Well, so much for Plan B

beej67

new around here
I was pretty excited to see our offense this year because we had a go-to formation and set of plays we could use if our opponents had torqued up 100% to stop the option out of the base spread, and were whipping us on the line. Then the one opponent who always defends the base option the best ... didn't use it.

Man, that number of false starts was Chanesque, and those passes sure looked a lot like Reggie Ball. Lot of zip, straight to the line judge.

This isn't a season ending loss, any more than our loss to Miami was season ending in 2009, but god almighty, that was the worst offense I've seen since Bill Lewis. This loss was almost as bad as getting boat raced by Tyrod Taylor in a practice jersey, except that VT team was actually a good team. This VT team is probably the worst they've had this century.

Oh well. At least Miami might be over confident.

It was Sean Glennon. I didn't see the diamond formation a single time. Not sure it would have mattered a lot.

We'll never know, will we?

Was stupid not to at least try it, but then again there was a lot of stupid going around tonight on the offensive side of the ball. I think we had more than one false start from every position except QB.

I never thought I would see the offense as anemic as it was tonight. This loss is all on CPJ. Hard to reckon with. Very winnable game and he got out coached by a guy named Bud. Worst play calling I have ever seen. I feel like I am in alternative universe or something.

Most puzzling thing to me offensively was the lack of bubble/tunnel screens. Their true freshman corners were playing a ten yard cushion, often with no safety help over the top, and we ran go routes and deep post routes that Vad overthrew. Throw a few öööö screens, curls, come backs, whatever. We could have punished their huge cushion, but we did nothing of the sort. Disappointing.

Most puzzling thing to me offensively was the lack of bubble/tunnel screens. Their true freshman corners were playing a ten yard cushion, often with no safety help over the top, and we ran go routes and deep post routes that Vad overthrew. Throw a few öööö screens, curls, come backs, whatever. We could have punished their huge cushion, but we did nothing of the sort. Disappointing.

This. It was killing me all night.

Everyone agrees with you, beej. And sadly, everyone seemed to know what we needed to do too...except our own coach.

I kept saying..."where's Plan B? Use it!!!"

The whole point of the offense is to suck the safeties in and then throw over the top of them. Mission achieved .... and then we didn't throw over the top of them except perhaps twice.

VT ran two coverages against us. Cover 4 and Cover Zero. And Bud beat CPJ on rock paper scissor every time with those two coverages. We were always throwing deep into Cover 4 and running at Cover Zero.

That said, even with our ööööty lack of adjustment we still would have beaten those clowns without the dozen false starts or the three (?) turnovers. You can only suck so bad without blaming everyone. Everyone's to blame.

Vad looked just like Reggie out there. I mean just like Reggie.

They need about a month of practice to get ready for Miami. Vad has got to settle down. I was bout ready to see Thomas or Whitey ..I know Whitey can run it...he ran in high-school. I've been so excited bout Vad and he was lost!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I was pretty excited to see our offense this year because we had a go-to formation and set of plays we could use if our opponents had torqued up 100% to stop the option out of the base spread, and were whipping us on the line. Then the one opponent who always defends the base option the best ... didn't use it.

We did use it. It didn't work.

If you were referring to the "diamond" formation, the reason why it looked so good against Duke was because we could run the ball. Anyone that thinks some formation is going to save us from the issues we had tonight probably needs to watch the game again.

We did use it. It didn't work.

If you were referring to the "diamond" formation, the reason why it looked so good against Duke was because we could run the ball. Anyone that thinks some formation is going to save us from the issues we had tonight probably needs to watch the game again.

The whole point of the diamond is to run our base stuff far enough away from the point of attack that getting blown up on the interior doesn't doom the whole play. Otherwise the whole formation is pointless.

Or do you maintain that the formation is in fact pointless?

The only times we ran out of the pistol were big gains.

Blocking and timing were horrible. You can't adjust to that. Another game is next. Vad will be better. I truly believe that. It was a bad match up. We will have our shot to improve. VT will have their flop at some point.

The only times we ran out of the pistol were big gains.

We had maybe two big gains out of the pistol. Then they adjusted and started overload blitzing. There were also inexplicable times where they just sent four and we let two guys loose and Vad got flushed out of pocket.

Didn't really matter if we were in pistol, shotgun, diamond, punt formation. We weren't blocking their defensive front.

Going back to the big gains... I believe both times Vad was in the process of getting hit. We were lucky those were big gains and not INTs.

CPJ said:
What was the bigger issue Virginia Tech’s defensive scheme or their personnel?

“The scheme is not any different then what most people play against us. The players are pretty good, but for whatever reason, it seems like we self-destruct. The first series we fumble the ball and we practiced that 8 million times with that guy coming in there. Then on the second series we’re moving the ball fairly well, but then we have to receivers who are on the back side of the play who are offsides - just a total lack of concentration. We also had a right guard who jumped two or three times on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3. We’ve got to do a better job coaching.”
According to CPJ, we expected the whip LB blitz. Thought I remember teams doing that to us in the past. Maybe VT.

CPJ said:
How confident are you that you are going to get good at running the option?

“I’m confident that we’re going to get better at it. We’re either going to get better at it or we’re going to have other people playing.”
CPJ will need to get "Plan A" fixed.

Vad didn't look near as good as Reggie. At least Reggie got angry. I saw fail series out of us over and over. I saw the most confused end of the game, time wasting, "hurry" up offense I have ever witnessed. It was more like no blocking, Vad run for your life and chuck it.

If we can't make 2-3 yards on 3rd or 4th down and short, we deserve to lose. We can't block for Jack öööö nothing. Not on the lines, not on the edge.

I hope our defense can keep us from getting humiliated the weekend after Thanksgiving. We goin to get whipped.

They need about a month of practice to get ready for Miami. Vad has got to settle down. I was bout ready to see Thomas or Whitey ..I know Whitey can run it...he ran in high-school. I've been so excited bout Vad and he was lost!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

:rotfl:..whitey

"If we can't make 2-3 yards on 3rd or 4th down and short, we deserve to lose. We can't block for Jack öööö nothing. Not on the lines, not on the edge."

Exactly right.

Add 1: If the defense is beating you off the snap, we deserve to lose.
Add 2: If the line that is getting beat off the snap, jumps the snap repeatedly, we deserve to lose.

Multiple chances in 4th qtr at home to go ahead or tie, despite a really poor performance. Just didn't do it.

Really disappointing, and frankly unexpected.

I look forward to someone breaking down this game on ESPN3. Our base O was useless last night.

Back