Well, I feel better about our recruiting

Geeteelee, this not a scientically, statistacally, or proven theory I admit that. I have followed Tech recruiting very closely for about 25yrs. When alums and fans could actively help recruit I did so. I personally was called to Newnan High to meet with Bill Curry, had dinner for Rip Scherrer when he rcruited Newnan also anther assistant at that time, met. I was called to meet them at practice. There were coaches from other colleges presen also. I was on the letter writing campaign and Al Ciraldo visited me at my work. Back then you could phone, write, and speak in person if you saw them on the street. I also attended a coctail party at the new Edge building for these perfectly lgal volunteers. So in my experience with Tech recruiting through the years I have found that a lot of our recruits are not so much listed with blue stars or with 5 ratings or what have you, but in the end when we have had bowl type teams most of our recruits were not only recruited by top 25 teams, but also officially offered scholoships by those teams. That is the most important indication of your class.

I will say that having local kids (Georgia) players helps a College Team get in the papers and on the local TV newscast. That IS a lot of free advertising and it does help sell tickets. No matter how many kids we get from Dallas we will rarelyr be on TV or in the paper and no Texas sidewalk fans are going to buy any tickets.

GT got a lot more (and better) press in Macon when they landed half a dozen recruits down there. If we stop recruiting Middle Georgia we will get coverage like you see in Augusta or Savannah.

The other question is why arent we recruiting Florida harder? If Iowa State and NC State can load up on Florida players surely we can. We should have the 4th most Florida players of any school (since UGA takes 24 GA kids evry year). We are closer to most of them and we are the only close school near a real airport. Miami parents could fly up for $59.

Thanks, 'rod, that makes your post much more credible, at least in my opinion. I've been posting on the Hive for 4 years and here since inception and I've seen a LOT of absolute crap keyed in.

I believe the situation with Chan is that while getting started, he's got to go where he (and his staff) has contacts and influence. It takes time to build relationships and while I think he's working on that, to get a decent recruit class in this year, he's working the areas where he has established relationships. Although he's a Georgia native, he's been gone a long time. I have no basis in fact for this statement, just an opinion I've formed from observation and talking with people close to the program.
grin.gif

Originally posted by GEETEELEE:
Thanks, 'rod, that makes your post much more credible, at least in my opinion. I've been posting on the Hive for 4 years and here since inception and I've seen a LOT of absolute crap keyed in.

I believe the situation with Chan is that while getting started, he's got to go where he (and his staff) has contacts and influence. It takes time to build relationships and while I think he's working on that, to get a decent recruit class in this year, he's working the areas where he has established relationships. Although he's a Georgia native, he's been gone a long time. I have no basis in fact for this statement, just an opinion I've formed from observation and talking with people close to the program.
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I figured when he was selecting assistants, he'd try to get a few guys with strong Georgia ties. I'm hoping Patrick Nix helps us in that regard, since he's from Middle Georgia.

In the long run, the more we can recruit Georgia, the better off our program will be. There is simply too much talent in this state year in and year out to ignore. If GOL (a frickin New York Yankee) could recruit athletes from South Georgia, then Gailey ought to have a field day in this state. That's just MHO.

I'm hoping that our lack of interest in Georgia athletes is a temporary thing.

Buggy, ain't it nice to have a coach with a southern accent?

Originally posted by GEETEELEE:
Buggy, ain't it nice to have a coach with a southern accent?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes, I like the southern accent. But in the end, it doesn't matter. If he's Southern and loses, he's gonna get run out of town anyway. I think CG will do well. I'm just a little worried about the lack of Georgia recruiting. If he feels that he can get athletes from other states and win the ACC and beat Georgia, more power to him...The thing I have a problem with is that Georgia is one of the best states for recruiting. It aint like we're in Arkansas or North Dakota. We've got gobs of talent in our own backyard. Over the long haul, we'll need to bring in home-grown talent to compete.

for all we know CG had a NICE GEORGIA offensive coordinator picked out, but luckily we were able to prevent that.

Couple of points which may not have anything to do with each other but could start a lively discussion.

We have been recruiting Ga better in the O'Leary years than we had before. At least that is the contention of a number of posters.

We have one of the worst graduation rates in the league (actually pretty poor on a national basis). Even with all the faults of this measure it is appalling to most Tech fans/grads.

CG and staff have determined we need to go out of state more because there aren't as many Ga kids who can cut it.

These may be 3 unrelated factors or #3 may follow from 1 and 2. Is our grad rate poor because we kept Ga kids in-state who could not reasonably be expected to graduate? Did we convince kids to come here for football who had no interest in what we offer academically? Were our transfer numbers higher because when football didn't pan out they had nothing to take in school?

Don't know the answer, but it could be a reason for a seeming change in recruiting philosophy. FWIW I think we will still recruit more from GA than any other state, but our percentage of out-of-state players may be higher. But wasn't that true under Ross?

Originally posted by bugboy:
The thing I have a problem with is that Georgia is one of the best states for recruiting. It aint like we're in Arkansas or North Dakota. We've got gobs of talent in our own backyard. Over the long haul, we'll need to bring in home-grown talent to compete.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't buy that statement at all. If Georgia is such a recruiting hotbed, where are all of the conference and national championships in Athens and Atlanta. Yes, Georgia has talent, but the fact is most of it is not qualified to play football and graduate from Georgia Tech. And the ones that are, are probably going to a better football school anyway. Tech has done fine with out of state recruits and it will continue to do well in the future. Before AJ Suggs you have to go back 10 years to find a QB from Georgia that started for Tech. Our two best receivers are from Florida and Louisiana along with our AA lineman. Our best defensive player before he got sick is from La. How many of our starters are from Georgia? The secret is finding the talent and coaching them up.

I think out of 25 signees 7-9 should come from in state to keep a higher profile all around Ga.The main thing other than that is then 12 to 15 should have been offered a ship by a top 25 program. the rest by somewhat lesser programs. Of course a few will only be offered by Tech because the recruiting process has stopped as he has committed early on

Originally posted by gnats 67:
I feel sure TECH will always recruit from the state pool but we must have a broader scope.
If we concentrate on "winning" the state recruits and lose out to "the competition" or to academics, etc., and are left with so-so area or regional talent then we've screwed up. TECH's not conceding the state of Georgia to anybody. We're recruiting on more of a national scale which IMO is a heckuva smart idea.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well said gnats... this thread is hilarious to me... if a kid cant qualify.. why do we want him recruited... Gailey has NEVER said that we werent recruiting Georgia.. he has only said that there were few that qualified.... and as Law pointed out, do we want more of the same that we encountered with Burns?

My feeling is this... I dont know the details of the evaluation criteria, I only know the basics... Gailey, etc, are the ones who know the details, they have been hired to do a job... let them do the job... and it doesnt matter to me if a 6-6 300 pounder comes from Albany, Ga, Albany, New York, or New Orleans... I dont care... why should I care? I only care that we get the guy who can play, and make the grades at Tech... and as others have pointed out... if we take care of the W's, kids will want to attend Tech...

Originally posted by beeware:
The key word to describe the current state of recruiting at TECH?.....SAD.

The key word to describe Gailey's excuses for the lack of recruiting?.....LAME.

Long term affect on TECH's football program?....DISASTER.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Based on what Beeware? Give us the factual details that back up this opinion of yours...

jacketguy, don't ask Beeware a question, he won't answer and it just frustrates you.

Jacketup, you said a third of the board can't read, and a third of the board can't think. Where does that leave the rest of us?

wink.gif

techrod,you are right on. I too had the priveledge to assist in our recruiting efforts during the same period you reference and even got to sit with Coach Dodd as a reward. All of the mystery created by the recruiting services/mags/max howell's of the world/barking dawgs etc. can easily be solved by looking at who else "OFFERED" the kid. Was it Texas/Texas A&M or Rice/SMU? If you do this for last year's so called poor class you will quickly realize it's a pretty good class...just small. THWG

I feel sure TECH will always recruit from the state pool but we must have a broader scope.
If we concentrate on "winning" the state recruits and lose out to "the competition" or to academics, etc., and are left with so-so area or regional talent then we've screwed up. TECH's not conceding the state of Georgia to anybody. We're recruiting on more of a national scale which IMO is a heckuva smart idea.

Believe it or not, we have a SERIOUS handicap in recruiting in Georgia and that is UGA fans. The typical redneck that has never set foot on UGA's campus except to attend a football game. I have a friend whose neighbor's son is an excellent student and supurb athlete. His father is WILL NOT ALLOW HIM TO EVEN TALK TO TECH. This man has no ties to UGA other than "he's a bulldog through and through". He don't want his son attending "that school in downtown Atlanta with all the fags, foreigners and blacks (he actually used a racial slur here)". This is the perception we have to overcome in the state of Georgia when recruiting in addition to the usual poor schooling and limited circulum. This type of prejudice against Tech is pervasive in rural Georgia and generally doesn't exist out of state.

It takes a special student to suceed at Tech, and an even more special student-athlete to succeed. There simply isn't enough of them in Georgia, so we HAVE to recruit nationwide to compete. We aren't taking left-overs or people nobody else wanted- we are searching for that very special player that will be successful at Tech.

The way some fonts have posted in this string and others concerning our coaches make me appreciate the Hive more and more. And before you say it, the Hive DOES allow opposing views, over there it must be said civilly and with at least a little rational reasoning behind the view being stated.

winning will solve this and ALL other problems. If CG right now is more comfortable recruiting elsewhere that is ok.

There are MANY great recruiting programs that do not hit their state hard.

If WE WIN I dont care where he gets the students from.

If you people want to complain about W and L's then that I understand, but if you are complaining about geographic origin of a student athlete I think that is stupid.

We will know soon enough whether he can recruit nationally.

Back