Well, I feel better about our recruiting

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Not because it has picked up or we got a committ, but because Coach Gailey shed some light on it. Here's what he said today; We are going after 75-80 youngsters who we have 'evaluated' as being able to help our program & handle the academics here at Tech(I get the feeling grad rates enter the formula). This list is qualified & approved (by who & why?).
There's only a handful of Ga players on this list. It is a down yr as far as Ga goes. Some Ga players who were on this list & are qualified have committed elsewhere. He says we are getting a good response from these 75-80 players. Don't necessarily go by the lists people have down here as we are after players from other areas that the people down here haven't heard of.
We are in with a huge OT from Wisconsin who is 6'7 270. People down here haven't heard of him, but Colorado knows about him & Michigan knows about him. He wants to come here because of our academics. Texas is becoming a very big area for us.
Here is my summation: We will get a very good recruiting class. We will recruit nationally. We won't know much about these players as the 'gurus' we read mainly keep up with the SEC states. We won't get much press as the AJC writers & 'gurus' won't know much about them. We will not hit Ga very hard or get many players from Ga(so the Ga fans will stupidly think they kicked our butts & 'own' the state). We will be getting a lot of players from Texas(we'll need a subscription to the Dallas Morning News to know how we did). We won't know how we did for awhile, but this yr's class is turning out nicely.
PS; the 3 committs we have so far for next yr are very good looking players & are just what we need so far. A real good looking DE, Adamm Oliver. A highly thought of & very big Texan at OT, Eddy Parker. An athletic QB that is the #8-10 QB in Tex. That's really a good start.

Now you're talken
wink.gif
Very nice break down with thoughts Ace!

Hoping that Coach today cooled off a lot of fires. Enjoyed not only hearing what he had to say about recruiting, but enjoyed how he said it. There wasn't a feel of "wishy washyness" towards what he feels will make us successfull,"win the ACC and beat UGA every year."

Coach Gailey, "I wouldn't get too bent out of shape," as he was talking about what the recruiting services have to say.

The key word to describe the current state of recruiting at TECH?.....SAD.

The key word to describe Gailey's excuses for the lack of recruiting?.....LAME.

Long term affect on TECH's football program?....DISASTER.

“ We are going after 75-80 youngsters who we have 'evaluated' as being able to help our program & handle the academics here at Tech
Don't necessarily go by the lists people have down here as we are after players from other areas that the people down here haven't heard of.
We are in with a huge OT from Wisconsin who is 6'7 270. People down here haven't heard of him, but Colorado knows about him & Michigan knows about him. He wants to come here because of our academics.
PS; the 3 committs we have so far for next yr are very good looking players & are just what we need so far. A real good looking DE, Adamm Oliver. A highly thought of & very big Texan at OT, Eddy Parker. An athletic QB that is the #8-10 QB in Tex. ”

Good details GTAce:

Then Beeware:
The key word to describe the current state of recruiting at TECH?.....SAD.
The key word to describe Gailey's excuses for the lack of recruiting?.....LAME.
Long term affect on TECH's football program?....DISASTER.

No basis, details, facts, etc… Just “let me spew forth my venom”.

Why, oh why, are you so bitter?
Would you rather lose, but have the coach do it your way?
Would you rather have 80 players from Georgia if it means turning away better talent from out of state?
What exactly is your expectations?
Why?

Some other facts:
Injuries - Georgia Tech:
TB Tony Hollings-Out (Knee) Leading nation in rushing when hurt
DE Greg Gathers-Out (Kidney) All-ACC/American and Tech Career sack leader
OG Gavin Tarquinio-Out (Shoulder)
LB Keyaron Fox-Doubtful (Ankle)
TB Sidney Ford-Out (Concussion) 2nd string TB pushing for 1st when hurt

Where would NC State be right now if they had lost Rivers?
Where would Miami be w/o Dorsey?
How much will losing Cadillac Williams affect Auburn?

How much did losing Burns, Godsey, and Campbell hurt? 60%+ of our total offense last season. This on a team that went 7-5.

To be quite honest, Gailey's comments did not cool off any fires for me. "75-80 youngsters"??! Are you kidding me! That number looks impressive, but it's not. If you take a look at just the ACC schools, every single one of them (with the exception of Duke), has at least 110-120 players that they are recruiting. That's the way it works. You start with a big pool and hope you get a fraction of that pool. This is going to be one helluva rough year recruiting.

Originally posted by CWJackets80:
You start with a big pool and hope you get a fraction of that pool. This is going to be one helluva rough year recruiting.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Did Gailey say that they started with a pool of 75-80?

The problem with message boards is that 1/3 can't read and another 1/3 can't think.

CWJacket, what is your source? Every school starts out with a list of several hundred before they start narrowing things down. Where are most at this point in time? Isn't it a little late in the game to have not narrowed the list?

Not a flame, just asking. And don't give me any Rivals lists of kids interested. That doesn't mean anything. If, however you have some insight and/or connections with another program I would be interested in hearing it.

I see that BW is at it again! Where oh where does he get his info and have such insight. He never offers proof or an explanation as to his insights just more babbling. I wish he would just once tell us where and how he gets such visions.

I don't know what our recruiting haul will look like but we do know that the top teams year in and year out are the schools that sign the high profile athlete. Again, Chan may have some high
profile athletes interested but in this electronic
age you can't hide good high school players. The recruiting gurus are located all over the place-
Super Prep From California is probably the most respected of all the recruiting services and they are not raving about Tech's prospects. By the way,
they have identified several prospects for Tech that neither Rivals or The insiders have listed
but by and large things don't look very promising.
Another factor is that Tech is not leading for a single high profile athlete that are considering the Jackets. I hope this will change.

I'm gonna say this right now. If we don't try and recruit kids in our own state, we'll be in trouble over the long haul. CG has my support at this point. But not recruiting our own state hard is a big mistake, IMO.

We've always recruited nationally. But, ignore Georgia at our own peril.

I've noticed after watching 30 yrs of recruiting,you can't get all superstars but you have to be very careful when you start hearing these descriptions-
1. QB- tall athlete with good arm,threw for 8 TDs,ran for 12 more
2.CB- 5-9,165 with good speed,ran back kicks, 2 int Jr/Sr yr
3.OL-6-6,260,expected to fill-out ,MVP on his team, 2nd string in state region

4, WR 5-11 175, avg 12yds per catch,great possesion rec
5 DL- 6-1,270 40 tme 5.3, 2 sacks in Sr yr,3 TOL
6. TB- 6,185 1007yds for yr,played DB last yr, could be DB in college,avg 4.2 on wishbone team,4.6 in 40
7.LB- 6-2,210,tall rangy athlete ,also plays FB,all-city
AND all these guys are from far away where there is little personal knowledge

But not recruiting our own state hard is a big mistake, IMO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And IMO, (respectfully), I'd prefer to NOT wake up every other morning in August to see the AJC Athens-graduate writers gloating under large headlines about how another Tech signee is ruled academically ineligible!

It is completely ludicrous to think that there are not plenty of Georgia high school athletes that can make it at TECH.
Coach O'leary found plenty of them.
We will pay for this lousy recruiting that this lousy coaching staff is doing.....MARK IT DOWN.

Originally posted by beeware:
It is completely ludicrous to think that there are not plenty of Georgia high school athletes that can make it at TECH.
Coach O'leary found plenty of them.
We will pay for this lousy recruiting that this lousy coaching staff is doing.....MARK IT DOWN.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Really?? What was O'Leary's graduation rate? Why do we need Georgia players as long as the guys we recruit win? That is an honest question. Seriously, post after post about the program being doomed if we don't recruit Georgia. Why do people think this way?

Originally posted by bugboy:
I'm gonna say this right now. If we don't try and recruit kids in our own state, we'll be in trouble over the long haul. CG has my support at this point. But not recruiting our own state hard is a big mistake, IMO.

We've always recruited nationally. But, ignore Georgia at our own peril.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You right and I have yet to hear a rational explanation for why it would be easier to convince kids from Wisconsin to come to GT than it would to get kids from GA. We need to recruit nationally but we can't ignore Georgia.

I believe that you should sign at least 30% of a class from your home state especially one that is as strong as the state of Ga. I also believe a player every once in a while will excell without all the recruiting experts touts. Case in point: Marcus Coleman and Brooking! The one thing I'm sure of is that you BETTER get a lot of your signees from other top 25 type teams.

but how many Burn's are you going to throw in there.

You people need to ask yourself something. If Joe Burns would have gone to another school would he be finishing up his senior year right now?

Is the reason that Mr. Burns is not a college graduate because our coaches convinced him to come to GA Tech?

I am not blaming anyone but if you are going to keep standards high at Tech be prepared to have to look long and hard for student athletes.

our grad rates are dismal and if our current coach feels that this group of GA kids cannot cut it than that is good enough for me

When you talk about recruiting we should only be compared to Duke, Stanford and the like.

Georgia schools are pathetic. It is quite possible that our new coach is trying to upgrade the student part of student-athlete.

If it take going out of state then he needs to go out of state.

what is the percentage of the entire GT student body that is out of state?

somebody throw that number out there and compare it to other schools

Until MIT fields a football team GT is going to be alone and have special cirumstances that dictate special measures.

'rod, Why? Where did you come up with that number? Did you do a statistical analysis of top teams and determine what's a key component of their success? Did a recruiting expert tell you? Did you make it up?

Big Buck I have to disagree with the general gist of your 'can't hide from recruiting gurus' post.

There are a lot of teams doing VERY well this year that are 'out-recruited' BADLY according to the services.

Minnesota and Iowa are a couple of good examples.

And we all know that players that Texas or FSU offer get four or five stars automatically. If Texas offers, the guy must be good!

On another note...

Of course, who else 'offers' a player is obviously big. But do not discount EVERY athlete that has a list of only Stanford, Duke, GT, etc. There are parents out there that will steer their talented football-playing son to a good academic school rather than allowing him to pursue a fake degree at a football factory. I respect those parents although it may not be currently fashionable for parents to influence/direct their children rather than letting them make their own mistakes.
tongue.gif

Back