and creases and get those hidden yards up the middle was on full display in the first half last night, in particular. And the offensive line and perimeter blocking were in peak form right out of the gate, too. For whatever you may think of Tennessee, the fact is they're loaded top to bottom with athletes, and their front seven were getting blown 3-4 yards off the play on every single snap of this game. Tech physically dominated Tennessee's defense in a way that every Tech fan should be extremely proud of and it really appears this may be the best O-line of Johnson's 10 years here. I really can't say enough kind things about the way they played last night. They whipped Tennessee's defense's behinds all night long.

Defensively, there's a ton of room for improvement. They played very well in the first half as far as their run fits and tackling and it all went straight to pot in the second half. Guys stopped wrapping up and guys started taking bad angles on quite a few plays. Also, though, Tech had DB's in good position some of Tennessee's athletes just made plays on some jump balls. That happens. Ultimately the biggest disappointment was the lack of a pass rush, and it looks like the team will once again without be any edge rushing presence like every year since Attaochu left. The D-line has the longest way to go as a unit, but I think there's some pieces there. With all that said, though, the D did make enough stops to give Tech not just a chance to win this game but four distinct chances to win this game.

Hit any one of two reasonable-range kicks last night, Tech wins the game.

If JJ Green doesn't put the ball on the deck in the fourth quarter, Tech wins the game.

On the 2 point conversion, if Marshall just cuts outside and runs for the pylon, Tech probably wins the game.

It sucks that they didn't make that one more play to get over the top, but I still walk away from that eager to see them get right back at in on Saturday, because they do have the potential to be a very dynamic and very entertaining team. They just can't allow themselves to go out hang-dogging and feeling sorry for themselves headed into a pretty nasty little trap game against Jacksonville State on 3 day's rest. They gotta get their heads on straight and I really believe that if they get through Saturday they're going to be good the rest of the way. Other than Clemson, nobody on Tech's schedule scares me. You can't tell me there's a huge difference between Tennessee and Georgia. I really think there's not. And, Miami's breaking in a freshman QB, as well. They can compete with anyone on that schedule, possibly even Clemson under the right circumstances.

If it weren't for the fact Georgia Tech has nothing resembling a competent kicker, I'd be swearing before all of you they're the favorite to win the Coastal Division right now. Unfortunately, they've got trash for place kickers and they're probably going to cost us another 1-2 close games before season's end. Someone texted me after the game to ask why Tech didn't put in the freshman kicker instead. Anybody who watched warmups before either half knows the answer. They're both terrible. The warm ups before the second half were obscene. I don't think either kid made a single kick. Short, long, left, right, or middle: they pretty much missed them all. In warmups. It was horrible. I think there's a solution to the kick off problem. From what I've read, they have had Harvin practice some at taking kick offs. The kid's obviously got a big leg. I'd be having him take kick offs from here on out, because he should be able to get pretty good at it. The place kicking, though? I don't see a solution to it. I've never in my life seen kicking this bad. Never. That Bulovas kid really screwed them over by flipping at the last minute. It's frustrating, and there may be no way to fix the problem until next year.

On the 2 point conversion, if Marshall just cuts outside and runs for the pylon, Tech probably wins the game.

Maybe. But watch it again. An early pitch is a wide open TD for Benson.

The play was well designed, and if executed even halfway decently it would have won it for us. But I think we outsmarted ourselves by not doing something from the base O. And TQM had it in his mind that the game was his to win. Not faulting him, really. He was carrying us and wasn't trying to be a showboater, just thought he was unstoppable and forgot to run the whole offense on the play.

Maybe. But watch it again. An early pitch is a wide open TD for Benson.

The play was well designed, and if executed even halfway decently it would have won it for us. But I think we outsmarted ourselves by not doing something from the base O. And TQM had it in his mind that the game was his to win. Not faulting him, really. He was carrying us and wasn't trying to be a showboater, just thought he was unstoppable and forgot to run the whole offense on the play.
He basically said as much when interviewed after the game. Said he was being selfish but he owns up to it.

Rewatched most of the game, but have to call it a night.

Tennessee looked poorly coached and aside from a few studs, only above average talent on defense. I think Miami, VT, and Clemson will be better prepared with equal-to-or-better athletes.

T. Marshall has all the skills to pick up right where J. Thomas left off. I hope that first opener doesn't go to his head, Jax State can jump up and bite you.

K. Benson is solid. Really liked what I saw.

OL was pushing their guys around. Aside from a few big, costly whiffs, they generally moved the LOS 2-3 yards and the back could fall forward and get 5 yards per carry.

WR looked pretty good. Good blocks by B. Stewart. R. Juene had a great run after the catch.

ABacks were good. Quite a bit of good perimeter blocking. N. Cottrell looked fast. Q. Searcy is a stud - great catch.

Defense was confusing. D-Line looked really good on several plays, but were absent for some big downs. Branch made some plays early, but didn't see much late. We did a good job of reading screens, but still got burned on a few even though we knew it was coming.

Secondary was good, but slacked off on the long YAC play. A.J. Gray almost knocked himself out.

V. Alexander laid a lick, otherwise I think LB played luke warm. Mostly piling on.

Special Teams was terrible. This unit will cost us more games. 2 missed FG, crap kickoffs, crap kickoff coverage. P. Harvin was good, but we can't have a shank when we need a monster punt. Kickoff returns were crap. Punt returns were predictable with B. Stewart mostly fair catching. Honestly, I wouldn't mind CPJ onside kicking every time and going for every 4th down inside the 50.

No real issues on the offensive playcalling. We ran the ball 34 times in a row scoring 2 TDs and then throwing the incompletion to set up a missed FG. 86 rushing attempts in the game. I'd have been fine with every single play being a run call. We were mashing them on the line.

Defense, seemed like we softened up too much too early. Too bendy between the 20's and we never bowed our necks to force a FG in the redzone. So, it was a bend-then-break defense.

I'm still OK with my over on 6.5 wins, but winning that one would have locked it. I think we play with too many mistakes to forecast 8 or more wins.

Good news is the game exposed some deficiencies and the loss ensures we won't get over this sour taste until they are addressed. Hopefully King will be 100% soon and at least an average kicker. There isn't much we can fix if that position just doesn't have the goods.

Tennessee was not good at defending the rush last season, they lost some talent, and had players gone from their defense for the opener. Tech had a great offensive night on Monday, but I'm still wary about declaring this game a reliable indicator for our offense. We will see some much better defenses as the season progresses. On the other hand, the Tennessee offense was very good last year, and might turn out to be one of the better offenses we face this season. I suspect our offense is good but will need to get better, and our defense might actually be OK. I like the way our schedule starts out in September with a pair of very winnable games allowing us to get the special teams on track, and then home games against Pitt and UNC, as both looked vulnerable in their openers.

I think we outsmarted ourselves by not doing something from the base O.

That was a play from our base offense. One that had worked all night. Counter option. And we had a very favorable look.

Our base is pretty much veer, midline, counter, rocket toss, and some PA off those plays. We just ööööed up the execution of blocking for a counter at the worst moment possible.

That was a play from our base offense. One that had worked all night. Counter option. And we had a very favorable look.

Our base is pretty much veer, midline, counter, rocket toss, and some PA off those plays. We just ööööed up the execution of blocking for a counter at the worst moment possible.

Fair enough. Formation wasn't base but it was a counter O. Don't know if it would be blocked any differently if from base formation. Certainly lack of WR to the right and lack of motion pre snap changed the defenses eyes. I think the only difference might be if the short side WR from base would crack back or block their man straight up or run a route to take them away from the play.

Don't know if it would be blocked any differently if from base formation. Certainly lack of WR to the right and lack of motion pre snap changed the defenses eyes. I think the only difference might be if the short side WR from base would crack back or block their man straight up or run a route to take them away from the play.

It's hard to say what would have happened from a balanced flex, but counter option is usually run with the playside AB in pre-snap twirl motion from that set. Between the BB and the AB, one keeps the pitch relationship with the QB while the other picks up the playside safety, depending on the specific playcall.

We went with a slot receiver to the left instead, so that UT's secondary would be forced to shift over to the backside of the play. It gave us our numbers to the right without relying on an AB to block a safety on a small field. And the slot reciever did go in motion to indicate a play to the opposite side, but I don't think it particularly fooled them.

Like I said, we just screwed up the blocking. The RT is never supposed to reach for the DE on that play. He is supposed to get a clean release inside to pick up the MLB. But he decided to chip out the DE for some reason. That took him a step too wide, just out of position to block the Mike, and it knocked the DE wide of where he's supposed to be met by the pulling LG.

Like I said, we just screwed up the blocking. The RT is never supposed to reach for the DE on that play. He is supposed to get a clean release inside to pick up the MLB. But he decided to chip out the DE for some reason. That took him a step too wide, just out of position to block the Mike, and it knocked the DE wide of where he's supposed to be met by the pulling LG.

I still think the blocking assignments were correct. RT attempted to block the MLB and whiffed and the pulling guard missed the block on the DE because marshall cut it up inside. If marshall stays outside then it is just him and benson against the OLB which should be an easy score.

I still think the blocking assignments were correct. RT attempted to block the MLB and whiffed...

The RT whiffed on the Mike because he engaged the DE off the line. He couldn't change direction in time get to the LB. That was the initial mental error that started all the dominoes falling.

...and the pulling guard missed the block on the DE because marshall cut it up inside. If marshall stays outside then it is just him and benson against the OLB which should be an easy score.

That's true, but the edge-sealing block didn't happen when and where it was supposed to, because the DE was out wider than planned. This disrupted TaQuon's read just enough to bait him inside, even though the LG didn't actually miss his block at all, and Marshall really could have stretched the play out.

But that comes with in-game experience.

UT looks like they have some special athletes at the skill positions as well as a big OL. It makes sense to me our undersized DL wore down in the 4th quarter against UT's OL. If we can kick FGs or hold onto the danged ball, we win the game in regulation and we are all here saying the D looked improved. To totally öööö on the D and Ted Roof is just being a salty Tech fan that didnt notice the sun did indeed come up today.
How many minutes was the D on the field? Not encouraging.

The RT whiffed on the Mike because he engaged the DE off the line. He couldn't change direction in time get to the LB. That was the initial mental error that started all the dominoes falling.

The block on the MLB doesn't even matter. The MLB was way too far away to get to where the play was going. RT has to keep the MLB from getting outside and he did that. Marshall has to stay outside the block on DE. It wasn't as far outside as you are making sound. I am not even sure the RT chipped the DE as much as the DE tried to hold up the RT.

The block on the MLB doesn't even matter. The MLB was way too far away to get to where the play was going. RT has to keep the MLB from getting outside and he did that. Marshall has to stay outside the block on DE. It wasn't as far outside as you are making sound. I am not even sure the RT chipped the DE as much as the DE tried to hold up the RT.

The block on the MLB does matter. At the end of the play, he was in there to help clean it up even if TaQuon got past the DE. It's important to keep the Mike from flowing to the playside for the counter option to work reliably. If the Mike isn't blocked, it's much harder to cut back upfield inside of the pitch key after the LG walls off the DE and sets the edge.

What's more important, though, is the block on the DE and its timing. TaQuon initiated his cut upfield before the LG even started to get his block down, because that block was already supposed to have happened. It was late because the RT didn't get off the line cleanly.

If you listen to CPJ's explanation of the play, he mentions not getting a clean inside release and how it disrupted the play's blocking. If you listen to what TaQuon said, he was initially looking to get around the edge, but it wasn't set where he expected it to be.

The block on the MLB does matter. At the end of the play, he was in there to help clean it up even if TaQuon got past the DE. It's important to keep the Mike from flowing to the playside for the counter option to work reliably. If the Mike isn't blocked, it's much harder to cut back upfield inside of the pitch key after the LG walls off the DE and sets the edge.

What's more important, though, is the block on the DE and its timing. TaQuon initiated his cut upfield before the LG even started to get his block down, because that block was already supposed to have happened. It was late because the RT didn't get off the line cleanly.

If you listen to CPJ's explanation of the play, he mentions not getting a clean inside release and how it disrupted the play's blocking. If you listen to what TaQuon said, he was initially looking to get around the edge, but it wasn't set where he expected it to be.

Maybe you should watch the play again.

Oh man, I did not need that in gif format.

Is it feeling drinky in here to anyone else?

Oh man, I did not need that in gif format.

Is it feeling drinky in here to anyone else?
i keep watching it saying "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch." and......... "pitch."

Back