Well, so much for Plan B

Might want to get an early jump on those rooms in El Paso!!

Maybe Paul should spend some time this week working on plan C, or "what to do when the offensive-line I've recruited and coached and talked up play like turnstiles".

Nice to see the hurry-up, no-huddle make an appearance though. Cause we certainly hurried the offense off the field.

Smelter spent the entire 4th quarter in single man coverage with a corner he showed he could beat. We never started passing that quarter until VT started pulling the safeties back toward the end, when they knew we had to throw. I guess if I knew what I was talking about, I'd be coaching, but I would have looked Smelter's way to get us moving. He's not the red pepper flakes you sprinkle on your pizza... he's the pepperoni. We have a legit threat at WR and we need to trust him with the game in his hamds.

The whole point of the offense is to suck the safeties in and then throw over the top of them. Mission achieved .... and then we didn't throw over the top of them except perhaps twice.

VT ran two coverages against us. Cover 4 and Cover Zero. And Bud beat CPJ on rock paper scissor every time with those two coverages. We were always throwing deep into Cover 4 and running at Cover Zero.

That said, even with our ööööty lack of adjustment we still would have beaten those clowns without the dozen false starts or the three (?) turnovers. You can only suck so bad without blaming everyone. Everyone's to blame.

Vad looked just like Reggie out there. I mean just like Reggie.

Good point on the coverages. Could they have been running some sort of hybrid where the coverage was dictated after the snap based on keys? Seems like that would be the only way to "guess right" every time.

Here were VT's coverages:

50% of the game, Cover 0, no safeties.
25% of the game, Cover 2
25% of the game, Cover 4 with a huge cushion

Against that Cover 0 we could easily get 30 yards a completion, but instead we ran it into their teeth and got pwned.

Against their Cover 4 we could easily get 10 yards on the smoke route, but we never tried it once.

They never disguised their coverages. We never passed, it seemed, unless we absolutely had to.

Based on what I saw, this is what I predict happened pregame:

Bud Foster: Hey Johnson! I've got the blueprint to stop your option!
Paul Johnson: Bullsh*t you do
Bud: Don't believe me? I bet you a hundred bucks.
Paul Johnson: We'll see about that.

The play calling was as if PJ was trying to prove something to Bud, instead of trying to win the game by whatever means Bud left available.

BUT THERE WERE ALSO the kabillion turnovers and false starts and ReggieEsque passes and crap blocking. So, you know, a lot of stupid to spread around.

25% of the game, Cover 2

Against that Cover 0 we could easily get 30 yards a completion, but instead we ran it into their teeth and got pwned.

Against their Cover 4 we could easily get 10 yards on the smoke route, but we never tried it once.

They never disguised their coverages. We never passed, it seemed, unless we absolutely had to.

BUT THERE WERE ALSO the kabillion turnovers and false starts and ReggieEsque passes and crap blocking. So, you know, a lot of stupid to spread around.

If you can't block for crap because they are sending 6-7-8 guys, what do you do? Run screens, quick slants, come backs, etc. Especially when they are in Cover 0 or Cover 2 with a huge cushion. When you've got a 6'5" 220 pound receiver going against a 5'10 180 pound true freshman corner who is giving him a big cushion, you have got to at least try the screen a few times. One good stiff arm and it's 6. Not to mention that you don't need the OL to block well because the ball is out of the QBs hand immediately.

Some of the worst playcalling I've ever witnessed.

25% of the game, Cover 2

Based on what I saw, this is what I predict happened pregame:

The play calling was as if PJ was trying to prove something to Bud, instead of trying to win the game by whatever means Bud left available.

Not the first time CPJ's ego has hurt the team.

Some of the worst playcalling I've ever witnessed.

This is what makes this loss so tough for me. I don't think the better team won. I did not see a talent gap. The game was ours to lose.

We could have won with that playcalling if we didn't have the turnovers and false starts. We could have overcome the turnovers and false starts with better playcalling.

There was plenty of stupid to go around on offense.

Back