We need a big name

gtGreg768b

Elemenopee
I've been thinking about our new head Coach. I firmly believe we need a big name. Other schools have and are doing it. SC went with Steve Spurrier and Lou Holtz, NC has gone with Mack Brown, and the list goes on and on. We need a name. One that students in high school can connect with. One that can open up doors. One that brings instant credibility to our program.

I know this will never happen, but I'm going to use this person as my example as to how it would work. Lets introduce as our new Head Coach, Wait for it....Peyton Manning. So in a dream world we get him. Instantly our program is the buzz of the country. Every sports outlet will be talking about it for months. His name opens up any door to any recruit in the country. If your a 5 star QB why would you not want to come to Georgia Tech and learn from him. recruiting would take an immediate jump and I would dare to say we might even pull in a top 10 class the first year. Ratings on TV would go up and our program would not be getting 12 noon starts. We would be on every spotlight in the country. Fans would buy season tickets and all the sudden a Tech ticket would be a hot item again. It would create an instant buzz. (couldn't resist that) Football would again generate more money which would allow our program to pay more and build the type of program to equal the puppies down the road! Now instead of people talking about them they would be talking about us. Its fun to think about anyway. What would a name do for us?

Now like I said I don't really see that happening but a big name like that would instantly open up doors never thought possible. Just for fun I wonder what it would take per year to get someone like that? 9-10 million?

Also just for fun what other big name coaches or people out there can we list and why it would benefit our program. I mean Why not? If we put up some money why could we not do something like this?
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt is a big name

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
John Harbaugh! Super Bowl Winning Coach. The Ravens are known for defense, he has great NFL connections. I think he would be great, and we would play Michigan too.

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like
Nah. We need:
  1. A tireless recruiter that can sell ice cubes to eskimos and brings in coaches that do the same
  2. A manager that doesnt beat himself in gameday coaching
  3. A visionary that knows when to differentiate our brand and when to blend in, and can pressure administrators accordingly
A big name is next to worthless.
Uh oh

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Art Briles wouldn’t have lost to Citadel.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Pray to God that those making post like the OP are judged the same way at their job after 3 days of employment.

techronnie

Varsity Lurker
I've been thinking about our new head Coach. I firmly believe we need a big name. Other schools have and are doing it. SC went with Steve Spurrier and Lou Holtz, NC has gone with Mack Brown, and the list goes on and on. We need a name. One that students in high school can connect with. One that can open up doors. One that brings instant credibility to our program.

I know this will never happen, but I'm going to use this person as my example as to how it would work. Lets introduce as our new Head Coach, Wait for it....Peyton Manning. So in a dream world we get him. Instantly our program is the buzz of the country. Every sports outlet will be talking about it for months. His name opens up any door to any recruit in the country. If your a 5 star QB why would you not want to come to Georgia Tech and learn from him. recruiting would take an immediate jump and I would dare to say we might even pull in a top 10 class the first year. Ratings on TV would go up and our program would not be getting 12 noon starts. We would be on every spotlight in the country. Fans would buy season tickets and all the sudden a Tech ticket would be a hot item again. It would create an instant buzz. (couldn't resist that) Football would again generate more money which would allow our program to pay more and build the type of program to equal the puppies down the road! Now instead of people talking about them they would be talking about us. Its fun to think about anyway. What would a name do for us?

Now like I said I don't really see that happening but a big name like that would instantly open up doors never thought possible. Just for fun I wonder what it would take per year to get someone like that? 9-10 million?

Also just for fun what other big name coaches or people out there can we list and why it would benefit our program. I mean Why not? If we put up some money why could we not do something like this?
You do realize Collins has a seven (7) year contract and is not going anywhere!