We pulled the scholly for Everson!?????

And probably never will. In the past losing a 4 star recruit would have severely impacted our recruiting class, but we have enough quality depth this time around to absorb it. We have a lot of great DB recruits, at least on paper.

Looks to me like they are making sure they can show Peters & Lewis that there is room available, while unloading a kid that was dicking around with them. That's a hell of alot better than having to make that decision right before signing day, pulling someone else's offer and losing Everson too.

This guy just seemed like the real deal. Definitely not someone you would just pull a scholly from unless you really knew something bad. Was really looking forward to seeing him on the flats. Oh well I guess, life goes on :)

yes is very interesting. Guess it sends a message loud and clear to the rest of the recruits & the ones that are "lingering" on the fence. "It's a all or nothing" and guess they'd had enough. I was shocked when I just read the story. I must say that I hope that M. Lewis or J. Peters steps in to fill that scholarship.
Is an interesting move to say the least though...Wonder what happened.
Here's the article:
Tech withdraws offer to Detroit’s Everson

By Matt Winkeljohn
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/24/07 08:18 AM
Latest news
Georgia Tech’s list of committed players dropped to 18 Tuesday night, when coaches called Detroit speedster Cedric Everson and withdrew the scholarship offer they made months ago.
Everson, ranked the No. 17 “athlete” in the nation by Rivals.com and No. 27 cornerback by Scout.com, is noted for his outstanding speed, but he’s been intolerably slow to respond to calls from Tech coaches for several weeks.
He also made an unexpected visit to the University of Iowa in December fall after committing to Tech in October, although his father, Cedric Sr., explained that the visit was in connection with a funeral the family attended. When scheduling problems arose this week as Yellow Jackets coach Chan Gailey tried to set up an in-home meeting with Everson, staff officials decided to pull his offer.
Tech is still recruiting two players, Oxnard, Calif., “athlete” Malachi Lewis and Baton Rouge, La., defensive end Jason Peters.
The Jackets can take both, in part because one of those commitments, Houston wide receiver Tyler Melton, will not count against this year’s scholarship numbers if he does not enroll full-time until next January as expected while rehabilitating from reconstructive knee surgery.
If Tech lands only one of these two players, Gailey’s staff may not sign another.

What a shame this was the fastest kid in Michigan, I would like to see to how much disinterest he really had or if there was another factor that caused the staff to pull the scholly. Hate to lose our fastest recruit, speed is a great equalizer.

But you can't always over look or ignore "signs" of disrespect or character issues b/c if it's been a problem on the front end, then you could be inviting "trouble" in the years to come. But I agree there is more to the story than what has made it to "print". I hope all current/potential recruits take notice that the waivering committs will not be tolerated beyond a certain point.
At some point you as a coaching staff have to let them know that "you the coach/staff are still in charge" & that they nor their family can run over you & have it all your way (it's not Burger King)....

A little taste of irony?

Ok, so we just pulled a 'ship from Everson. It appears that he might have been interested in another school. Obviously there is more info than what was printed in the AJC, so I am sure there was a very good reason to pull it, as I trust our staff. They wouldn't just throw away a 4 star recruit for nothing.

However, listening to some of the postings both here and on the hive, many people are saying how "we are showing all our other recruits that they can't mess around on us." Everyone is saying kudos to CCG and staff for sending out this message.

Isn't it just a bit ironic though that Chan was just in the same situation himself? (this is not a bashing post, so please dont respond with that) We are telling these kids that they made a commitment to us, so they better not flirt with anyone else. But yet Chan just went out for two job opportunities.

I think the same reasons that were used for Chan (they contacted him, it is about his life, etc), could be applied to Everson. He has a big decision to make, and looks like he was making it. Just as Gailey did.

As I said, there is most likely a great reason the ship was pulled. I just find a bit of irony in some of the responses from posters about the message we are trying to send...

Gailey kept in contact with everyone about the situation; Cedric hasn't and won't talk to the GT coaches for a good while now.

Good Point S Money. I didn't really look at it that way. However, it's getting close to signing day & we need a clear feeling of are you in or out. I can't help but think there's more to this situation.
Again I understand your point. However, maybe Everson wasn't holding up his end of the deal w/ items of discussion between himself & the coaches. Perhaps he was even given options but decided to operate outside of those arrangements.....Guess we have to "trust" the coaches that they've thought this one through & made a decision based on their evaluations. I wouldn't think that it was a decision that was made suddenly or w/o much thought/consideration.....Maybe the coaches feel really good about our chances w/ Peters & Lewis....Gain 2 while losing one they felt could've made a last minute switch on signing day...especially w/ our scholarship limitations....

Man, can you guys imagine how bad the reaction from Tech fans would have been if this happened to us last year?

We sure have come a long way in recruiting.

I made a comment a long time back about (1)our ability to hold onto all of our commits and (2)also fantasizing about their use next yr and was slamed like a punching bag for "suggesting" such a thing ,that we might lose anybody. well, DUH!Reality bites.

Considering these three points in the ajc article I can see why the scholly was pulled.

...but he’s been intolerably slow to respond to calls from Tech coaches for several weeks.

...He also made an unexpected visit to the University of Iowa in December after committing to Tech in October.

...scheduling problems arose this week as Yellow Jackets coach Chan Gailey tried to set up an in-home meeting with Everson.

Appears that GT felt that Everson was pulling away and they want a spot for Lewis or Peters (or both).

I was told he really let his grades slip this year and was not going to get into school, along with some other "character" issues that have arisen. I guess we will never truely know the truth unless someone goes to the signing day celebration and asks the question to CCG himself.

Coach,

The SOP in the past has been that the PSA's who don't sign with GT (for whatever reason) generally aren't discussed at signing day.

Pretty good policy, iyam.

Knowing how much we wanted and invested in him, I'm sure the coaches considered revoking the scholarship offer a last resort.

This batch of recruits are a very close-knit group. The last thing we need is someone who, for whatever reason, doesn't fit in.

Kudos to the staff for taking a stand. He'll play for someone but if you want to play for Tech, you'll do it on our terms and conditions. Apparently, Mr. Everson failed to comply with those terms and I wish him well accordingly.

Buzzfan said:
Coach,

The SOP in the past has been that the PSA's who don't sign with GT (for whatever reason) generally aren't discussed at signing day.

Pretty good policy, iyam.
Wouldn't they fall under the NCAA rules where you CAN'T talk about them? Coaches aren't allowed to talk about specific recruits until they sign the LOI.

Everson has been the most skiddish(sp?) commit from the beginning. He said he was going to announce in August before football season started and then didn't announce until very late in football season.

I think the contrast with Chan's situation and Everson's situation was clear. Chan kept all channels open with recruits and tried to pursue the Miami job while doing the least harm possible to Tech. Everson has apparently been unresponsive to calls from the staff and took a visit to Iowa while being committed to Tech. The staff might have been fine with the visit if they were notified of it, but not even telling them about it was too much.

here is the deal with Everson...

first...I have said to everyone since the beginning that whatever came out of the Everson's mouth meant nothing until he signed the dotted line on Feb. 7. His parents have not been honest on many different occasions...just ask UCLA.

We have bent over backwards to make this relationship work...and clearly laid out the expectations prior to signing day.

As communication did break down...the reason was discovered and it turns out Cedric did not take care of business in the classroom this fall. Every recruit knows that have to fulfill certain class and grade requirements. He kept saying it was not a problem....then silence...then our discovery that there was a problem.

Sure..he can go somewhere else and it may work out for him....I wish him the best. GT is just not a good fit.

Back