Weekend Before Rivalry Week: How DUMB is the ACC?

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
http://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule/_/week/12

Everyone loves Rivalry Weekend. We wait all year to see how well we can compete against historic rivals. It's usually best to have a tune-up game before your big regular season finale, right?

Look at how the SEC is set up this year then compare it to the ACC's scheduling brainfart.

SEC: 100% Cupcake City (very smart)
Bama plays Citadel
Auburn plays Liberty
UGA plays UMASS
South Carolina plays Chattanooga
Kentucky plays MTSU
Florida plays Idaho

ACC: 0% Cupcakes (extremely stooopid)
Clemson plays Duke
Georgia Tech plays Virginia
Virginia Tech plays Miami
Louisville plays NC State
Florida State plays Boston College

One would think the ACC leadership would want to put their best foot forward on rivalry weekend. Is there a reason behind this scheduling stupidity other than stupidity itself?

I'm sure the ACC sold out to TV $$$ for good conference match ups this weekend. Gotsta make those dollas, yo.

I'm sure the ACC sold out to TV $$$ for good conference match ups this weekend. Gotsta make those dollas, yo.
This is what happened. With the SEC playing a bunch of garbage games, the ACC can monopolize the prime time games. Same reason you see more ACC games on Thursday and Friday than SEC games.

I really hate cupcake games after the first couple of weeks of the season. Maybe the ACC schedule doesn't make the most sense competitively, but as a fan, it means there are games I might actually want to watch.

JRjr

http://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule/_/week/12

Everyone loves Rivalry Weekend. We wait all year to see how well we can compete against historic rivals. It's usually best to have a tune-up game before your big regular season finale, right?

Look at how the SEC is set up this year then compare it to the ACC's scheduling brainfart.

SEC: 100% Cupcake City (very smart)
Bama plays Citadel
Auburn plays Liberty
UGA plays UMASS
South Carolina plays Chattanooga
Kentucky plays MTSU
Florida plays Idaho

ACC: 0% Cupcakes (extremely stooopid)
Clemson plays Duke
Georgia Tech plays Virginia
Virginia Tech plays Miami
Louisville plays NC State
Florida State plays Boston College

One would think the ACC leadership would want to put their best foot forward on rivalry weekend. Is there a reason behind this scheduling stupidity other than stupidity itself?

I agree with your concerns here, but ACC probably don’t care all that much since most rivalries are in conference. Only us and Clemson go out of conference, right?

I agree with your concerns here, but ACC probably don’t care all that much since most rivalries are in conference. Only us and Clemson go out of conference, right?
And FSU.

From another perspective, we're the smart ones bc we get all the eyeballs. Casual fans would rather watch any of the ACC in-conference games than the SEC cupcakes.

The only reason it's bad is if you think a better team will leave your team more physically exhausted/injured before the final game. But I bet the stats on that are really pretty weak.

Duke is a cupcake. UVA is a cupcake. Virginia Tech vs. Miami is going to look like two cupcakes humping one another for an hour. MTSU would probably beat both Louisville and FSU.

+ FSU + Louisville. Not an insignificant almost 1/3 of the conference. Throw on in conference matchups with UVA-VPI and UNC-NCST.

Definitely all about the TV dollars though. The order of games for most SEC teams is set every year with very little deviation. That doesn't happen in the ACC. Without looking it seems like more ACC teams are playing more multiple non Saturday games in a season.

Definitely grateful just to get another non noon kickoff!

We will not be playing our starters after Quarter 3 this weekend. UVA is going to look like high schoolers on d this weekend. And the D will create a couple TO’s. Jackets win big.

According to my SEC friends the entire ACC, sans Clemson, are cupcakes. Prior week opponents will make no difference.

According to my SEC friends the entire ACC, sans Clemson, are cupcakes. Prior week opponents will make no difference.

That’s the biggest difference between SEC and ACC (other than Alabama). Their fans have mastered the art of talking up the entire conference when dealing with outsiders. ACC fans spend their time bashing conference schools.

Vanderbilt, the Mississippi schools, Arkansas, Tennessee, USC all suck. Missouri and Auburn are at best mediocre as is Florida. Kentucky is having a decent year but it’s like Wake when they had that really good qb - they will return to sucking every year when he’s gone. That leaves Bama, LSU and georgia and maybe A&M as the 4 teams actually worth a damn, and A&M probably doesn’t belong there.

So 3 and maybe 4 schools worth a öööö. You’d never know it listening to the fans of any of those schools.

That’s the biggest difference between SEC and ACC (other than Alabama). Their fans have mastered the art of talking up the entire conference when dealing with outsiders. ACC fans spend their time bashing conference schools.

Vanderbilt, the Mississippi schools, Arkansas, Tennessee, USC all suck. Missouri and Auburn are at best mediocre as is Florida. Kentucky is having a decent year but it’s like Wake when they had that really good qb - they will return to sucking every year when he’s gone. That leaves Bama, LSU and georgia and maybe A&M as the 4 teams actually worth a damn, and A&M probably doesn’t belong there.

So 3 and maybe 4 schools worth a öööö. You’d never know it listening to the fans of any of those schools.
Yeah, but unfortunately the SEC will probably make the ACC look bad on rivalry weekend. Clemson over SC is surely the only game where the ACC will be favored. UK/Louisville could be a real bloodbath.

Back