We got a good, maybe really good, team

The best way I can describe my feelings on the 2pt conversion is to compare it to Bebe's dropped pass in 2009 against UGA. I mean, he had it. It was there. Both plays, you watch them develop, you know the right play got called and for a split second you don't understand what happened.

And then you get a drink.

The best way I can describe my feelings on the 2pt conversion is to compare it to Bebe's dropped pass in 2009 against UGA. I mean, he had it. It was there. Both plays, you watch them develop, you know the right play got called and for a split second you don't understand what happened.

I thought it was stephen hill who ööööed us that game

If you want to see how the OL is supposed to block on a counter option play, watch this:

Things to note:

- Playside tackle (LT) dips his outside shoulder for a clean inside release. This causes the playside DE to step down into the gap.

- Pulling guard (RG) sets the edge very quickly. As in, as quickly as possible, because the counter is supposed to be a quick-hitting play.

- QB turns upfield immediately after getting past the edge-setting block. This presses the pitch key (OLB) to make the first move and give a clean read.

Compare this film study with the attempted two-point conversion. Granted, it's not the exact same play, but it clearly demonstrates the issues I mentioned.

Yep. Great analogy.

If you want to see how the OL is supposed to block on a counter option play, watch this:

Things to note:

- Playside tackle (LT) dips his outside shoulder for a clean inside release. This causes the playside DE to step down into the gap.

- Pulling guard (RG) sets the edge very quickly. As in, as quickly as possible, because the counter is supposed to be a quick-hitting play.

- QB turns upfield immediately after getting past the edge-setting block. This presses the pitch key (OLB) to make the first move and give a clean read.

Compare this film study with the attempted two-point conversion. Granted, it's not the exact same play, but it clearly demonstrates the issues I mentioned.

It is a different front with Miami doing different things. The biggest difference is the Miami DE is playing a 5 while the Tennessee guy is playing a 4. It is much easier to get a clean release off of a 5 than a 4. If all of our plays blew up because of a chip at the line we would never score again. Also compare the distances. Nesbitt pitches at about 9-10 yards left of center. Marshall cuts up about 10 yards right of center. Stretching it an extra yard or 2 doesn't doom the play. The block was gonna be there and Marshall has to get outside of it.

Here's the play.

I've already watched it far too many times, including breaking down key still frames.

GT_loses.0.gif

It is a different front with Miami doing different things.

Yes, it's an odd front, but the principles are still the same. The 4 vs. 5 technique does not change the playside count. The playside tackle needs to get a clean release, even if it's a harder assignment against a 4. The clean release gives the tackle the correct angle to his LB assignment, and it draws the DE into the correct gap.

The play is designed to bait the DE into an instinctive "block down, step down" reaction. Actively engaging the DE tells him to flow to the playside instead.

Look, there is a reason CPJ specifically mentioned this blown assignment when asked about the play.

If all of our plays blew up because of a chip at the line we would never score again.

Yes, there are ways to react and correct for that within the play. I'm just saying that it throws the timing of the play off, messes with everyone's footwork on the playside, and it greatly reduces the odds of success. All of the mistakes made on that play impacted the result together.

The block was gonna be there and Marshall has to get outside of it.

I agree. Like I said, that comes with experience. A muddled read does not help a QB in his first start, especially under that kind of pressure.

You want to place the lion's share of the blame on TaQuon because he made a bad read. I'm saying that some of the blame lies at the feet of the RT, because he did not execute his assignment correctly in support of an inexperienced QB.

You are pointing exclusively at the last domino in the chain. I am simply pointing out the existence of the first domino. Both are causally linked to the result and important to consider.

You guys have reached the tender sincere conversation phase of the evening. Time to get a room.

D still can't manufacture a TO or a negative play.

Because the defensive coordinator doesn't try. They just sit back and get picked part. "Wait for the offense to make a mistake" says the defensive plan, when in reality the opposing offense isn't remotely forced anywhere close to a mistake."

You jest, but you accidentally made a point. Jordan could have been brought in to run a follow behind Devine and Benson to get the 2 points. It might have worked.
Or just hand to Benson since he is stronger than both

Back